walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

My Favourite Munro.. So Far

My Favourite Munro.. So Far

Postby Coutts94 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:58 pm

Munros included on this walk: Seana Bhràigh

Date walked: 09/11/2020

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 20 km

Ascent: 900m

9 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

NB: All Tier Guidelines were followed for this day out

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

So the time had come, I looked at my Munro Map on the wall, and seen I had one little triangle left to complete the Ullapool Region. Seana Bhraigh. This was to be my first "area" of Munro's to be complete. I hadn't heard an awful lot about this one, just that it was remote, and there were two ways to attempt it.

One was the long walk in from Inverlael, the other was a cycle in from Oykel Bridge/Corriemulzie Lodge.

Since I had completed the Beinn Dearg Four around a month earlier, I opted for a change of scenery and picked the Oykel Bridge Route. I looked at the Map and got in touch with Corriemulzie Estate, they said the estate path was open to the public; but may not be open the whole way.

So I set of from Inverness at 6am, Hoping to start on the bike at 8am. Time was getting more and more limited as the days get shorter so I wanted to make it in good time.

The drive to Oykel Bridge turned out to be a disaster.. For a start the sat nav on my phone took me left at Ardgay, I thought it might have been a shortcut, but no, 30 minutes down a single track road to a dead end. Thanks Sat Nav.

An hour wasted there meant I got there around 9, not helped by the fact I went into a farmers field by accident before Corriemulzie Estate. He came out asking what I was doing :lol: Not surprised as I was in a little white van.. must have looked suspicious! Anyway, he pointed me in the right direction. So thanks for that!

A few tips for anyone trying this route, as of November 2020:

The road is closed around 4km North of Corriemulzie Lodge, it is closed above the Old Schoolhouse Bothy. But you can still park at an old quarry.

The road can be a nightmare to follow, a few diversions and even my viewranger wasnt the greatest,

The road is suitable for most cars, if you have a Ferrari or the like then I wouldnt attempt it :lol:

So I finally set off down the long track to the base of Seana Bhraigh. I have to say the paths were excellent, Once at Corriemulzie Lodge it gets a little rougher but nothing too bad.

The whole drive to Oykel Bridge was covered in fog, but the forecast was for clear tops so I kept my fingers crossed. I got soaked cycling in because of the thick mist..

1.png
Corriemulzie Lodge

Corriemulzie Lodge was slightly underwhelming :lol:

But once I got closer to the bottom of Seana Bhraigh, I could see glimmers of blue sky. I had a good feeling about this one.

2.png
Outline of Seana Bhraigh

I could tell from here this one was going to be special. It took me about 1hr 30mins to cycle down the path, this included stopping taking videos/drone shots :lol: The path then forks off to the right, there is a little cairn so I chose to leave my bike there. Nothing to chain it around, but I doubt it would get stolen there!

7.png
Handy Place to drop the Bike

This place felt so remote. Even though it was only a pretty short cycle in, it is miles from any road. I seen so much wildlife on the way in, including a HUGE golden eagle! It looked as if it was flying in slow motion. Unfortunately my GoPro was strapped to my bike :(

Once I started to walk, I was soon out of the fog. I was then rewarded with this:

3.png
Fog Line

4.png
Out of the fog

5.png
Out of the fog

I have to say, I probably spent more time looking back at the views than ahead towards Seana Bhraigh. It was stunning!
:D

After around 1hr and 45min I was close to the top of Seana Bhraigh, Its not until I reached the Summit Cairn that I realized how special this place was. Funnily enough there was someone else there before me :lol: he had walked in from Inverlael, and had a huge walk ahead of him so made his way after 5 minutes.

The view of the cliffs and Creag an Duine was insane, I could have sat all day and admired it. The views were spectacular in every direction!

6.png
Seana Bhraigh Summit

I literally cant post any pictures that will do it justice, But I have attached my Youtube Video at the end if you want to check it out!

I also got to fly my Drone, Unbelievable to get such a calm day in November. Again the footage is better in video form, but here is a snapshot of the cliffs:

DJI_0091.jpg
Cliffs Of Seana Bhraigh

I sat here for about an hour :lol: I literally couldn't get up and leave it. What a stunning place, I had originally planned to do the scramble on the ridge across but it looked a bit daunting. If I was with someone else then I probably would have, but being solo I chickened out.

This was my 30th Munro since lockdown ended, and definitely my favorite so far. I think its because I wasn't expecting so much of it, but boy did it deliver!

It also felt good getting home and scratching off the final Ullapool Region Munro.. and what a way to do it! :D

There is no doubt I will be back here, and scramble that ridge in the summer. :D

I document every Munro that I do, for my own memories and for anyone interested. So here is the video if you want to check it out;

Thanks for reading.
Coutts94
Mountain Walker

Munros:243   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   

Re: My Favourite Munro.. So Far

Postby Alteknacker » Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:34 pm

What a day! I hazard a guess that the wonderful weather contributed no little to this being your favourite Munro so far.

And nothing to beat emerging from the cloud above a cloud inversion, even for the hundredth time :D
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Coutts94 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:56 pm

Alteknacker wrote:What a day! I hazard a guess that the wonderful weather contributed no little to this being your favourite Munro so far.

And nothing to beat emerging from the cloud above a cloud inversion, even for the hundredth time :D

Yeah weather definitely contributed! Also just liked the remoteness. My last few Munro’s have been in rain so that maybe made me enjoy it all the more :lol:
Coutts94
Mountain Walker

Postby Kinshusrst Kid » Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:32 am

There is no doubt I will be back here, and scramble that ridge in the summer.

If you do then stay overnight at Magoo's bothy and spend the evening admiring where you have been.
Kinshusrst Kid

Postby malrobb » Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:44 pm

Looks like you had a cracking day for November. Good wee video as well.
malrobb
Mountain Walker

Munros:201   

Postby Coutts94 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:45 pm

Kinshusrst Kid wrote:There is no doubt I will be back here, and scramble that ridge in the summer.

If you do then stay overnight at Magoo's bothy and spend the evening admiring where you have been.

Yes might need to do this when the bothys re-open :)
Coutts94
Mountain Walker

Postby Coutts94 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:45 pm

malrobb wrote:Looks like you had a cracking day for November. Good wee video as well.

Yeah was really lucky with the weather! Thanks for watching :D
Coutts94
Mountain Walker

9 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland