walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn nan Oighreag, Glen Lochay

Beinn nan Oighreag, Glen Lochay

Postby maxie23 » Thu May 30, 2019 7:37 pm

Route description: Beinn nan Oighreag, Glen Lochay

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn nan Oighreag

Date walked: 29/05/2019

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 13.2 km

Ascent: 850m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I had planned to travel up to Kinlochleven for a three night camping trip but unfortunately the weather forecast for Thursday and Friday promised constant rain, leading to a last minute cancellation.
Wednesday morning looked very promising, so I took an early morning drive to Killin and then up the single track road alongside the Lochay river.
Very quiet road, with very few obvious passing places.
Parked in the small lay by just over the Allt Dhuin Croisg bridge and walked back to the 'Access to Meall Ghaordaidh' gate and began walking uphill.
I intended to follow the Allt Dhuin Croisg for a while and then head directly up to Beinn nan Oighreag.
The plan was to go up Beinn nan Oighreag and then descend down into the bealach and up to Meall Ghoardaidh, didn't quite work out that way.
It was a bit chilly to begin with but before long the bright early morning sunshine put a bit of heat in you.
There was something very therapeutic about walking through sunlit fields, filled with sheep and young lambs and not another human about.
When I got my first glimpse of Beinn nan Oighreag, I stopped for a bite to eat and took some photos, weather was still clear and sunny at this point.ImageEarly morning view down to Glen Lochay by robert irvine, on FlickrImageMeall Ghaordaidh by robert irvine, on FlickrImageMeall Ghaordaidh summit. by robert irvine, on FlickrImageFirst view of Beinn nan Oighreag. by robert irvine, on FlickrImagePicnic at the burn. by robert irvine, on Flickr
On the way up, my left boot had been rubbing at my heel a bit so I took off my sock and applied a little bit of padding and then carried on walking.
The walk up to the ridge was quite pleasant, through the heather on a reasonably dry hillside, not many boggy bits to avoid.
I just picked the easiest looking way up the slopes.
It began to cloud over a bit as I approached the top, the wind became a lot cooler and my heel began to nip quite a bit.
Once at the south summit, I had a quick look at the descent route down into the bealach.
It didn't appear too ominous and there was a clear line of fence posts to follow.
Made my way up to the summit cairn, more photos and a bite to eat.ImageMeall Ghaordaidh peak by robert irvine, on FlickrImageLoch Lyon by robert irvine, on FlickrImageLoch Lyon by robert irvine, on FlickrImageView to Ben Nevis by robert irvine, on FlickrImageLawers range and Tarmachan ridge. by robert irvine, on FlickrImageMeall Ghaordaidh and Lochearnhead hills to the left. by robert irvine, on Flickr
It had turned very chilly now and some rather dark clouds were beginning to roll in from the south west.
I took my sock off to have a quick look at my heel, ouch !ImageBlister on heel. by robert irvine, on Flickr
It really was a bit painful.
I cleaned it up and put some strapping on.ImageFirst aid skills by robert irvine, on Flickr
Who's a clever boy then.
I didn't really fancy a big descent and then another climb up with a foot like that, so I made my way directly back down from Beinn nan Oighreag.
Meall Ghordaidh will have to wait for another day.
Just got back too the car as the rain started, maybe it was all meant to be.
Nice walk, bit shorter than planned.

Meall nan Oighreag.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

maxie23

Munros:67   Corbetts:16
Fionas:3   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   

Re: Beinn nan Oighreag, Glen Lochay

Postby Jan Vi0la » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:34 am

Thanks for your pics and account (hope the blister healed fast!). We were the only folk on this hill yesterday 16/10/20 and it is a great point from which to view some very rugged and remote country. Rather a murky, cold day but nevertheless "atmospheric" !
Jan Vi0la
Scrambler

Munros:212   Corbetts:38
Fionas:9   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   

Postby maxie23 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:28 pm

Jan Vi0la wrote:Thanks for your pics and account (hope the blister healed fast!). We were the only folk on this hill yesterday 16/10/20 and it is a great point from which to view some very rugged and remote country. Rather a murky, cold day but nevertheless "atmospheric" !

Hi Jan Vi0la. :wave:
It is a nice hill with good views from the top.
Blister healed nicely thank you.
I like the term "atmospheric", could describe the weather on a lot of walks, cold, foggy wet and windy. :D

Regards
maxie23

Munros:67   Corbetts:16
Fionas:3   Donalds:4

Postby alan54 » Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:42 pm

Wish I had read your report BEFORE I went to do Beinn nan Oighreag not after- you did a much better route! :D
alan54
Mountain Walker

Munros:134   Corbetts:36
Fionas:5   
Islands:18

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland