walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Walking dog harness

Walking dog harness

Postby wildgoose1uk » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:08 pm

Hi

I'm looking to get a harness for my terrier and was wondering what others used or for recommendations. I *think* I have narrowed it down to Ruffwear or Hurtta but this is by no means set in stone. The Ruffwear appears more substantial but so it should be at twice the price. The one thing I think I will need is a handle as he isn't a big dog and will need help over styles of through water.

What do folks think? What brand and how much should I spend?

Thx in advance

Wg
wildgoose1uk
Wanderer

Re: Walking dog harness

Postby tweedledog » Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:09 pm

I've had a Ruffwear Web Master harness for about 8 years now. It's been excellent; well made and sturdy. The handle allows me to pick the dog up like a suitcase and carry him where necessary. He weighs about 18kg and doesn't approve of the intervention, but it's effective. They're certainly not cheap - over £60 at the moment I think - but mine has proved well worth whatever I paid 8 years ago.
tweedledog
Wanderer

Postby Manwaeadug » Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:36 pm

I've got a Truelove harness for my terrier (13Kg). Bought from Amazon and does the job incredibly well. He had a more substantial harness, but it rubbed him as the plastic buckles sat below the padded area of the harness against the skin and I had to change it. Didn't matter how loose or tight the harness was, it rubbed. I'd pay particular attention to the buckle location if I were you.

The Truelove harness buckles sit on the outside of the padded area, and any rubbing is impossible. It's also reflective which is an added bonus and has a small but usable handle.

I've had two now, he outgrew the first one and it was donated to a rescue centre as it was still in excellent condition.

The biggest, toughest, most rugged harness might not necessarily be the one you need, particularly for a small terrier. Truelove might not be the one you want, but I'd recommend you have a look at it.

Edit: You'll probably pick one up around £15 - £20 I would think.
Manwaeadug
Walker

Munros:1   Corbetts:3
Fionas:3   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:4   
Walk wish-list

Postby Marty_JG » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:24 pm

Another vote for Truelove. Lovely fit, good price, and I can hoy an 11kg cockapoo over scrambles and deer fences.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby Holly » Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:25 pm

I have the ruffwear webmaster for mine and had it many years now. Have a wee look at their website as they also give good instructions for how to have them fit properly. Its been a godsend to help me with my older dog who needs a hand now and again and the handle is brill for that. It fully supports your dog under the abdomen as well so he/she wont slip out if they were to fall.
Holly
Munro compleatist

Munros:240   Corbetts:5
Fionas:4   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby KatTai » Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:24 am

If you can try and get to a shop that stocks several brands including Hurrta and Ruffwear and have them tried on, see which fits best and is most comfortable for your dog. It's like us buying shoes, if they don't fit comfortably then no matter how good the brand it just won't work and no one wants to walk for hours in uncomfortable shoes. I've used Hurtta for a number of years (now have a Non-Stop line harness, which we got when getting one of mine fitted for a canicross harness, but no handle on those) and found them good though the fitting on one style just didn't suit any of mine. Ruffwear are a bit out of my price range so have never used them but they certainly have a good reputation.
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

Postby WalkWithWallace » Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:54 pm

Ruffwear, it's expensive, but you can see where you money goes, durable and good for the mutt. 8)
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:193
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby wildgoose1uk » Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:59 pm

Thanks for the top on Truelove, I've not heard of them before and will certainly check them out. I have been wondering if the Ruffwear harness gives a layer of weather protection as well. The photos on the website suggest it does but is value input from those with experience.

It's a great suggestion to get them fitted at a shop but I'm not sure where I would find them on sale locally. Should probably look on their website for dealers I suppose...lol 😊
wildgoose1uk
Wanderer

Postby tweedledog » Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:47 am

wildgoose1uk wrote: I have been wondering if the Ruffwear harness gives a layer of weather protection as well. The photos on the website suggest it does but is value input from those with experience.

Does provide a little, but nothing to compare to a decent coat. Certainly don't allow expectation of weather protection to influence your decision.
tweedledog
Wanderer

Postby KatTai » Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:18 pm

wildgoose1uk wrote:I have been wondering if the Ruffwear harness gives a layer of weather protection as well. The photos on the website suggest it does but is value input from those with experience.

They have brought out a new coat-harness hybrid if you were wanting weather protection as well, though that doesn't have a handle, but you would need an ordinary harness for the summer. The harness itself doesn't do much to protect from the weather, if it did there would be an issue using them in the summer as dogs would be at risk of overheating.
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

Postby SMRussell » Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:21 am

Hey wildgoose,

another vote for Ruffwear. Our 1 yr old border terrier - also called Goose btw :wink: - has a Ruffwear Hi and Light for general walking and a Ruffwear Flagline for hiking and running.

We've found them to be durable and very functional. The Flagline is great. It hugs the chest and belly and the handle goes along the back rather than across the back so you can pick him up comfortably and securely when needed (scrambling, going over cattle grids, when Goose stubbornly decides he doesn't want to move because he has to stop and stare at hikers/sheep/cows/dogs/some random plastic bag or balloon caught on a fence :crazy: ).

I also find that the Flagline fits a little better than the Hi and Light which is a little roomier than we'd like around the chest. As KatTai said, its like gear you buy for yourself - it is better to try it on before committing any ££.

The main con is the price, however, you're paying for something that needs to keep your dog safe and comfortable so it is worth going for good quality. Having said that, we didn't cough up the RRP for the Flagline. We got it from The Epicentre (independent shop based in Ambleside - https://www.theepicentre.co.uk/) as they were offering 20% off at the time.

Hi and Light: https://ruffwear.co.uk/products/hi-and-light-dog-harness
Flagline: https://ruffwear.co.uk/products/dog-harness-flagline
SMRussell

Munros:184   Corbetts:20
Fionas:16   Donalds:34
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:122
Wainwrights:103   Islands:11

Postby wildgoose1uk » Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:46 pm

That's a good point about the dog overheating in a combined coat/harness. Don't know why I didn't think of that.

I have pretty much ruled out trulove principally because the harness does not seem to be made out of breathable fabric. My lad's coat is extremely prone to matting and anything I can do to avoid that I will do.

Another vote for Ruffwear....... I hadn't considered the Flagline before. It does look very smart and perhaps a little lighter that the webmaster. I like the look off the third strap that they both have and my Bedlington Terrier is not that different in size to a Border terrier so it looks like that could work.

Getting it fitted is perhaps the best advice of all so it looks like a trip to Harry's in Portobello is on the cards 😊
wildgoose1uk
Wanderer

Postby Marty_JG » Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:52 pm

wildgoose1uk wrote:I have pretty much ruled out trulove principally because the harness does not seem to be made out of breathable fabric. My lad's coat is extremely prone to matting and anything I can do to avoid that I will do.

It's a bog-standard nylon material. I've got a cockapoo whose coat I keep a bit longer, she mats but the harness doesn't make it worse.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby St Pedro » Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:28 pm

Try K9active in Rosyth, its in the old fire station building on castle road

https://www.k9active.co.uk/dog-harnesses/

just been in to their well stocked shop yesterday and my Westie tried on Hurtta, ruffwear and rukka harnesses
(Hurtta and Rukka both finnish companies)

I never realised there was a shop there and I live in dunfermline, until doing similar research this week and checked out stockists as wanted to try them on and feel/see what looked like before shelling out

excellent knowledgeable service and selection of harnesses, had all sizes and colours and also a brilliant selection of quality natural dog treats, Cody particularly liked this bit of the shop and resulted in few treats coming home...

A family run business that i will now be supporting rather than local pets at home,
reading their website blogs I really like their business ethos.

Ps
i bought the ruffwear front range harness and matching collar for everyday use, but will probably go back for the more substantial flagline for next years hillwalking outings as like having a handle for lifting over more common fences find on Corbetts and Grahams
St Pedro
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:200
Fionas:73   Donalds:89+49
Sub 2000:24   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:6   Islands:36

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk