walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Solo hikers ?

Re: Solo hikers ?

Postby widdershins » Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:42 pm

Sounds like a Londoner who hadn't yet gotten the memo about greeting folks on the hills in Scotland!

I lived for 13 years in London and walked a lot in the south of England. Ignoring each other is mostly the order of the day.
widdershins
Wanderer

Munros:13   Corbetts:2
Fionas:4   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:30

Postby Marty_JG » Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:09 am

widdershins wrote:Sounds like a Londoner who hadn't yet gotten the memo about greeting folks on the hills in Scotland! I lived for 13 years in London and walked a lot in the south of England. Ignoring each other is mostly the order of the day.

An oldie but a goldie giving a laff about what you say.

Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby CharlesT » Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:49 am

Marty_JG wrote:
widdershins wrote:Sounds like a Londoner who hadn't yet gotten the memo about greeting folks on the hills in Scotland! I lived for 13 years in London and walked a lot in the south of England. Ignoring each other is mostly the order of the day.

An oldie but a goldie giving a laff about what you say.

Thanks for that, I hadn't seen it. Brilliant!
Born and raised in North Lancashire I spent 38 years working in tte City of London. Adapting quite quickly I would have been utterly flummoxed to be addressed by someone I didn't know and I don't recall ever addressing anyone similarly. The habit has become so ingrained I still find myself at something of a loss when greeted on a hill. :shock:
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby Sgurr » Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:31 am

There are some Munros where people frequently rush past without speaking. Carn Dearg and Sgor Gaibre south of Loch Ossian are two that seem to change behaviour as those coming off the first train from the south and desperate to get back before the last know that it they are below average speed they really need to get an unaccustomed move on. Couldn't believe how many cold shouldered us until we looked at the watch and decided it was time to up a gear ourselves.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion