walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glenfinnan Double

Glenfinnan Double

Postby kleighton » Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:18 pm

Route description: Sgùrr Thuilm and Sgùrr nan Coireachan

Munros included on this walk: Sgùrr nan Coireachan (Glenfinnan), Sgùrr Thuilm

Date walked: 14/08/2020

Distance: 23.5 km

Ascent: 1428m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

20200814_141336.jpg
View to Sgurr Thuilm from Sgurr nan Coireachan
Early start from Glenfinnan carpark on a clear sunny day with little wind. I crossed the road bridge then headed right up the glen towards the railway bridge along a good tarmac road.
20200814_180716.jpg
Glenfinnan railway bridge
Easy walking made for fast progress and I soon passed the sign for Sgurr Nan Coireachan and the way down for me today. I walked onwards past the hydro works and found the sign for Sgurr Thuilm path. This was fairly easy to follow and only marginally boggy. I drank plenty of water while walking up past he stream and filled my bottle as much as I could as I knew that higher up there would be little if any chance of finding water and this was going to a hot day!
The ascent to the first munro was straightforward and I was soon at the summit
20200814_095558.jpg
Sgurr Thuilm summit cairn
where there are 2 cairns. It was still early and the mist was down so no views. I returned to the fence posts and turned right to walk the ridge. It is delightful ridge walk up and down over several peaks, wild and remote with a good path throughout.
20200814_112438.jpg
Misty view from Beinn Gharb
20200814_130932.jpg
Mist lifting at second summit
20200814_130508.jpg
Sgurr nan Coireachan trig

I reached my second munro summit as the clouds lifted revealing wonderful views.
The descent was intermittently very steep. The path was generally clear and I soon joined the stalkers' path on the lower slopes to the track. I was so thankful to return to the fast flowing little burn on the main track where I replenished my water and rehydrated.
The return along the road seemed longer on the way back. An estate worker drove past and helpfully said that he was sorry he could not give any lifts due to Covid. His friendly chat was very welcome however and boosted my energy at the end of this memorable day.
Attachments
20200814_141343.jpg
The way back down Glen Finnan
kleighton
Munro compleatist

Munros:224   Corbetts:27
Fionas:52   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:37   Hewitts:2

Re: Glenfinnan Double

Postby Graeme D » Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:23 pm

Ah this takes me back! Them were the days! 8)
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland