walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Autumnal Wanderings with Grand Views

Autumnal Wanderings with Grand Views

Postby Jaxter » Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:01 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Meall Glac Tigh-fail

Date walked: 02/10/2020

Time taken: 3.45 hours

Distance: 7.26 km

Ascent: 535m

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Another week, another relapse… :roll: I’d spent most of the previous week doing nothing, but with a nice day on Friday, followed by a rubbish weekend, I decided I needed to try something. Malky was suggesting Ben More Coigach, but that would have been pushing at what I could manage on a good day, let alone today. So we headed for Ullapool with a couple of ideas.

We parked up at the end of the road at Auchlunachan – it was warm but windy.

We wandered back down the road a short distance until we reached the footpath which was diverted around the houses. Unfortunately this dropped us down a little further, giving us even more ascent :roll:

From here, the path took us across a field and through another gate. A quick hop across a burn and we were on the track.

It was steep to begin with. I wasn’t feeling good at all, and our pace was slow.

But it felt so good to be out 8)

The views were already great – Beinn Enaiglair and Meall Doire Faid, hills normally hidden from view, were prominent 8)

It was surprisingly windy – the wind was being funnelled down the glen.

We climbed steadily upwards, the track making for easy walking. Soon the Coffin Road path peeled off to the right and we took the less obvious left fork, across a fence and up the glen.

As we gained more height, Beinn Dearg became more prominent, as did a track on the other side of the glen which we had thought might work as a descent route

Our path became less obvious but got us through the bracken easily

We came to a ravine – we could see bits of path dropping down and then out of it, but decided against the extra ascent as there were also bits of paths headed straight uphill – possible steeper but less ascent in total

The impressive point of Sgurr Mor in the Fannaichs poked out

At the top of the ravine there was a waterfall

And above the waterfall a big slab of mini-waterfalls!

We managed to cross here – Malky waits (im)patiently while I try to take more photos of waterfalls :lol:

Safely across the burn, and with more than half of the ascent behind us, we had a very welcome lunch stop. I was struggling and needed a break before tackling the rest of the hill. And Malky was hungry :lol:

Carrying on, we found a few animal tracks which made the ascent up the steeper section a bit easier

As we climbed towards the summit we could see down to Badcaul, and the arm of An Teallach that rises above Dundonnell

Ben More Assynt & Conival peeking out

Stac Pollaidh peeking out behind Ben More Coiagach ridge, with Cul Beag & Cul Mor to the right

Cul Beag & Cul Mor

The final section took us across some flattish ground as we traversed around the side of an extra lump, before having to climb towards the final summit. I was pretty knackered by now so Malky dug out some goodies that managed to fuel me to the top.

As we popped out onto the summit and saw the incredible views towards An Teallach and the Fisherfield, I decided it was definitely worth it 8)

A wee bit of sun hitting the Coigach ridge

Ben More Assynt

The Fisherfield hills

The Fannaichs

Beinn Dearg ridge

The impressive Beinn Dearg Mor, sadly in the shadow but none the less awesome 8)

We grabbed a seat out of the wind – I needed a breather and there was a bit of tea left 8) And some ok-ish views :wink:

Although it was a bit disappointingly shady on the hills, the views were still incredible. Might make a decent summit camp….

Beinn Ghoblach

Jaxtering on the summit of Meall Glac Tigh-fail

A last glimpse of An Teallach – we thought of waiting a while to see if the sun came out more, but it was cold and was going to take me a while to get down anyway…

As we dropped south east towards the top of the glen, we could see the Fannaichs with a bit more light on them

And also the Beinn Dearg hills

We scared a herd of deer off… :roll:

Beinn Dearg, Beinn Enaiglair & Meall Doire Faid

Sunny fannies :lol:

Malky looking happy :shock:

Almost as if we planned it, we dropped onto the track just before it crossed the burn

This made for nice easy walking for the whole descent – so we were able to enjoy the waterfalls

Trees lining the gorge that we had followed on the way up for a while

We could see Colonel Mustard waiting for us 8) Sadly although the distance was short, we didn’t seem to be getting any closer :lol:

The final section took us through several gates and along a section of grassy track where someone had been hacking down a lot of spiky stuff! As we passed by the houses out onto the road we saw a sign asking walkers to divert round the other side – oh well, they ought to have signposted it from above!

We were very glad to get back to the car, and I was even more glad that Malky could drive home (because I couldn’t :lol: ) It was a spectacular sunset as we drove home – almost wanted to stop and enjoy it but we were supposed to heading to a pal’s garden for cake and firepit. It was worth missing out on the sunset for malteasar cheesecake!

Attachments

activity_5622598255.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Re: Autumnal Wanderings with Grand Views

Postby litljortindan » Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:55 pm

Interesting to see and excellent views, particularly across to An Teallach and co.
I was actually contemplating a similar walk on 29th August but chickened out because of the light drizzle and went to Silverbridge instead. Also, I hadn't realised that the coffin road headed that way and had been put off a bit by thinking I'd have to go cross country to get onto the track(s). Now I know, I will return but I'm actually more interested in viewing the Cada nam Fiadh gully/edge further north that looked so impressive when I drove past below though those waterfalls on your route do look worth a visit too. I'll probably end up doing some sort of figure of eight/red arrows display type route.
Don't know if this will be helpful to you but I follow a Norwegian blog and the author has had months of covid problems too but seems to have turned a corner recently. Nice photos anyway: https://fjordpeaks.com/
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:156   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby jmarkb » Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:56 pm

That looked like a good wee walk with some great views!
Thanks for posting - will mentally file that one away for a short day in the Ullapool area.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Hillbeback » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:03 am

Hi.
You may recall that you and Malky met me on Ben Vorlich (Loch Lomond) In November 2018. I was heading up and you were heading back after an overnight camp.

When reading your posts l see that you are suffering from relapses of Covid 19. This is something l used to suffer from when l was diagnosed with ME. Your determination and general fitness will eventually get you through this. Also being younger will help. I was 46years when the ME started and it was a good 7-8 years later when l finally made a 80-90% recovery. I know how frustrated the relapses will make you feel as l felt the same. You are doing the right thing by not pushing yourself too much. When l had to rest l used to think that was a negative but soon learned it was a positive on my road to recovery and l had to do what my body was telling me.

Hope you'll soon be back to your full fitness but in the meantime take it easy and enjoy the walks that you do.

The views you have had from these walks are beautiful. Just to be walking in such stunning scenery is to be savoured.

Look after yourself

Moira
Hillbeback

Munros:67   Corbetts:6
Fionas:4   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:4   

Postby rockhopper » Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:31 pm

Excellent alternative to BMC
You two have a great knack of finding hills with great views regardless of height
Must let my other half see the recipe for Maltesers cheesecake :roll: - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:32 pm

Another inspirational route for a wander - many thanks it looks a stunning viewpoint :D :D
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby gld73 » Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:24 pm

Great that you're managing to still get out despite the frustrations of Long Covid, hope it resolves soon and you get back to full fitness.

Nice idea for a walk this, thanks, wasn't one I'd thought about until I saw your report.
gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

Postby PeteR » Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:45 pm

That does look a very interesting little hill. The views around that area really are superb...….thanks for the route map, will save me a job for when I get round to doing the hill :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby Jaxter » Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:39 pm

litljortindan wrote:Interesting to see and excellent views, particularly across to An Teallach and co.
I was actually contemplating a similar walk on 29th August but chickened out because of the light drizzle and went to Silverbridge instead. Also, I hadn't realised that the coffin road headed that way and had been put off a bit by thinking I'd have to go cross country to get onto the track(s). Now I know, I will return but I'm actually more interested in viewing the Cada nam Fiadh gully/edge further north that looked so impressive when I drove past below though those waterfalls on your route do look worth a visit too. I'll probably end up doing some sort of figure of eight/red arrows display type route.
Don't know if this will be helpful to you but I follow a Norwegian blog and the author has had months of covid problems too but seems to have turned a corner recently. Nice photos anyway: https://fjordpeaks.com/

Cheers - definitely worth a decent day as the views are tremendous 8)
Thanks for the link - I've had a quick look and it looks really interesting. Will be good to read when I can't get outside!

jmarkb wrote:That looked like a good wee walk with some great views!
Thanks for posting - will mentally file that one away for a short day in the Ullapool area.

Definitely worth the effort - enjoy it 8)

Hillbeback wrote:Hi.
You may recall that you and Malky met me on Ben Vorlich (Loch Lomond) In November 2018. I was heading up and you were heading back after an overnight camp.

When reading your posts l see that you are suffering from relapses of Covid 19. This is something l used to suffer from when l was diagnosed with ME. Your determination and general fitness will eventually get you through this. Also being younger will help. I was 46years when the ME started and it was a good 7-8 years later when l finally made a 80-90% recovery. I know how frustrated the relapses will make you feel as l felt the same. You are doing the right thing by not pushing yourself too much. When l had to rest l used to think that was a negative but soon learned it was a positive on my road to recovery and l had to do what my body was telling me.

Hope you'll soon be back to your full fitness but in the meantime take it easy and enjoy the walks that you do.

The views you have had from these walks are beautiful. Just to be walking in such stunning scenery is to be savoured.

Look after yourself

Moira

Hi - thanks so much for your advice, it's good to hear that things will get better because a lot of the time it feels like nothing good is happening at all! I'm not very good at the resting bit, but am trying to get better. Glad to hear that things are improving for you - I remember you telling me about it that day and thinking how frustrating that must be, little did I know...! :D

rockhopper wrote:Excellent alternative to BMC
You two have a great knack of finding hills with great views regardless of height
Must let my other half see the recipe for Maltesers cheesecake :roll: - cheers :)

Thanks - apparently it's not all about size :wink:
The recipe we used was this one - highly recommended 8)

Huff_n_Puff wrote:Another inspirational route for a wander - many thanks it looks a stunning viewpoint :D :D

Thankyou - definitely worth a visit 8)

gld73 wrote:Great that you're managing to still get out despite the frustrations of Long Covid, hope it resolves soon and you get back to full fitness.

Nice idea for a walk this, thanks, wasn't one I'd thought about until I saw your report.

Thanks - me too!!
Aye, the hill is a bit hidden away - it doesn't actually appear on the map until you look at the 1.25000!

PeteR wrote:That does look a very interesting little hill. The views around that area really are superb...….thanks for the route map, will save me a job for when I get round to doing the hill :D

You're welcome - enjoy it 8)
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland