walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Worst Ever!

Worst Ever!

Postby Meadow54 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:52 pm

Date walked: 11/10/2020

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 21 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Having walked through Glen Cona to Glenfinnan 2 weeks ago, came back to walk from Sallachan to Strontian via Glen Gour. Beautiful, sunny autumn day, glorious scenery & we met no-one. Track up as far as the river crossing was very wet underfoot but okay. After the river it just became horrific. 7 miles of bogs and boulders with an intermittent track that was just as bad. A twisted ankle about 14 km in added to the very slow progress and the whole thing took us 7 hours!!! My boots were completely overwhelmed with mud and water half way through and I’ve probably got trench foot. Think my boots are ruined 😀 without the twisted ankle it would have been 5 1/2. Not an experience I’ll be repeating or recommending!
Meadow54

Re: Worst Ever!

Postby Marty_JG » Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:08 pm

A nice pair of Gore-Tex gaiters help. New pairs are around £30 but you can get army surplus for half that.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby Meadow54 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:26 pm

Marty_JG wrote:A nice pair of Gore-Tex gaiters help. New pairs are around £30 but you can get army surplus for half that.

I was wearing Goretex Gaiters!! The water came up over my boots and under the gaiters! Eventually, I had to take them off, roll up my trousers and give up trying to stay dry!
Meadow54

Postby Marty_JG » Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:19 am

Ouch. Yuk. Time for Plan B methinks.

safe fly.jpg
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland