walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ciste Dhubh - Quick! Run Away!

Ciste Dhubh - Quick! Run Away!

Postby mountain coward » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:43 am

Route description: Ciste Dhubh and Am Bathach, Cluanie

Munros included on this walk: Ciste Dhubh

Corbetts included on this walk: Am Bathach

Date walked: 23/06/2010

Time taken: 5 hours

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Stats: 10 miles, 3300 feet of ascent, 5 hours, me and Richard… Very late start (1300-ish) due to having to wait for my windscreen fixing!

Our last walking day in Glen Shiel was the day I was having my windscreen replaced. I got a call from the fitter at 0830 saying he’d arrive around 1030 – he was bang on time! However, the windscreen took an hour to fit and he then tried to shut the bonnet but couldn’t get it to stay down. Basically the safety catch mechanism had rusted through! Now at this point the guy could have just left but, very decently of him, he stayed and did a temporary fix so we could get home next day without the bonnet flying up and beheading us both! By now it was 1140 – we’d already loaded the car with our walking stuff and were just about to jump in when he informed us that we had to wait until 1230 for the windscreen glue to set so we couldn’t go anywhere until then! Oh well… it was still fairly sunny so we just sat on the nice bench in front of the holiday let and sunbathed…

As we sat, the skies started to darken and the cloud began to descend… By 1230, it was pretty clagged in. We had already decided that, due to the shortness of walking time left, we’d go and tackle one of my bête-noirs, Ciste Dhubh! Ugh!

Ciste Dubh.jpg

We drove off up the glen to the Cluanie Inn and parked up in the layby just past the hotel. Luckily the cloud base was quite a bit higher up at the top of the glen. I reluctantly put my boots on and we set off, starting up the nice, short and easy climb up Am Bathach. I really liked this hill… it was a very quick ascent and a lovely undulating ridge. The book had said ‘narrow’ which had worried me but it was just right – superb views both sides too. The ridge started off with a strong crosswind but that abated – possibly due to becoming sheltered by Aonach Mheadhoin & co. Bearing in mind it was to be a very narrow ridge along Ciste Dhubh, I was really relieved about that!

On Am Bhathach.jpg
An Bhathach-looking back.jpg

There was a very steep grassy descent from Am Bathach to the fairly featureless and extensive col. I was pleased this was out of the cloud as it would have been very awkward to find the path up Ciste Dhubh if not. There were sketchy sections of path across the bealach which we managed to join together until we finally saw where the path went up our Munro objective. The path up the first part of that looked horribly steep and I was surprised to see it went up above the only crags on the slope. I couldn’t see why it didn’t just go up the plain grassy slopes either side. Anyway, we soon reached it and I found that the craggy section had a nice flat platform above it which broke up the steepness of the ascent nicely so I was happy… The lower section of path up to the crags was fine but very boggy indeed…

A great zig-zag path went up to the top of the steep slope and it seemed we were soon up where it levelled off and headed for the narrow bits. The book had said that the right hand side of Ciste Dhubh was craggy (which I knew from seeing it from the road) and that the left hand side was ‘incredibly steep’ – not words I wanted to see in the Munro book, which normally keeps such superlatives out of its descriptions!

The first narrow peak reared up in front of us. I was wondering whether we went up it and along the top or whether the path sneaked along the back. I soon found that, after ascending about half way up it, the path did indeed sneak off along the back. But of course, this was a traverse above the ‘incredibly steep’ grassy drop… I was not comfortable! The path seemed to go on forever – I shuffled along in the front, trying not to get dizzy and fall off it, trip over anything or any other such disaster. I repeatedly warned Richard to ‘be careful, don’t slip’ etc. (I’m surprised he doesn’t take to wearing an i-Pod or similar to block me out!)

We eventually reached the end of this section where I was pleased to see that the continuation along the ridge was nice and wide. However, I could see the summit rearing ahead – and that did look narrow! I started to really doubt my ability to make the summit but decided to wait until I got there and saw it properly. My basic plan was to somehow reach the summit and then beggar off straight on down the ridge which went NE to the pass through to Glen Affric.

The pleasant ridge went on comfortably for quite a while but then suddenly we came to a short descent – the other side of which was a horrible looking, narrow, rocky arête! I just stopped dead and said to Richard, “I can’t do this”. He said I had to keep going and give it a go as we’d come so far… he also pointed out that there was a path just down below the crest (I hadn’t seen that in my panic). I looked and it looked fairish so I hesitantly continued. However, the final climb to the summit looked really narrow and nasty now…

Ciste Dhubh summit.jpg

We were soon at the end of the path traversing below the arête and at the final climb to the summit – it looked truly terrifying to me. The main thoughts circulating repeatedly in my head were the words I’d been PM’d on the site from a lady (not sure who it was now) who’d read my Glen Shiel reports from 2008 and had just commented; “It will be interesting to see what you make of Ciste Dhubh”. I started with my ‘terrible noises’ again (of the Glen Dessary Sgurr nan Coireachean descent fame)… I knew my face was contorted into a dreadful expression and hoped Richard wouldn’t see it – but he could certainly hear me… He kept urging me from behind to ‘keep going’ which I did. I was aware that the left hand side of the mountain was more or less vertical now – all the way down to the glen around 3000 feet below – I was more scared of this side than the crags to my right!

I just kept my feet moving as carefully as I could and eventually reached the summit cairn. Richard was right behind me. After a quick glance at my intended continuation down the far side of the peak and a quick rejection of it, I just said to him; “I’m not stopping, I’m going straight back down”. I asked him to go in front and we set off back down the fearsome narrow ridge. It was slightly loose and I have to admit to sometimes crouching down and grabbing the ground at the sides. We continued along the path under the arête which was slightly worse in descent but reached the grassy col without mishap. I managed to put my face back how it should be before Richard saw it and died of fright.

At this point, I looked again down the grassy slope on the craggy side (now our left) and decided that was my escape route. I said I was going that way and set off down the extremely steep grass. I’d said Richard could go whichever way he liked but he dutifully followed me. This was probably much steeper than anything I’ve previously tackled but it was short and that was all that mattered.

We were soon in the corrie and I was fleeing down the grassy slopes to the valley, upsetting two sets of deer in the process. Richard hates those kind of descents on pathless, wet, tussocky grass and it was by now clouding right in and raining, but he didn’t say anything.

Soon after we were on the valley floor of the pass which goes to Glen Affric. I was suddenly overtaken with jubilation at reaching the valley and proceeded to drive Richard completely mad for the next 3 or so boggy miles out of the glen! I sang the Hallelujah Chorus, a mad Welsh song with lots of ‘Fal-la-la-la-las’ in various keys, I patted him on the back, I skipped, I danced and laughed hysterically and told him we’d ‘escaped’. I was just so happy that I never had to go up there again! He is pretty used to my behaviour so just plodded on stoically. I did ask him at one point which one of me he preferred – the mad celebrating one currently manifesting itself, the very quiet one brooding over potential problems looming ahead on a peak, or the one making the terrible noises – admittedly, he did choose the mad celebrating one.

I did offer to buy him a drink in the Clachaig but he generously bought them instead. I was so happy to be back at my car, despite the, by now, torrential rain and terrible midges.

Postscript: wrote this quite a while back and of course have now read several more reports and looked at others’ pics of this and now feel I probably was having a very bad day, had built it up too much in my mind, and should probably go and give it another go! Not sure Richard would come with me though...
Last edited by mountain coward on Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
mountain coward

Re: Ciste Dhubh - Quick! Run Away!

Postby Scotjamie » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:38 am

hugely enjoyable and personal report as always mc.
mountain coward wrote:now feel I probably was having a very bad day, had built it up too much in my mind,

We fearties can interpret reports and pics and end up over-anxious and intimidated. I combined CD with Mullach Fraoch coire and A Chralaig many (many) years back and don't remember CD being so bad, almost certainly because I read almost nothing about it beforehand.
Kinley was kind enough to write on my Sgurr a Mhadaidh report:- "it's far more impressive seeing someone challenging their own demons than reading about those without those fears skipping up and down these hills"
Well done
Scotjamie
Wanderer

Munros:148   

Postby monty » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:25 pm

Hi MC,
Your narrative puts mine to shame. Its the same old story, you girlies are imaginative, creative and artistic whilst us guys are just neanderthalls :lol: :lol: You should take up writing because you tell a good story :D Doing this walk in the week it didn't seem much atall but I was impressed by Ciste Dhubhs ridge and final ascent. Well done :D
monty

Postby skuk007 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:54 pm

Great report MC - you certainly put yourself through it on occasions. Well done for continuing when in doubt, and to Richard too for giving you the encouragement to persist. He obviously knows you can do these things when you put your mind to it.

Going by your pics I wouldn't like to be on that final ridge in any sort of windy conditions.
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby mountain coward » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:22 pm

Scotjamie - Ciste Dhubh and the narrow ridge the other side of the glen?? That would really do my head in... I've got to work up to the other ridge yet and it looks far, far worse! :o But there I go again... building it up into something awful before I get there!

Thanks for the other kinds words folks - I have taken up writing... on here! :lol: I definitely don't think I would have done it if that high wind had continued! But I didn't have much choice about whether I continued as when I got to the bad bits, the escape path back down the ridge was blocked by a Richard! :lol:
mountain coward

Postby Cuil Lodair » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:42 am

mountain coward wrote:Scotjamie - Ciste Dhubh and the narrow ridge the other side of the glen?? That would really do my head in... I've got to work up to the other ridge yet and it looks far, far worse! :o But there I go again... building it up into something awful before I get there!

Just to cheer you up....it is worse! :)
Cuil Lodair
Munro compleatist

Munros:91   Corbetts:76
Fionas:27   
Sub 2000:8   

Postby walk aboot » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:13 pm

Top report MC :D . Was having a oh oh here we go chuckle at the title before I read it :lol:
walk aboot

Munros:36   Corbetts:4
Donalds:1
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   Islands:27

Postby houdi » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:48 pm

Just missed you this time MC! I attempted to do this hill at the beginnng of May but had to give up as I had been ill for 3 days beforehand and didn't have the energy. Finally got round to it on the 18th August although I combined it with Aonach Meadhoin. Let's just say it was slightly easier than Liathac :D
houdi
Rambler

Munros:93   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:74
Wainwrights:48   

Postby mountain coward » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:46 pm

Cuil Lodair wrote:
mountain coward wrote:Scotjamie - Ciste Dhubh and the narrow ridge the other side of the glen?? That would really do my head in... I've got to work up to the other ridge yet and it looks far, far worse! :o But there I go again... building it up into something awful before I get there!

Just to cheer you up....it is worse! :)

AAAAARRRRGHHHH!!!! :o :shock: horrible hills!

Me and Richard are actually thinking Glen Shiel could be a good target for our second September trip (the first is Ullapool) so I may well find out this time what Mullach Fraoch Coire ridge is like :o Now your words will be the ones circulating in my head when I get that ridge!

Houdi - I'm sure it is easier than Liathach but I'm seeing Liathach as the hardest obstacle I have to tackle outside of Skye and I think I'm probably right, having got the Aonach Eagach and An Teallach (which I quite enjoyed) out of the way!
mountain coward

Postby houdi » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:13 am

I have to be honest with you here, MC. I found the pinnacles on An Teallach more of a challenge than those on Liathac (and more enjoyable), but the bypass path on Liathac definitely looks much more exposed than the one on An Teallach. Bear in mind that it is only for a short distance around the main pinnacles though and I met 3 blokes from Glasgow who used the path and said it's pretty easy providing it's tackled on a dry day when the path isn't wet. Bear in mind that the main pinnacle (which the path avoids) is very wide and certainly no harder than anything on the Aonach Eagach. As with all pinnacles there are easier lines to follow, so you may not have to use the path at all. You have to remember that all these scrambling routes tend to get hyped up, so it's probably best not to get any preconceived ideas. I've done that in the past and ended up wondering what all the fuss was about.
houdi
Rambler

Postby mountain coward » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:17 am

:lol: You haven't read my reports :D I went round the Corrag Buidhe pinnacles on An Teallach... you'd need to read my walk report for Aonach Eagach - The Coward's Route - basically I did it in 2 separate walks - one for the western Munro from the Pap of Glencoe, and the central Munro from the back from Kinlochleven! Definitely didn't go anywhere near the ridge/pinnacles...

I've been having quite a good study of both Liathach's pinnacles and the bypass path and can see that in many places neither of them are for me... I'm not even sure descending back down the Eastern end of Liathach is for me - it looks terrifyingly steep and then there's the scrambling at the top back down into the corrie - that looks horrid from what I've seen... I'll probably only be able to get back down that end with someone with me - I doubt I'd be happy on my own.

And then of course, there's Skye :(
mountain coward

Postby houdi » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:27 am

Yeah, I'm beginning to see that you've opened up a whole new avenue of hill walking :D
The East descent on Liathac looks steeper than it actually is. There is a pretty decent path back down which basically runs across at an angle into the Corrie and I'm sure you won't have any difficulties there. I went to Skye four times in early May and couldn't even see the Cuillins on any of those days. I'm hoping to have a whole week there next year. I am expecting my scrambling skills to be tested to their limits!!
houdi
Rambler

Postby mountain coward » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:24 am

Yeah I think they will be! Richard's looking forward to getting to Skye - he keeps saying we've got to at least go and have a look soon and try one of the easier ones... I think it would probably do me good to do what some people have done, which is to go into the various corries, Lagan, a' Ghrunnda etc. and have a mooch up and down some of the scree slopes and so on to get a feel for the place... If I do that, I invariably perform better when I have to do it for real.
mountain coward

Postby houdi » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:58 pm

There's nothing at all wrong with doing a recon. I've done plenty myself and they give you confidence for the actual real thing. I would be happy to just do Sgurr nan Gillean and at least be able to say I finally made it on to the Cuillins. I would love to Scramble up the In Pinn. I think I am ready for the challenge but as I do all my walking/scrambling solo, I'm not sure how I will be able to get back down. I don't want a rope for the ascent, but I've been told the guides won't allow this. Mind you, I will need to be luckier with the weather than I was this year. Is that place always covered in cloud and mist?
houdi
Rambler

Postby kinley » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:23 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Always interesting to see the diametrically opposed view in action ;)

I'm looking forward to your Skye reports MC :angel:
kinley

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland