walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Harter Fell - Lake District's best kept secret

Harter Fell - Lake District's best kept secret

Postby Jaxter » Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:58 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Harter Fell (Southern Fells)

Hewitts included on this walk: Harter Fell (Southern Fells)

Date walked: 18/09/2020

Time taken: 2.55

Distance: 6.25 km

Ascent: 424m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous day - mad cycle & Marilyn

We had thought to have a crack at getting up the Langdale Pikes today, but I was just too tired from the last few days. We both had the day off though, and decided on Harter Fell, which is an easy walk from the top of the Hardknott Pass. The drive however....I hadn't been across the Wrynose & Hardknott passes since I was a kid and the complete mentalness of them took me by surprise :lol:

We managed to get parked at the top of the Hardknott (we had wondered if we'd have an issue)

Ahead to Harter Fell

Malky may be giving birth to his rucksack here... :shock:

Unfortunately we had to drop down a bit before really getting into the climb, but as we gained a bit of height we started to see the big hills poking through - this promised to be a good hill!

The Scafells poking out

Sheep leading the way - this must be about the only hill in the Lake District that doesn't have a big path up it! It was quite refreshing actually, although I was definitely pondering whether trail shoes were a good idea...

Greyfriar

Isle of Mann poking out from behind some impressive crags

We finally had mobile signal - I had a call to make which only took a couple of minutes but unfortunately a friend of Malky's phoned him so we had a longer break than anticipated :lol: It did give me a chance to get a look at the Hardknott Hill Fort which is impressive from above!

The views to the Scafells were pretty good too!

Pillar poking out

The final climb was rocky (especially as we'd lost the path :lol: ) but the views from the summit were awesome 8)

Isle of Mann

Summit of Harter Fell! (except it wasn't - we had to climb a big rock for that)

Coniston Old Man

We struggled to climb up the big summit rock before discovering that there was a really easy way up the other side :lol:

We sat around and enjoyed the views for a while - there was one other person at the summit, the only other person we'd seen on the hill. Harter Fell - Cumbia's best kept secret?

After a while it was time to go - we managed to follow the path down from the summit this time which made things easier!

Then Malky had one of his Really Good Ideas which involved tussocks, bog and wet feet. This coincided with my energy disappearing and the final walk back to the car was a bit of a struggle :roll:

Yet another lovely day in the Lakes 8)

Looking back

Back at the car I was able to relax whereas Malky had to drive us all the way back across the passes...stunning but pretty hardcore :lol:

Looking down the Wrynose Pass

The brakes didn't feel great by the time we got to the bottom, but we were back and happy to relax into a shower, a cup of tea and some dinner 8)

Next day - a great Place to camp
Attachments

activity_5556134492.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by Jaxter on Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Re: Harter Fell - Lake District's best kept secret

Postby Gordie12 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:10 pm

Or he could be riding an imaginary horse....................
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby Jaxter » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:37 pm

Gordie12 wrote:Or he could be riding an imaginary horse....................

Good point....but does one normally have such a look of pain on their face when riding a horse? (never tried so have only got Lord of the Rings as reference...)
Jaxter
Wanderer

Postby Gordie12 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:40 pm

That was the bit that was confusing me as well so maybe he's riding his imaginary horse whilst giving birth to his rucksack.....................
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby Jaxter » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:43 pm

Gordie12 wrote:That was the bit that was confusing me as well so maybe he's riding his imaginary horse whilst giving birth to his rucksack.....................

I would agree with you except I know how poor he is at multi-tasking :lol: :lol:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Postby Gordie12 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:49 pm

i had one other thought but that's definitely for after the watershed so I'll leave it there. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby Jaxter » Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:10 pm

Gordie12 wrote:i had one other thought but that's definitely for after the watershed so I'll leave it there. :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Postby past my sell by date » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:38 pm

The best way to Harter Fell is to start from Black Combe and follow Roger Putnam's route (Wild Walks p 118). The 20 mile walk crosses the Corney Fell and Ulpha roads but is otherwise almost trackless. I've done it in reverse, but walking North means that you have views towards the Lake District the whole time - so maybe nicer :)
two cars or helpful friends are needed :lol:
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

Postby Sgurr » Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:54 pm

We did similar, and were astounded to nearly reach the top of the pass to find a whole fleet of VW campervans doing publicity shots there. At one point (thankfully when we were already parked), they formed a line of gaily coloured wagons struggling up to the top. Nice to see what we should have seen, thanks for the photos...ours was solid clag most of the day.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland