walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

No swine on Mount Keen

No swine on Mount Keen

Postby kevsbald » Sun May 03, 2009 7:14 pm

Route description: Mount Keen from Glen Esk

Munros included on this walk: Mount Keen

Date walked: 22/11/2009

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It had been a tough week at work, dealing with swine flu and the fallout. Thankfully, I had been told to bugger off for the weekend and I thought I'd head to the Grampians en route to my folks. I had had a few problems with my knee recently and was 'keen' to try it out on the walk-in and moderate ascent. The first thing that struck me was that it's a helluva long road until you even get to the car park at Glen Esk but it was lovely to be stepping out into the peace and tranquility again. Bagged up and ready to go, I headed past the curiously named 'House of Mark' (he wisnae aboot) and it's sign directing you to Mt Keen.
IMG_2788.JPG
Mark's hoose and the way ahead
The path was superb and as the glen opened up, I could even see as far as the path ascending up past the Ladder Burn, which was maybe 4 or 5 km in the distance. A few walkers were out and about and it wasn't long before I walked past the Queen's Well, which was itself a major public health problem - the water was stagnant and I doubt HRH drank from this in a past life.
IMG_2791.JPG
The Queen's Well
As I walked past the wee hoose (how I'd love to live there), I noticed a curious bump off to the left, which looked like it might offer some decent rock-climbing - must check out that and see if it's recommended.
IMG_2793.JPG
Fit's this potential rock-climbing carbuncle?
The path meandered up on to the Knowe of Crippley (sp?) and before long, the cone of Mount Keen was clear.
IMG_2795.JPG
The summit ahead
It had been fairly benign weather conditions to this point but a cold Easterly wind called for the waterproofs especially as sleet was being deposited on one. The trig point was tagged and a fab view over to Lochnagar was in evidence.
IMG_2806.JPG
Lochnagar
It really is a fine view point and I could see Bennachie to the North. A wee howf has been fashioned just beside the trig point and i had a spot of lunch in the shelter and relished the peace and quiet. The return leg was very straightforward and I would definitely recommend this Munro as a relaxing wander, with little effort to ascend to the summit. It would also be a great Winter walk but I don't know how good the road would be from Tarfside to the car park (about 4 miles). The book-time says 3 hours 10 to the summit but I did this walk in just under 4 hours so it's a very generous time to ascend. I did run down from the summit to the wee house but all in all, this was a very relaxing walk and not a swine in sight. Bad joke time - man goes to the doctor and says 'Doc, I think I had swine flu, I've had symptoms for one weeeeeeeeeeek....'
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Re: No swine on Mount Keen

Postby IainG » Mon May 04, 2009 9:08 pm

My local Munro, and very underrated :D

The lump you were looking at is Craig of Doune, which as you approach looks like a mini Buachille Etive Mor. The front is steep and would probably offer some scrambling, but the ascent up the side is steep but pleasant. It's actually a fine way of heading across the rolling landscape and up the west side of Mount Keen. A great day out.

Alternatively, if you check the map at Craig of Doune, you'll see the ellusive 'Balnamoons Cave'. Try finding that!
IainG
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:11
Fionas:7   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:4   

Postby kevsbald » Tue May 05, 2009 10:25 am

Iain,

thanks a million for that, I was intrigued, it was such a curious looking hill and it did remind a little of the Buachaille.
Next time I'm up there, i will look for that cave!
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby IainG » Tue May 05, 2009 1:47 pm

This is the Craig of Doune last time I was there:

And this is the cairn on it's top, looking back to where the last picture was taken.

From here, you follow the rolling hills over towards Mount Keen from the west:

To the summit!!

:D :D :D
IainG
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:11
Fionas:7   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:4   

Postby yokehead » Tue May 05, 2009 5:45 pm

An interesting report, cheers. 8)

Perhaps a week in the hills should be prescribed as an avoidance for the flu, I'll see what my Doc thinks...
yokehead

Munros:73   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:118
Wainwrights:23   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland