walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

The Universal Hiking Club Glasgow

The Universal Hiking Club Glasgow

Postby calicoshmalico » Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:59 am

This is a long shot but does anyone have any information or old stories regarding the Universal Hiking Club (Glasgow).
I remember my late father tell me about meeting under the big Clock on the corner of Argyle street, Hiking, visiting Youth Hostel's and only once did he talk about the 1959 New Year Tragedy and he never spoke of it until late into his 60's.
My father would have been 21 years of age in 1959 and I'm unsure when he joined the club. I think he also met my mother through the hiking club although I'm unsure if my mother only went with a friend and was not a member of the club.
I remember when I was younger he used to have a box full of negatives of club members and days on the hills/mountains and told me that they would view them on a projector at meetings etc. Sadly I don't have those (what a Gem that would have been).
My father's name was Tommy Henderson and he was from Duntocher, he married Ina Laird who was from Bridgeton in 1965.
I'm just interested to know if anyone has any memories, info on the club and it's members or photos.

Thanks
David Henderson
calicoshmalico
Mountain Walker

Munros:128   Corbetts:18
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:4   Islands:6

Re: The Universal Hiking Club Glasgow

Postby Dave S » Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:40 pm

Hi David not much help but just wondering if you have read The Black Cloud by Ian Thompson? It includes an account of the 1959 tragedy. It also has some basic information on the club.
Dave S

Postby calicoshmalico » Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:38 am

No I haven't read that book, only excerpts on the Internet about the Incident from various sources.
Looks like an interesting read, and not cheap either. :shock: I'll need to try and find one in a Second Hand Shop.
calicoshmalico
Mountain Walker

Munros:128   Corbetts:18
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:4   Islands:6

Postby BigTed » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:26 pm

I thought the victims of the Corrour tragedy in 1959 were members of the Glen Coe MC.

As per this account by Heavy Whalley.

https://heavywhalley.wordpress.com/2016/03/08/the-corrour-tragedy-on-29-31-december-1951/

My dad - John Cullen - was a founder member of the Glen Coe MC though he left in 1951 when he joined the Creag Dhu. He mentioned knowing some of the victims but it wasn't something he spoke about much. He did point out how inadequate gear was in those days compared to today which was probably a big factor. Fit hillwalkers today would have a good chance of surviving these conditions with a bivvy bag, down clothing, closed cell or better mats for ground insulation etc.
BigTed
Mountain Walker

Postby BigTed » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:42 pm

Ignore last reply. I was confusing the 1951 Corrour tragedy and the 1959 tragedy involving the members of the Universal Hiking Club in the Glen Doll area..

Shocking that there were two such incidentsin the same decade.
BigTed
Mountain Walker

Postby Dave S » Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:04 pm

Hi Ted ,two similar events both involving clubs from Glasgow.
I read a great interview with your dad on Uk climbing. It's good that these names and stories are not being forgotten. I spoke to Patsy Walsh a few years ago when I was trying to get information on a relative who climbed with the club in the 50s before emigrating to Canada. They had met a cave on Ben An and Walsh introduced him to climbing .
Last edited by Dave S on Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave S

Postby Dave S » Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:10 pm

calicoshmalico wrote:No I haven't read that book, only excerpts on the Internet about the Incident from various sources.
Looks like an interesting read, and not cheap either. :shock: I'll need to try and find one in a Second Hand Shop.

It's been a while since I read it ,got in the library. Worth looking out for.
Dave S

Postby Giant Stoneater » Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:18 am

Most libraries you can put a request in for a book,if you join online you might be lucky.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion