walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Schiehallion

Schiehallion

Postby seamus0 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:40 pm

Route description: Schiehallion

Munros included on this walk: Schiehallion

Date walked: 28/08/2010

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 9 km

Ascent: 650m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It being a rather special day (my 40th b/day!) I thought I'd drag my wife up a wee hill. As she hadnt done a munro before, it had to be something relatively short and easy. Schiehallion seemed to have ticked all these boxes! Although on the map it looked as though there could be tricky bits, there wasn't really anything to worry about, and I would recommend this hill for first timers, or who might be a bit concerned in their map reading capabilities. The start of the walk is easy to find. coming from Aberfeldy on the B846 for 13km or so heading towards Loch Tummel, take a small road signed Schiehallion Road. You'll drive past Loch Kinardochy on your right and the Braes of Foss on your left. Stay on this small forest road for 2 or 3 km, and you will see the Braes of Foss car park on your left. There should be plenty of room here to park your car, with toilets.
Start the walk at the far (southern) end of the car park, where there is a sign for Schiehallion and an excellent path.
P8280001.JPG
Beginning of Path

You should see the route clearly as the path ascends up the mountain up to the ridge to about 850m so all you should have to worry about is the relatively short climb. It should take about 1hr to get to the point where the path stops, but most of the climbing is now done at this point. All along the route there are good views of Loch Tummel and the surrounding countryside.
P8280004.JPG
Loch Tummel

The path then stops at the beggining of the boulder field. this is marked by the first of several cairns.
P8280013.JPG
First Cairn

From here the path slowly disappears but the route up the boulder field is easy to follow.
P8280014.JPG
Route up

After about another hour of navigating your ankles over the boulders and rocks, the top can be easily seen and becomes more rocky.
P8280021.JPG
Nearly there!

Finally at the top at 1083m, a small cairn is precariously perched. It should be obvious not to venture too far to the south or west of the cairn as there is a sheer drop.
P8280022.JPG
The top

From here you can see Loch Rannoch and beyond..
P8280023.JPG
Loch Rannoch

It was time for me to get out the 18yr malt for a well deserved we dram! The route back is exactly the same way up, and for the fit amoung you can run down it relatively easily as the path is good after the boulders. All in all a good 1/2 day, and the weather was kind to us. Although the forecast suggested 10% chance of cloud free munros, we must have been in that 10% bracket! And my wife enjoyed herself too!
seamus0
Munro compleatist

Munros:138   Corbetts:2

Re: Schiehallion

Postby MarkD » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:36 pm

A 40th to remember then. :D
MarkD
Ambler

Munros:15   Corbetts:4
Fionas:9   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby Lifeonloop » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:08 pm

You must have been up there early(or very late)......we walked up at lunchtime the same day and it was very busy with an almost full car park.... not my ideal time for hillwalking really although we were very hungover!!

You got a view from top as well.....I think we must have hit the summit the moment the clag came down, then it lifted again not long after we left, typical!
Lifeonloop
Munro compleatist

Munros:60   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:67
Wainwrights:113   

Postby Tom Weir's Bunnet » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:14 pm

Happy Birthday!

Thanks for the report. This is one near the top of my to do list.
Tom Weir's Bunnet
Mountain Walker

Munros:41   Corbetts:7
Fionas:2   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Postby seamus0 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:25 am

Yeah, I think we were one of the last to come off the hill if not the last, as no one was behind us. We started around lunchtime. It was very busy if you're used to isolated hills, however for first timers, I think my wife appreciated more people than less. Gives u that extra sense of security. Thats why I'd recommend it for beginners. But, yep we were luck with the weather and the views. Just need a bigger route for next time :-)!
seamus0
Munro compleatist

Munros:138   Corbetts:2

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland