walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Druim Eadar Da Choire

Druim Eadar Da Choire

Postby litljortindan » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:49 pm

Date walked: 16/10/2020

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 5 km

Ascent: 500m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Pleasant short walk with good views all round. A continuation to Marsco either via the 489m hilltop or by contouring round definitely looks feasible for anyone interested.

A bit of a boggy start but a good path emerged after twenty minutes of squelching. After the initial 1km of gentle slopes some great views opened up north over Raasay with the Red Cuillin providing a fine foreground. I also had good views of Marsco to the west, Glas Bheinn Mhor to the east and Belig/Garbh-bheinn ahead. Nice to see all of these hills that I’ve been up before from a new viewpoint. Glamaig to Beinn Dearg Mheadhonach in particular brought to mind our minor epic traverse in December 2005 in 30pm wind and Glas Bheinn Mhor recalled the minus fifteen windchill day a couple of years ago that seems to have left an effect on my right hand that got exposed a fair bit to the cold that day.

I took note about two thirds of the way to the 489 top of whether contouring to Marsco looks easy. I’d say yes but maybe best left for dry conditions.

I was at the 489m top after 2 hours and caught some fine light on Eigg and Rum. I hadn’t really thought too much about what the view might be like so I was quite struck by the panorama of Blaven, the isles, Sgurr na Stri and the Black Cuillin. That made my day, well morning.

Descended a bit in the direction of Marsco. A bit of a steep descent but easy enough I think and the ascent of Marsco’s southeast ridge from the bealach looks ok apart from maybe the odd patch of loose stones.

Back at the car after another couple of hours. May not seem a lot in exchange for a trip over from Aberdeenshire but I was quite pleased with my morning and that got even better with stops to look at reflections in Loch Ainort.

Set off at first light.

Last edited by litljortindan on Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Re: Druim Eadar Da Choire

Postby rockhopper » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:47 pm

Nice way to spend a morning even if a fair way to drive. Good to see some wildlife too with the heron - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Anne C » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:05 pm

Some stunning views there, especially towards Rum. Well worth the drive, definitely!
Anne C
Walker

Munros:142   Corbetts:30
Fionas:34   Donalds:29
Sub 2000:48   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:57

Postby litljortindan » Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:43 pm

rockhopper wrote:Nice way to spend a morning even if a fair way to drive. Good to see some wildlife too with the heron - cheers :)

Would have carried on to Marsco if the weather had been a bit more convincing and the ground a bit drier but still a good destination in itself. Lots of birdlife at Loch Ainort. Surprised me but I've never before spent much time there though I always meant to in the past.
litljortindan
Ambler

Postby litljortindan » Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:45 pm

Anne C wrote:Some stunning views there, especially towards Rum. Well worth the drive, definitely!

I agree!
I was going by the forecast to try to ensure decent weather which worked. Wasn't too bothered about what walk I then did but very pleased with where I went.
litljortindan
Ambler

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland