walkhighlands

To make the forum a bit more social... for new members (and old ones!) to introduce themselves to the site. You are welcome!

Getting back into it.

Getting back into it.

Postby djfisimpson » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:29 pm

Hello all,
Just getting back into the great outdoors, after far to long of a break.
I was brought up in the Lake District in Keswick but didn't realise how lucky I was. My playground was all the local fells spending many a weekend day going up the fells looking at aircraft wrecks from the WW2 and during the summer holidays traveling up to Borrowdale to stay with my Gran and hitting the fells up there.
At the age of 17, I left Keswick to join the RAF Regiment and my first posting was down South. First thing I noticed it was all flat and when you met folk and said hello they just looked at you unlike on the fells.
In my 23 years service I got the opportunity to get mountaineering qualifications and lead many expeditions in the UK and Europe.
When I was posted up to the Northern area of Scotland, I spent most weekends going out with the mountaineering club bagging Munros, most of which I couldn't tell you what the view was like.
I'm in the process of uploading my ventures but I think its going to take a while.
Got the buzz again for the great outdoors after my son wanted to learn how to navigate without an I phone, he's confident and good but not as good as me :lol:
Now living in the Scottish Borders.
Stay safe everyone.
djfisimpson
Mountaineer

Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   

Re: Getting back into it.

Postby Arthurs Eat » Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:19 pm

Good luck and well done for rediscovering your mojo. I had some dealings with the RAF mrt from Kinloss in the mid eighties. I was a sapper. Very impressed with their professionalism at the time. It can seem a bit strange at times when people don’t seem to want to acknowledge your existence. Don’t stop acknowledging people. Enjoy your time out and about with the sprog.
Arthurs Eat
Munro compleatist

Munros:234   Corbetts:29
Fionas:17   Donalds:38
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:35
Wainwrights:32   Islands:16

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Say hello...