walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Scarpa Manta Pro GTX

Scarpa Manta Pro GTX

Postby gmars70970 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:19 am

hi all,

Just joined the forum and looking for some insight.

I've recently purchased a pair of Scarpa Manta Pro GTX to replace my current Scarpa terra's, on what i think was a good deal.
I'm planning on doing the Buachaille Etive Mor this week, would the Manta's be over kill this week with the planned weather? Worried i get out there & my feet start melting.

Does anybody use these boots more regularly than in the depths of winter.

Thanks in advance

Graeme
gmars70970
Mountain Walker

Munros:16   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   

Re: Scarpa Manta Pro GTX

Postby LobeyD » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:52 pm

I would be more worried about the terrain and how well worn in they are than the temperature. Both standard access routes are pretty steep and rough and the Mantas are not very nimble and very stiff, particularly if new. Would not do this as your first proper walk in them or at least make sure you have something to change into. I typically only use mine on a crampon day though.
LobeyD

Munros:254   Corbetts:94
Fionas:38   Donalds:27
Sub 2000:1   

Postby gmars70970 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:03 pm

Thanks 👍
Ive only done a short 5mile walk locally in them so far, but my wife's keen to do the lost valley on Friday so i might wear them then to bed them in a bit more.
Understand they are a winter boot & designed for harsher conditions than walking the dog round the local park lol

Just desperate to try them out properly.
gmars70970
Mountain Walker

Postby gman » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:07 pm

I've got Manta Pros and only wear them in the snow. They're heavy and warm so they'll make the walk harder and your feet will sweat so there's a higher risk of blisters, especially when they're new. I found I had to adapt the way I walked with stiffer soled boots, which makes sense on winter routes but less in autumn.

Another thing to consider is the deep tread which is great for walking in snow, you don't want to wear that out by wearing them all year round - ie you'll get more winters out of them if you save them for when they're needed. I wore the Mantas on SCNL at the end of Feb and a pair of trainers on the Buachaille just after the 5 mile limit was lifted.

Mantas :thumbup:
SCNL 7-2-2020 039.JPG

trainers :thumbup:
Curved Ridge 6-7-2020 012.JPG
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

Postby davekeiller » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:16 pm

Mantas are definitely overkill.
Having said that, I have known people have mantas as their main mountain boot as they could only afford one pair for all seasons. Most people do, however, find it more comfortable to have a summer pair and a winter pair.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby gmars70970 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:45 pm

Brilliant thanks everyone.

I'll stick to my old Scarpa's for now and use my Manta's when the weather starts to change.

Appreciate all the info
gmars70970
Mountain Walker

Postby gmars70970 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:42 pm

Wore my Adidas Terrex trainers for the Buachaille Etive Mor, and glad i did, the weather was brilliant and boots would have been to warm that day.

This weekend i climbed Bidean Nam Bain wearing my Scarpa Terra's, another cracking day out. But i think my old boots have finally had their last outing, i keep going over on my right ankle with them on. Tried new insoles etc but nothing helps.
Time to get the Manta's tried out 👌
gmars70970
Mountain Walker

Postby Dom_89 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:18 am

gmars70970 wrote:hi all,

Just joined the forum and looking for some insight.

I've recently purchased a pair of Scarpa Manta Pro GTX to replace my current Scarpa terra's, on what i think was a good deal.
I'm planning on doing the Buachaille Etive Mor this week, would the Manta's be over kill this week with the planned weather? Worried i get out there & my feet start melting.

Does anybody use these boots more regularly than in the depths of winter.

Thanks in advance

Graeme

In the main, I wear mine all year round. They are stiff, granted but they're bullet proof when it comes to any boggy or wet conditions. Lighter socks tend to help when wearing them in the summer but I opt for trainers on simple routes with good paths. I have been wearing mine for the last 3-4 years so they're well worn in.
Dom_89
Mountain Walker

Munros:94   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk