walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Ideal pack size and weight for weekend backpack?

Ideal pack size and weight for weekend backpack?

Postby FiferStu » Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:37 pm

Hi,

Looking for others' thoughts and opinions on this topic.

In the distant past I backpacked weekends - sleeping out one or at most two nights - using a 65-litre pack.

However that was 15 years and more ago. Ideally I want to get down to using my larger daypack (35 litres). With a tent, sleeping back and cooking equipment, etc, is this feasible? I'd also need to carry all food, as I won't be passing through any "resupply points".

Very interested to hear your views/experiences - what capacity to you use, and indeed what pack? The 35 litre I have is a good one, a Macpac Torlesse. (The only thing I dislike about it is the straps that pull the lid down - they're designed in such a way that you can't use them to strap anything on the back. I've never understood the logic of this design). That aside, I like everything else about it.

Any replies appreciated...
FiferStu
Walker

Munros:36   Corbetts:14
Fionas:15   Donalds:28
Sub 2000:10   

Re: Ideal pack size and weight for weekend backpack?

Postby Gythral » Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:50 pm

I dont carry a tent (prefering a bivi bag) and use an OMM Classic 25L sack plus 4L chest addon for upto 3 or 4 days.
Stove is a meths "shampoo lid" & mug for rehydrated meals, a 4 season down sleeping bag + mat & the only spare clothes are a few changes of socks...
Gythral

Munros:19   Corbetts:8
Fionas:4   
Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:1   

Postby weaselmaster » Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:34 pm

I use an Osprey Exos 58l bag for overnighters. Nice light pack with good space inside, can compress too. Has detachable hood though haven’t made much use of that. There’s also a 48l if you need less stuff than me 😉
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:216
Fionas:183   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Postby Skyelines » Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:11 pm

I can't comment on modern gear but back in the 70s this is what I got into/onto a 30 litre pack for a few winter nights on Snowdon.

And packed ready to go

I would think that with modern lightweight and less bulky kit 35 litres should be ample and an awful lot lighter.

Good memories.
Skyelines
Wanderer

Postby Arthurs Eat » Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:39 pm

Oh you left the carpet out!
Arthurs Eat
Munro compleatist

Munros:234   Corbetts:29
Fionas:14   Donalds:31
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:35
Wainwrights:32   Islands:16

Postby Skyelines » Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:58 pm

Arthurs Eat wrote:Oh you left the carpet out!

:lol:

Who'd want to take that carpet? :shock:
Skyelines
Wanderer

Postby rgf101 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:30 pm

35 litres is plenty for a day or two in summer. Even more so if you don't mind strapping stuff to the outside of the bag - I used to be paranoid about stuff falling off, but I got over that and it makes a lot of difference - especially on day 2 when you can't be bothered spending so much time arranging everything as you did at home...
rgf101

Postby WalkWithWallace » Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:09 pm

35-40l for a night or two away, if you've got the bulk of your sleep system and shelter down.
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:192
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby Wandererssolo » Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:46 am

I’m going walking for 2 nights with a dog. It’s a bit cooler but dry over next few days. I’m using an Exos48. Down bag, sleep mat, dog’s Downie and fleecy mat. Food for 2 days and extra socks and merino underpants. Lightweight Patagonia synthetic jacket. Rain jacket. Tent and footprint - Nordisk Telemark 2. Technical bag with charge battery cables etc.
Dog carrying own food in a dog back pack. Trying for 10 kilos max. If it was summer, I could easily get under that
If it wasn’t for the dog I would have bought an Exos 38 when I bought my new pack. Previously using a very heavy berghaus 65l which killed me because the back never stayed adjusted when loaded up. Looked at Lowe Alpine 35-45 with adjustable back but didn’t fancy the faff after the Berghaus.
Wandererssolo
Hill Bagger

Munros:9   
Fionas:1   

Postby Mal Grey » Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:48 am

If its a summer 1/2 nighter, and reasonably accessible terrain, I use a 40L pack and get everything inside it except the small tent which straps up one side. However, its a bit of a squeeze if I need to take a little more gear for bad weather or in a more remote area.
I recently added a new pack to my collection specifically for this reason. Whilst looking, I spent most time around the 50 litre mark, and nearly bought a 48. However, trying lots of things on, I realised that things have moved on so much since my last larger pack (my '96 Karrimor) that going a little larger was going to add little difference to the weight. I ended up with a Gregory Paragon 58, and its unbelievable how comfortable it is compared with what I've used before. The extra space is useful on occasion, and means this pack would also do longer trips too, I just have to be disciplined not to fill it up automatically with other essentials like spare wine :lol: It also means that when I'm walking in areas where finding water is not so simple, I can carry a bit extra without having to tie stuff to the outside, and the pack can handle the extra weight. And on the odd single night on the South Down, I can choose to lump a Helinox chair and a frying pan in to give me a comfortable night's sitting out under the stars eating a nice bit of sirloin. You can tell my priorities are not in travelling too light!
For me then, something 50-60L with a lightish construction adds a bit of versatility without weighing too much. Most of the time 50 would be more than enough. It is a bit big for normal day walking though.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Holly » Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:08 pm

I have a 35 litre pack and it holds an overnight or two for three seasons. BUT,, My 60 litre Granite gear is actually lighter than the 35 litre pack so it makes sense to use that instead, I try not to overpack it and in winter, it allows for additional winter gear. It rolls down well anyway and very comfortable. I absolutely hate strapping anything to my pack so it all needs to fit inside and the weight is never more than about 12 kilos as I carry extra mat and bag for my dogs. One of them carry a dog pack with their food.
Holly
Munro compleatist

Munros:240   Corbetts:5
Fionas:4   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby FiferStu » Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:27 pm

Mal Grey wrote: realised that things have moved on so much since my last larger pack (my '96 Karrimor) that going a little larger was going to add little difference to the weight.

Mal Grey, is that the Karrimor Jaguar GR 65 by any chance? I bought one in 1997 and still have it. It's a heavy beast (about 2.2kg when empty). That's what I want to move on from.
FiferStu
Walker

Postby FiferStu » Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:31 pm

Thanks to all who have responded.

Although on paper, 35l should be enough for one or two nights, the pack I've got, coupled with the tent, sleeping bag and mat volume, might not cut it. So it's either stick with the old 65 litre Karrimor, or invest in newer sleeping equipment. It's a no brainer really.
FiferStu
Walker

Postby shinenotburn » Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:06 pm

WalkWithWallace wrote:35-40l for a night or two away, if you've got the bulk of your sleep system and shelter down.

Agree. Just be ruthless with the spare stuff.

Iain.
shinenotburn
Mountaineer

Munros:212   Corbetts:16
Fionas:7   Donalds:27
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk