walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Teallach & Beinn a'Chaorainn

Beinn Teallach & Beinn a'Chaorainn

Postby Jokester » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:36 pm

Route description: Beinn a' Chaorainn & Beinn Teallach

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Chaorainn (Glen Spean), Beinn Teallach

Date walked: 24/08/2020

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 17.15 km

Ascent: 1154m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can't say I particularly enjoyed this days walk, I seem to remember it was quite warm and humid.

The walk starts off through the forestry tracks from the roadside and once further in there's been some recent logging so it's a bit of an eysore at first.

ImageIMG_0714 by matthew_chalmers, on Flickr
First look of Beinn Teallach

Once through the forest I took the right path to head up Beinn a'Chaorainn first and through a bit of a soggy bit. I should have paid more attention to the WH guide rather than following the two lads a couple of minutes ahead along the prominent path.

ImageIMG_0716 by matthew_chalmers, on Flickr

After a good 20 minutes of walking it was increasingly clear that the path we were on was traversing across the side of the hill rather than heading up. At this point it was just a case of making a path straight up the side to try and get back to the ridge which was what my memory of the WH walk route was.

ImageIMG_0717 by matthew_chalmers, on Flickr

Even once onto the ridge there wasn't an obvious path to follow, but by this point it is pretty clear the route to take.

ImageIMG_0720 by matthew_chalmers, on Flickr

Avoided the false summit and went direct to the true summit marked with a cairn.

ImageIMG_0721 by matthew_chalmers, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0723 by matthew_chalmers, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0725 by matthew_chalmers, on Flickr

From here it's a gentle walk over the ridge before dropping down.

ImageIMG_0726 by matthew_chalmers, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0728 by matthew_chalmers, on Flickr
Looking back towards the summit

ImageIMG_0729 by matthew_chalmers, on Flickr
Aonach Mor and the Nevis Ski Centre

The drop down towards the next Munro is just a ramble over grassy slopes with no defined path, but it's easy going, if slightly steep in places.

ImageIMG_0732 by matthew_chalmers, on Flickr
Almost down

ImageIMG_0733 by matthew_chalmers, on Flickr
Path up towards the next Munro

The path up towards Beinn Teallach is a bit more interesting as it picks it's way past rocky outcrops and pools (wish I had took some photos here).

ImageIMG_0734 by matthew_chalmers, on Flickr
View east from the summit of Beinn Teallach

ImageIMG_0736 by matthew_chalmers, on Flickr
View south (visited the other top to be safe :lol: )

ImageIMG_0737 by matthew_chalmers, on Flickr
Heading back down towards the car.

ImageIMG_0739 by matthew_chalmers, on Flickr
Ben Nevis peaking over Aonach Mor

The route down is again, just a ramble through grass and heather until you reach the path at the bottom of the glen, leading towards the river ford, luckily water levels were low so crossing it was trivial

ImageIMG_0746 by matthew_chalmers, on Flickr
Fairly dry river bed!
Attachments

Track_040.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Jokester
Mountain Walker

Munros:77   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland