walkhighlands

To make the forum a bit more social... for new members (and old ones!) to introduce themselves to the site. You are welcome!

Hi

Hi

Postby SusanandAnnabel » Mon May 04, 2009 2:47 pm

Hi, I'm Susan and I'm new to hill walking! I did a few walks last year - but nothing too strenuous. This summer I'd like to try more walking and some new places. I live about an hour from both Aviemore and Ballater, and would like to try some walking there to start with.

Can anyone recommend any walks for me to start me off? :D

Thanks very much.

Susan
SusanandAnnabel

Re: Hi

Postby Paul Webster » Mon May 04, 2009 3:27 pm

Hi there!

Are you looking for Munro-type hillwalks, or something a bit easier?

For Munros, Cairngorm is good by the Northern Corries. Other good routes which aren't too bad when the snow is all gone are Lochnagar, and maybe Bynack More. [http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/cairngorms/meallabhuachaille.shtml]Meall a'Bhuachaille[/url] is a good easier hillwalk.

Hope you enjoy, whatever you do. Let us know how you get on 8)
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby alanm » Mon May 04, 2009 5:47 pm

Hi Susan

The munros up around the ski slopes at Glenshee are some of the easiest. Good starting point for some high level walking (the chair lifts arent that nice to look at but if you pick a nice day you still get some fantastic long views especially over towards the cairngorms. Plenty wild hare running around and ptarmigan playing hide and seek to keep things interesting too.
alanm

Munros:242   Corbetts:75
Fionas:50   Donalds:26+7
Sub 2000:98   Hewitts:48
Wainwrights:60   Islands:40

Postby SusanandAnnabel » Mon May 04, 2009 9:03 pm

Thank you both for your replies. My plan is to do Lochnagar this summer, as I've walked round Loch Muick too many times with always great intentions...!

I'm thinking I'll maybe start off with slightly less than a munro - just to get my fitness level up a bit - then try one of the easier munros (again any advice would be grateful) later in the summer.

Thanks again

Susan
SusanandAnnabel

Postby mountain coward » Wed May 06, 2009 2:00 am

Hi and welcome... another easy Munro in your area is An Socach - starts off from a side-shoot glen off Glen Clunie south of Braemar (can't remember the name of the glen but it ends up at the back of The Cairnwell). The glen was also very interesting as it had loads of old shielings/villages and I found it very atmospheric. From the top of An Socach there are great views into the very lovely head of Glen Ey, one of my favourite glens.
mountain coward

Postby Myth » Fri May 08, 2009 10:32 pm

SusanandAnnabel wrote:Thank you both for your replies. My plan is to do Lochnagar this summer, as I've walked round Loch Muick too many times with always great intentions...!

I'm thinking I'll maybe start off with slightly less than a munro - just to get my fitness level up a bit - then try one of the easier munros (again any advice would be grateful) later in the summer.

Thanks again

Susan

Lochnagar is actually a fairly lengthy day - and a lengthy haul too, but well worth the effort. We added the next Munro round when we were last up, and then returned to go down the waterfall return - very good track, but by the time we hit the loch, we were beyond caring for the walk out along the loch.
If you are near Kirkmichael / Glenshee then I'd second the suggestion that you practise on the four Munros to the east of the main Glenshee car park. The northern three are nice and simple hills, not exposed, simple navigation (as long as mist is gone) and rewarding - well within the capabilities of casual walkers.
If you are up north then Cairn Gorm or An Socach would be favourite. If chosing Cairn Gorm, Don't go down to Loch Avon - it's a BIG drop in, and can be a struggle to get out in any direction other than the BIG BIG walk out North and round West.
Myth

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Say hello...