walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall Chuaich - A Munro is what you make of it..

Meall Chuaich - A Munro is what you make of it..

Postby Coutts94 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:27 am

Route description: Meall Chuaich, Drumochter

Munros included on this walk: Meall Chuaich

Date walked: 14/09/2020

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 678m

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

So I was looking for a nice easy walk, within reasonable distance from Inverness, and stumbled upon Meall Chuaich.

Reading the reports, I was not inspired by what everyone was saying. It was instantly put on the list with Am Faochagach and Fionn Beinn. :lol: But I was wrong.

So I started at the usual Layby 94 going South on the A9. Joined by my Spaniel Lexi.. I also had my drone with me so was unsure how that combination as going to work..

Anyway I followed the well made road to the Powerstation, no people about so I finally got to fly my drone :D I have to say some of the footage is stunning, the video at the end does it more justice!

r.png

They say beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and I think this is true for Munros. If you go by some of the reports you would think this would be an uninspiring walk, yes technically it is a bit of a grassy lump, but the views are still excellent!

The path is well signposted all the way to the bottom part of the Munro, just beyond the bothy.

The climb looks pretty steep from the bottom, but you get up there in no time :lol: It is also done in steps, so you get a little but of a breather between the steeper parts.

Then before you know it you will be at the top of Meall Chuaich!

i.png

It is grassy and vast, no crags or steep bits. But at the end of the day, it is what you make of it. :clap:

Here is my video I have made of my day out with Lexi -

Good memories for a great day out - and if it inspires someone else to do the walk, then all the better!
Coutts94
Mountain Walker

Munros:244   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   

Re: Meall Chuaich - A Munro is what you make of it..

Postby kenncunn » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:36 pm

Not a munro I was particularly looking forward to as still to do but nice video.I will maybe tag it onto Carn na Caim and A'Bhuidheanach Bheag to make for a longer walk
kenncunn
Mountaineer

Postby Coutts94 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:16 pm

kenncunn wrote:Not a munro I was particularly looking forward to as still to do but nice video.I will maybe tag it onto Carn na Caim and A'Bhuidheanach Bheag to make for a longer walk

Thanks! I enjoyed the walk anyway, good idea tagging them on.. that would be a good day out!
Coutts94
Mountain Walker

Munros:244   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   

Postby mrssanta » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:13 pm

I really loved this hill despite a midge attack, superb views from the top
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby KatTai » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:18 pm

My two dogs had great fun doing this one, lots of nice boggy bits and a loch to stop for a swim in perfect walk as far as they are concerned :lol:
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

Postby R1ggered » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:54 pm

Liked the video. Done this munro many years ago and enjoyed it but rather than up and back the same way you can without much effort come back heading a little North West off the summit down to loch chuaich and a nice walk back.
R1ggered
Mountain Walker

Munros:175   

Postby Anne C » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:19 pm

I agree - thought this was a lovely hill. Saw a peregrine falcon during our ascent too, which made it very memorable too.
Anne C
Walker

Munros:142   Corbetts:30
Fionas:34   Donalds:29
Sub 2000:48   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:57

Postby Bonxie1 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:41 pm

Enjoyed the video! May be doing this later in the week, weather permitting!
Bonxie1
Munro compleatist

Munros:25   

Postby Jim777 » Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:36 pm

To kenncunn and Coutts94 I would just say don’t underestimate what you are considering e.g. tagging Meall Chuaich onto A’ Bhuidheanach Bheag and Carn na Caim. I have been up Meall Chuaich from the col between it and Bogha-cloiche and it is a steep 1,000ft. I have gone up onto Bogha-cloiche and headed SW to Creag Tharsuinn, A’ Mharconaich and Creag Liath before descending via An Sguabach. Likewise I have gone up onto Carn na Caim via the ridge between Coire Uilleim and Coire Bhathaich and descended the ridge between Coire Cam and Coire Chais. Once you leave the summit of Carn na Caim there are no paths and the ground is not easy going apart from the initial descent. It would be approximately 30km from leaving the road to hitting the road again at Lay-by 94. The track descending North from Creag Tharsuinn down the Eastern end of Coire Chuaich to the col at 614m is pretty indistinct and may be difficult to find from above. If you are going to do it make sure it’s a good day with good visibility especially for the bit between Carn na Caim and finding the descent off of Bogha-cloiche. Best of luck.
Jim777
Mountain Walker

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland