walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A nice Place to spend the night!

A nice Place to spend the night!

Postby Jaxter » Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:51 am

Wainwrights included on this walk: Place Fell

Hewitts included on this walk: Place Fell

Date walked: 19/09/2020

Time taken: 3.15

Distance: 8.37 km

Ascent: 577m

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous day - small but perfectly formed

After saying goodbye to both sets of parents in Langdale, we headed up the road towards Patterdale – it was really busy but a kind man arriving back to the car park on his bike said to give him 5 minutes and we could have his space. He also gave us his parking ticket which would last the rest of the day – faith in humanity was restored 8)

We decided we might as well use the bikes rather than leave them in the car park; just under a kilometre took us to the bottom of the Place Fell path. We locked the bikes up and headed up the path. It was roasting hot already 8)

Looking down the glen to the Kirkstone Pass

The path climbed gradually – it was slow going in the heat but the views across Ullswater were tremendous

We reached the col where Malky cheerfully told me we’d done half the ascent. Given how knackered I was feeling I was rather hoping we’d done significantly more than half :lol:

We could see the path ahead snaking up the mountain

Now on the ridge we were exposed to the wind – it was breezier than we’d expected and it was cold! But the views back down were still impressive

The path became steeper and rockier until at last we climbed out onto the summit ridge – the trig point ahead

Now most of the ascent was over it was a relatively easy stroll over to the summit, where the views were truly fabulous 8)

Looking down the ridge towards the tip of Ullswater

Looking back to High Street, Stoney Cove Pike & Red Screes

Summit of Place Fell

Ullswater and Helvellyn

It was relatively early and there were plenty of people around so we sat and enjoyed the views for a while. Around 6 we figured it was getting quieter so got the tent up 8)

We managed to find a fairly sheltered spot for the tent, and also to get a cup of hot chocolate on. The sun was dropping – although it was beautiful at the moment it was going to get cold once it had set!

The Mell Fells and Gowbarrow

Lovely evening light on High Street

We already had all our layers on :lol:

Sun getting ready to drop down behind Helvellyn

Looking down towards Ullswater

Blencathra and Skiddaw peeking out

High Street

Stoney Cove Pike & Red Screes

The sun disappears

With the sun gone, there was a small amount of bouncy light on the hills. But now it was cold and we had run out on sun!

The light was gone so we went into the tent to warm up a bit. After a while I poked my head out to see if I could use the trig point as a tripod…not total success but better than expected in the wind!

We could see various lights on the hills – either walkers coming down late or people camping

Penrith

The big dipper

The Milky Way (a bit rubbish but wind and no tripod don’t exactly help :lol: )

I poked my head out the next morning and there was no sunrise happening. The cloud had rolled in in the east and it was sitting on the hills.

We went back to sleep for a while before people started arriving and we figured we had better get the tent down. The cloud had cleared off the main tops and it was getting warmer!

There was still an impressive blanket of cloud on the High Street ridge

We enjoyed some breakfast and packed things up before enjoying the views again

We decided to head down the wee path that dropped off the front of Place Fell as it would give us some views of Ullswater. Malky led the way

The path was largely in the shade initially, and a bit slippery. We took care and managed to stay on our feet as well as keeping them dry!

The views of Ullswater were worth it 8)

The boats were busy on Ullswater

As we dropped lower, Sheffield Pike stood out more

The path became steeper and rockier before eventually dropping onto the main path which was a bit easier to walk on

Unfortunately the path wasn’t quite as flat as it looked on the map :lol:

We stopped to top up our water bottles in a beautifully cold burn. Then it was a short walk along the “flat” path

Back at the bikes it was a couple of minutes cycle around to the car, where we loaded everything up and stopped at the post office for a cup of tea and bacon sandwich. Yum 8)

Next day - Doddering about

activity_5564415932.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by Jaxter on Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Re: A nice Place to spend the night!

Postby cparky3 » Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:56 am

Beautiful photos! It does indeed look like a great Place to camp!
cparky3
Mountain Walker

Munros:18   
Fionas:1   

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland