walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

GPS - Garmin etrex 32X

GPS - Garmin etrex 32X

Postby heelandcoo » Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:14 pm

Hi there looking for help not fully used to working device yet been up a few munros and just selected from POI the Munro and is very reliable getting their , takes direction and spot on to Munro altitude

However

It is not taken me on the paths and routes that are that of the book or on here , is there a way to upload GPX files or geocaching to these devices so takes on the path ? For example done Stuch an Lochain and was fairly easy as path all way to Munro so just used it to make sure I was at actual Munro ... however doing Meall Buidhe using it took me up wrong path into marsh land and could see clealry wasn’t a path

Thanks
Andrew
heelandcoo
Mountain Walker

Re: GPS - Garmin etrex 32X

Postby Marty_JG » Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:51 pm

If you have a PC you can download Garmin's own Basecamp software. You load routes into Basecamp, then from Basecamp to your device.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby Kendrum » Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:16 pm

I use a Garmin Edge so not sure if it's a similar process(check online for your devices process) I've used various methods over the years but I currently download the gpx from Walk Highlands on laptop and then insert Garmin's memory card in to laptop and copy and paste gpx file to Garmin/newfiles folder.

My favourite way stopped working a couple of weeks ago when I updated my phone Android software 🙄. All I did before was download gpx from Walk Highlands on phone and then it magically opened in Garmin Connect app and I could click "Send to device..." Brilliant! I could change my mind about route at the last moment and still grab the gpx easily.
Kendrum

Munros:41   Corbetts:7
Fionas:5   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:7   

Postby WalkWithWallace » Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:01 pm

I used to use EasyGPS it's free and easy to use, download the route off here, then upload it on to your Garmin via the FreeGPS software. Or use Garmin's own software that Marty mentioned.

Worth pointing out Meall Buidhe was a boggy mess with not much that resembled a path when I done it ten years ago, so it must be even worse these days, plus allow for a margin of error for around 5-10 metres on your GPS device.
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:195
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby heelandcoo » Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:02 pm

Thanks all this is been rather helpful
Will give this a try tonight , yes I noticed problems as I thought be easy and straightforward from phone (IOS) to download and use USB cable to the GPS . But yes found this don’t work I will try both basecamp and using laptop , appreciate response thanks
heelandcoo
Mountain Walker

Postby Marty_JG » Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:18 pm

It is outrageous Garmin have not offered a simple Basecamp-like piece of software as an app, basically something like EasyGPS but as an app that, as you say, you could connect your Garmin and phone to via USB. There is a Garmin app but it's only for their Bluetooth GPS devices.

There does appear to be an Apple app that does this. https://www.loadmytracks.com/

Perhaps we should encourage EasyGPS to make an Android app!!
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk