walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben More and Stob Binnein

Ben More and Stob Binnein

Postby rebeccamcquillan1 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:51 pm

Route description: Ben More and Stob Binnein

Munros included on this walk: Ben More, Stob Binnein

Date walked: 31/08/2020

Time taken: 6.25 hours

Distance: 16 km

Ascent: 1300m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Almost perfect conditions for bagging my 3rd and 4th Munros (newbie!).
Route description from Walk Highlands followed and was very accurate!
Ben More was my FAVOURITE Munro yet! Really enjoyable climb and spectacular views all the way up. Path disappears for a short while at the start but then really easy to follow up from there. Good terrain!
Chilly up top at 1174m!! Path between the Munros was ideal!
Took just under 2 hours to the summit of Ben More, then 90mins from there to summit of Stob Binnein which was absolutely stunning!
The descent was easily the worst part of this walk - mostly due to the fact it was a solid 60% bog, and my walking boots decided to start letting in water around the top of Ben More - ideal... :crazy:
All in we took 6hrs 15 up and down with some breaks which I am very happy with!
Only discovered after the fact we had chosen #16 and #18th highest Munros!
Looking forward to tackling Ben Vorlich and Stuc a'Chroin tomorrow!!
Attachments
519B17D3-702B-4726-A0CB-AAABDBE0807D.jpeg
Mid boggy descent!
099ACA4E-9248-47D7-BCD7-5E95F1A094A5.jpeg
Stob Binnein ahead
AE6511FA-DAA5-4A17-A8BD-2DEE8178910A.jpeg
Ben more
D36F9C8A-F4CF-43E7-BF57-7E83C9EA9497.jpeg
En route up Ben More
rebeccamcquillan1
Mountain Walker

Munros:31   
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   

Re: Ben More and Stob Binnein

Postby Boris_the_Bold » Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:08 pm

The descent from Ben More is in my 'Top 2 Least Enjoyable Days Out on a Scottish Hill', so if you enjoyed that, think how much you're going to love Glencoe, the Mamores, Torridon, Skye, Ben Avon, Seanna Braigh etc etc

Great report btw!

BtB
Boris_the_Bold
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:38
Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:8   Islands:32

Postby rebeccamcquillan1 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:12 pm

Boris_the_Bold wrote:The descent from Ben More is in my 'Top 2 Least Enjoyable Days Out on a Scottish Hill', so if you enjoyed that, think how much you're going to love Glencoe, the Mamores, Torridon, Skye, Ben Avon, Seanna Braigh etc etc

Great report btw!

BtB

Thank you!!

Well that's encouraging - I'm sure it would have been much better had my boots held out - a new pair are required now for sure!
Super excited to continue the bagging adventure - I've definitely caught the bug!
rebeccamcquillan1
Mountain Walker

Munros:31   
Sub 2000:2   

Postby skullhead » Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:49 pm

Loved your report.

Did these two early this morning with bad weather closing in. Original plan was to re-ascend Ben More to take the path down but was put off by the steepness on ascent.

On reflection I’m glad I took the bog path route you described on descent from a time saving point of view. My guess was that I was down at the burn by the time I’d have been summiting Ben More for the 2nd time so wet feet but a big time saving!
skullhead
Hill Bagger

Munros:190   Corbetts:13
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:1   

Postby Marty_JG » Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:35 pm

Boris_the_Bold wrote:The descent from Ben More is in my 'Top 2 Least Enjoyable Days Out on a Scottish Hill'

Aye, the Stob-More-Stob (or Stob-More-valley) route should DEFINITELY be the Walk Highlands main route/gpx.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby past my sell by date » Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:01 pm

Wow
2 hours up Ben More is pretty amazing, but as you do more hills look at the map and make your own decisions. The SMC and/or WH routes are not always the most enjoyable. See my report on the Ben More's NE ridge and the comments thereon
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland