walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Knoydarts Beinn na Caillich from Arnisdale by kayak

Knoydarts Beinn na Caillich from Arnisdale by kayak

Postby Mountainlove » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:33 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn na Caillich

Date walked: 19/09/2020

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 8 km

Ascent: 854m

11 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Knoydart…even the word brings a smile to my face :D and with a free weekend on the horizon, I spend glorious hours planning my return trip to one of my favorite areas. The Corbett Beinn na Caillich had been on my radar for a long time, but I wanted a new approach. The most common approach was from Inverie, the second approach I was able to find online was up the long glen Allt Coire Sgamadail from Loch Hourn (with an option to hire a boat man from Arnisdale to take you) . However I had spotted another option, which for a while I had marked on my online map. I had studied some photos and decided that it should be ok. With the route handed to Kevin who was visiting family this weekend, I set off for a solo weekend trip into the wild of Knoydart.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The sun was low in the sky when I arrived in Arnisdale. I parked the car and started to blow up my inflatable kayak and got my gear ready for the paddle across. A couple from Manchester who had just return from a kayak trip to Barrisdale approached me and we chatted about Mountain trips and how glorious the last few days had been. Its always nice to meet like minded people on trips like that.

With my gear piled in the kayak I said my goodbyes and paddled across the nearly flat waters of Loch Hourn. The sun was setting and an orange sky illuminated the sea and surrounding mountains in glorious evening light. It was so calm and peaceful that I had to stop a few times and just drink in the atmosphere. It was simple breathtaking! A splash and breathing sound interrupted the tranquillity and turning around I spotted a couple of seals who were eying me up. I did not know then, but the seals would stay my closest neighbors during the entire weekend.

P1510093.JPG
Sunset looking towards the Cuillins

P1510105.JPG
Towards Barrisdale

The area I wanted to camp was between Li and Ceum an Doill. A 2.5 km paddle later I was paddling along the empty shore and decided on an area close to Allt na Leth bheinne. Stepping on land and walking around it became clear why probably no one had ever lived here before. The ground was incredible boggy and it was literally impossible to find a square meter of flat ground which wasn’t covered in bracken, heather,blackberry bushes and lumps. Ok I did not expect that and returning to the kayak with darkness approaching fast, I had to think fast. I had spotted a faint path, only 2 meters of the high water mark which followed part of the shore, it wasn’t perfect, but better than any other area, so for that night it would have to do. I set up my tent (rather loopy sided) and settled for the night. While eating dinner and having a can of beer I listened to the noises outside.

P1510119.JPG
Camp spot for the weekend

Its incredible what noises the night produced. Some I recognized, some like a dry cough like bark I didn’t. I was laying awake for ages and woke frequently through out the night. Not the best sleep I had, but with the morning sun beating on my tent I opened the door and with the high tide only 2 meters away from the tent enjoyed the sound of the small waves against the rocks while having breakfast. I was delighted when I spotted 2 seals swimming really close to shore, I gave them a wee wave and watched them swimming in the bay between me and the island. They were a curious bunch…every time I moved or walked around, they seemed watch me. In return I learned a lot about their behavior during the weekend. At high tide they were out playing with each other, or fishing. At low tide they lay of some rocks, only visible when the water was low, and seemed to chill in the sun. During nighttime they seemed to be hunting, based on the frequent splashes I could hear well into darkness.

P1510452.JPG
My curious neigbours

P1510447.JPG

With my gear packed and the kayak and tent secured for the day I set off to climb Beinn na Caillich. From my tent I walked up towards a fence line, crossed the fence and stayed in the middle of the two burns Allt na Leth bheinne and Allt Coirein na Leacainn. The ground was steep and covered in thick bracken, heather and long grass and was incredible boggy- horrible stuff. I stepped into numerous watery bog holes hidden well out of site, slid down muddy ground and had to be careful not to end up flat on my face. To make maters worse, the warm wind still warm day made me sweat buckets and I was attacked by hundreds of deer flies. They stuck to my face, hair, even eyelashes, I was nearly going insane. :roll: :wtf: Luckily the drama only lasted until I reached the 220m mark.
From here onward the ground slightly improved and the deer flies disappeared. Looking around I spotted a deer track. I had originally planned to take a slightly different route, but when I have learned one thing during the years, is to stick to deer tracks if no other path exist.
The deer track clung close to the right hand site of Allt Coirein na Leacainn. The hillsite dropped steeply, but the route was great and led straight down to the burn at around the 350m mark, which was a good opportunity to refill my water bottle and have a rest at the massive square boulder which was laying across the burn.

P1510122.JPG
On the way up looking back

P1510128.JPG
The deer track higher up...hard to spot, but once you are on it , easy to follow

P1510153.JPG
At the square rock (bottom right)

I continued sticking close to the right hand site of the burn, when the deer track frizzed out until I reached the magnificent Bealach nan Creagan Dubha. Its an amazing area, covered with huge boulders, lochans and grassy ground. The burn I had followed, suddenly split to the left, with much smaller streams continuing straight and to the right. I continued straight until I reached Loch Bealach Creagan Dubha . Sticking to the left hand site of the loch, the views all around me were amazing. It was also the first time I was able to see Beinn na Caillich, which raised steeply in front of me. I continued a straight towards the hill approach , when I came to the edge of a cliff face. I wee exciting scramble later and it was a short walk downhill before the actual climb could begin (if you want to avoid the scramble walk toward Lochan a Mhill Ghruamaich once you reached the bealach and stick to the right hand site of it)

P1510163.JPG
Beinn na Caillich in the distance

P1510166.JPG
The lovely Plateau

P1510168.JPG
From the scramble towards Beinn na Caillich

I climbed straight up Beinn na Caillich, as I did not realize there is a faint path up Carn Dubh but even the straight up approach wasn’t bad. Once I reached the top wonderful views out towards Skye, Koydart and the mountains out towards the north, east and south had to be savored. Its an incredible view point and I stayed a good hour at the top. It was incredible as I have not seen a single soul, not even walking in the distance all day.

P1510173.JPG
On the way up looking back

P1510177.JPG
Mountain vistas

P1510185.JPG
Views from the summit

P1510208.JPG
Myself with the Cuillins behind me

P1510262.JPG
Close up towards the Red and Black Cuillins

P1510261.JPG
Ladhar Beinn

P1510267.JPG
Panorama

P1510188.JPG
The isles of Eigg, Rum and Canna in the distance

During the return walk I found the path down Carn Dubh and otherwise just returned the way I came. Minus the first 200m in height the route was great and the high bealach was a place I would love to return to even for an overnight camping trip.

P1510273.JPG
On the way back down again

P1510293.JPG
Happy in the wilderness

P1510363.JPG
The lovely lochans on the bealach

P1510366.JPG
Caillichs afternoon Reflection in one of the lochans

P1510371.JPG
Now where is the deer track again?

P1510379.JPG
Its a long way down to sea level

P1510387.JPG
'Home' in sight

P1510425.JPG
Lovely views across the water during the evening

The wilderness of Knoydart had showed its magic again and apart from the family of seals with had presented my evening entertainment, a group of roaring stags in the distance, a sea eagle flying high above me and a few sheep I had not seen any other human until I returned to Arnisdale.
I was sad when I had to pack to head home, but at least I know I will return for another adventure in the great wilderness.

P1510465.JPG
On my back home across the water

P1510470.JPG
Stopping off at the wee island on the way back

P1510473.JPG
Last view back

P1510484.JPG
Beinn na Caillich from the road back
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Re: Knoydarts Beinn na Caillich from Arnisdale by kayak

Postby jmarkb » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:44 pm

Great pictures - what a lovely trip!
Glad to see you have upgraded from the lilo.....
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby rockhopper » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:13 pm

Interesting and different approach as ever - good idea :)
Missed you by a day - I was camped at the top of Màm Li just down from Carn Dubh on Thursday night and on the summit the next morning. The deer keds up to the summit were bad as there was no wind - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby dogplodder » Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:46 am

Love the curious seals keeping an eye on you. What ideal conditions for a fabulous trip! :D :clap:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby Sunset tripper » Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:10 pm

Another great report moutainlove. I love the seal pics. What a cracking couple of days.
All the best :D
Sunset tripper

Postby dibs » Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:21 pm

Great trip and having that extra ability to cross waterfronts on your upgraded lilo, fantastic. :clap:
dibs
Munro compleatist

Munros:187   Corbetts:32
Fionas:29   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:100   Hewitts:2
Islands:15

Postby Mountainlove » Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:32 am

jmarkb wrote:Great pictures - what a lovely trip!
Glad to see you have upgraded from the lilo.....

It was about time, although I still have that lilo :lol:

rockhopper wrote:Interesting and different approach as ever - good idea :)
Missed you by a day - I was camped at the top of Màm Li just down from Carn Dubh on Thursday night and on the summit the next morning. The deer keds up to the summit were bad as there was no wind - cheers :)

Great camp spot you had and I am glad to hear that I missed the deer flies on the summit :D Down below was bad enough

dibs wrote:Great trip and having that extra ability to cross waterfronts on your upgraded lilo, fantastic. :clap:

Having a inflatable kayak makes a big difference in taking different approaches, well worth it and the fact that it backs down small comes in handy when you have a small car .

Sunset tripper wrote:Another great report moutainlove. I love the seal pics. What a cracking couple of days.
All the best :D

Many thanks :-)

dogplodder wrote:Love the curious seals keeping an eye on you. What ideal conditions for a fabulous trip! :D :clap:

Thank you :D
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

11 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland