walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Doddering around & a spectacular high camp

Doddering around & a spectacular high camp

Postby Jaxter » Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:07 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Clough Head, Great Dodd, Hart Side, Stybarrow Dodd, Watson's Dodd

Hewitts included on this walk: Clough Head, Great Dodd, Stybarrow Dodd

Date walked: 20/09/2020

Time taken: 7.3

Distance: 18.93 km

Ascent: 846m

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous day - a nice Place to camp

We parked up at High Row – had wondered about getting parked given the scenes at Ullswater but there was a convenient car park with a few spaces :thumbup: We actually sat around for a bit to avoid leaving too early (I managed to sit on a stinging nettle whilst having a pee :lol: ) and eventually we set off through the gate

It was an easy track to walk along, although it was a bit alarming to meet a few groups of “Jeremy Clarksons” in their pimped out 4x4s… A short distance on we crossed the bridge and headed right

Great Mell Fell comes into view as we climb gradually

And Blencathra – I’m getting the feeling that Clough Head is going to be a pretty decent viewpoint if we make it!

We plod on – it’s very hot and there’s not much wind down in the glen making it hard work. We see our objective ahead and it’s not getting any closer :lol:

After getting passed by another motorcyclist we reached a burn big enough to have a big long drink, top up the water and also have a bit of a wash :lol: When we eventually got going again, we climbed up around the corner, climbed a fence and reached a grassy path heading up the steep side of Clough Head

After the struggle to get over the stile, the path started gently up the hillside. We could see tin hut, maybe used for shooting?

The path got steeper and steeper and we slowed to a crawl. I was definitely not feeling my best!

It took us ages to get up this section – it was really steep and felt like it kept going forever. However, we reached the ridge and the gradient eased. I also demanded a break :lol: The summit itself wasn’t far away

As we followed the ridge we suddenly started to get all sorts of views…yes this was going to be a good one 8)

Skiddaw

Almost there….!

And at last we had made it! Now on the summit we had a bit of a breeze back which was a bit of a relief!

We picked a camp spot and got the tent up – the wind was to pick up and change direction during the early hours of the next day so we hoped our pitch would take that into account! I was knackered so Malky blew the mats up :lol: (He’s brilliant, but don’t tell him…)

The views of Blencathra were stunning 8)

Keswick and the hills behind

Now on the summit, the whole of the Lake District had opened out before us – what a summit :shock:

Looking over to Keswick

Great Dodd with Helvellyn peeking out behind

Scotland visible – this is the Mull of Galloway

Derwent Water with Grisedale Pike & Grassmoor rounds towering behind

I take my eyes off him for one minute :shock: :roll:

The Scafells and Great Gable

The Coniston Fells across Thirlmere

The path towards Great Dodd with Helvellyn behind – this might be our route in the morning

Wee bit of cloud hitting the Scafells

Light hitting Derwent Water

We were remarkably sheltered from the wind, but as the evening drew on we added layers and got some tea on to warm up

The sunset wasn’t the most impressive ever but still very pretty 8)

Lovely evening light

Threlkeld & Keswick

Once it got dark I thought I’d see if the trig point would work as a tripod as the moon had come out to play 8)

We played a few games of Uno before going to sleep – I was knackered and it was a bit of a trek the next day whichever way we went down….

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The next morning I poked my head out of the door and realised that sunrise was going to happen properly this time! Malky went straight back to sleep but I thought it was worth the effort….

Early morning over the Mell Fells

Despite the light show taking place in the East, the West was all coating in cloud and mist

It was back to bed for some more sleep; by the time I was ready to get up, the wind had shifted round and increased but it wasn’t too dreadful. The shift meant that Malky was able to make breakfast while I stayed in bed. What a guy :lol:

When I finally did manage to get up properly, the sun was properly up and a lot of a grey murk that had been around earlier had burned off 8)

The Scafells looking very atmospheric

Blencathra

Skiddaw – it was definitely hazier than yesterday but still pretty good!

After a leisurely breakfast we packed our things away and tried to dry the tent off from all the condensation. There were plenty of people passing through now, heading for Great Dodd. We decided to do the same.

There was an obvious path which split on the approach to Calfhow Pike – we figured we might as well have a look at the wee tor

Looking back to Clough Head

Looking back towards Keswick

From here we started plodded up the long ascent towards Great Dodd. It took us ages, some of it was steep but eventually the gradient eased and we were onto the summit able to see towards Helvellyn

Looking back

Ingleborough in the Dales sticking out the top of the cloud

Wee Watson’s Dodd and some more cloud clearing in the distance on the higher tops

We weren’t sure which part was the summit of Great Dodd in the end, so visited them all. The views were incredible and it was warming up 8)

Cloud rolling down the Kirkstone Pass

I was tired and the views were good, but it was a bit chilly to hang around too much as the wind was blowing. We had an option to drop back down to the car from here, but decided to carry on along the ridge as we had done most of the ascent now anyway!

It was an easy walk out to Watson’s Dodd, and only about 20m ascent! But I was pretty sure that this wee lump was the greatest view of the day 8)

Thirlmere

Looking back to Grisedale Pike and Grassmoor

Skiddaw

We sat around and enjoyed the views from Watson’s Dodd for ages – it was beautiful. Eventually Malky was bored so we continued – our next target was Stybarrow Dodd. A bit of a climb but not too bad.

Some interesting patterns in the grass

Another ambiguous summit, so we visited them both

Raise and Helvellyn

Looking back to Keswick & Skiddaw

Looking back to Watson’s Dodd and Great Dodd

Stybarrow Dodd summit (maybe)

It was still windy so we dropped a few metres off the summit and had a nice long break for some lunch 8) We were looking at our next target – White Crag

Catstye Cam looking very impressive

After enjoying a good break, we continued – dropping off towards the main path down from Stybarrow Dodd which unfortunately led us across a load of tussocks :roll:

Looking back – a last glimpse of the biggies

We went over White Stones and it was worth it for the views of Ullswater (and it was only about 20m of ascent extra :roll: )

Looking across to High Street

Catstye Cam

Malky leads the way towards White Crags

White Crags ahead

There were views to Blencathra from White Crags

Looking back

Great Dodd

We had another sit down and finished off the water while we tried to work out how to get down from here… We saw some people appear over the top of Birkett Fell and figured there would be a nice path to follow 8)

Lovely path leading towards the wall

Faint path leading downwards. As we dropped out of the wind it got warmer and warmer and we had to stop to lose layers!

The path got a bit squishy lower down but we managed to get through it, before joining the main path which led us to the bridge across the beck. Above the farm the impressive Dowthwaite Crag was quite striking

From here it was a gently plod uphill back to the car, which felt like it took forever…

Finally back at the car I was relieved to take my bag off (Malky probably was too, given he was carrying about 3 times what I was!) and have a good long drink. A walk that most people would easily manage in a day; at the moment breaking it into 2 days and having Malky carry everything just about made it possible for me! But I was very glad I wasn’t having to drive home – fortunately Malky did that too :lol:
Attachments

activity_5570526508.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Re: Doddering around & a spectacular high camp

Postby Sgurr » Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:30 pm

There will be more Clarksons going on the green lanes of the Lake District. Whoever runs the place is mad as they have allowed opening up of YET MORE to motorised traffic. I signed the petition against that was going the rounds, but they lost. We still have most of those to do. In fact they are top of our list of ones not done. Supposed to be this year, but events conspired against us. This looks like a really good trip.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby arjh » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:11 pm

Great route and photos. The tin shed is a railway wagon that has mysteriously teleported high onto the slopes of Clough Head...
arjh
Wanderer

Munros:116   Corbetts:27
Fionas:14   Donalds:13+8
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:316
Wainwrights:187   Islands:6

Postby satkins » Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:53 pm

Loved the photos and what magnificent views, would like to know the general area of your wild camp please.

:clap: :clap:
satkins
Scrambler

Munros:15   
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:84
Wainwrights:69   

Postby Jaxter » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:48 am

Sgurr wrote:There will be more Clarksons going on the green lanes of the Lake District. Whoever runs the place is mad as they have allowed opening up of YET MORE to motorised traffic. I signed the petition against that was going the rounds, but they lost. We still have most of those to do. In fact they are top of our list of ones not done. Supposed to be this year, but events conspired against us. This looks like a really good trip.

Yes - I was really surprised, I didn't actually realise that these all vehicle access tracks existed until now! Seems a bit of an odd one. Definitely good hills, and luckily coincided with a good week for me (although I paid for it for the next 3!) I hope you guys are able to get there next year :)

arjh wrote:Great route and photos. The tin shed is a railway wagon that has mysteriously teleported high onto the slopes of Clough Head...

Malky said he thought it looked like a railway wagon, but I couldn't work out how it could be there! Definitely a bit random :lol:

satkins wrote:Loved the photos and what magnificent views, would like to know the general area of your wild camp please.

:clap: :clap:

Thankyou - we camped about 20 metres from the summit of Clough Head (I think one of the photos shows the tent and the trig) We just dropped a couple of metres to be a bit sheltered when the wind picked up :wink:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland