walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Duncolm and the Slacks from Cochno

Duncolm and the Slacks from Cochno

Postby problemplay » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:31 pm

Route description: Duncolm and the Slacks, Old Kilpatrick

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Duncolm

Date walked: 19/11/2020

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 15 km

Ascent: 550m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I wanted to write this up as I couldn’t find much reference to getting to Duncolm from the Cochno direction. Having linked a few walks together in the Kilpatricks I thought it would be a good (if soggy) outing to reach Duncolm from the Cochno side, and set off on a lovely day when we were unlikely to encounter any issues with cloud.

We parked at the Auchnacraig car park and walked down the lanes to reach the track up to Greenside Reservoir. This was the quickest going and driest bit of the day! From Greenside it is a quick climb up to the Slacks trig point, and then we took a fairly direct line down to Loch Humphrey.

38BC39D8-6267-41D0-BB0B-5DAEA48CC49F.jpeg

Towards Dumgoyne and the Campsies from the Slacks

The scar is pretty clear from Loch Humphrey leading off towards Duncolm and it was wet. So much bog. It has been a pretty miserable few days (weeks? Months?) so not surprising it was sodden, but my walking pal Chris was approaching trench foot levels of soggyness.

8D4196D4-91FE-4162-85DA-23BA40361801.jpeg

Towards Duncolm from the Slacks

B450EC82-C785-445B-8E7D-C47018DB53C0.jpeg

Loch Humphrey

We slowly made our way over to Middle Duncolm, then it is one last little boggy climb up the side of Duncolm itself.

25AF7F19-7CFE-4581-9A87-CC03D3063A0C.jpeg

Duncolm from Middle Duncolm

2B0BBB81-3AE2-49CF-8F47-761CAE01CF0E.jpeg

Towards Loch Lomond from Duncolm. Ben Lomond and a snowy Ben More clearly visible.

We came down the south side of Duncolm, following some old broken iron fencing which eventually turns into dry stone wall. There is a decent trod route following the right hand side of the wall all the way back to Greenside Reservoir, again very wet but probably no worse than what we went through on the way up.

From Greenside Chris decided his feet couldn’t get any wetter so we went over Cochno hill over to Jaw Reservoir and back down through the fields to the car park. Excellent day out.
Attachments

Duncolm.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

problemplay

Munros:68   Corbetts:13
Fionas:4   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:70
Wainwrights:88   Islands:10

Re: Duncolm and the Slacks from Cochno

Postby Marty_JG » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:00 pm

Nice to see a different route taken.

It's marsh year round but crazy after periods of rain. Tall boots and gaiters at a minimum, waders at worst. :lol:
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Re: Duncolm and the Slacks from Cochno

Postby NeepNeep » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:28 am

I did a very similar wander post Lockdown I. I explored the Slacks and headed over the three summits to Duncolm for a hot chocolate. I found some newly installed deer fences to be a bit of a bother but else a nice walk. Been meaning to go up this for 10+yrs!!!
NeepNeep
Stravaiging

Munros:105   Corbetts:28
Fionas:10   Donalds:5
Hewitts:75
Wainwrights:79   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland