walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

New covid restrictions

Re: New covid restrictions

Postby gman » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:45 pm

Current Covid law on exercising outdoors for levels 3 & 4:

Examples of reasonable excuse

(t)exercise outdoors, provided that the exercise—
(i)is not organised, and
(ii)starts and ends at the same place, which place must be—
(aa)in the local government area in which the person lives, or
(bb)within 5 miles of such local government area,

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ssi/2020/389/regulation/5/made
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

Postby gman » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:33 pm

Sunset tripper wrote:The study into mountaineering and covid has shown the risks are negligible and maybe the scottish government has taken that on board to a small extent. :?

I'm not sure what the thinking is, outdoor exercise is the only reasonable excuse with a travel limit so you can't currently drive from Glasgow to Glen Coe and climb the Buachaille but you can go to a wedding in the Kingshouse.
gman

Postby Dave Hewitt » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:56 pm

gman wrote:Current Covid law on exercising outdoors for levels 3 & 4

Not long back in from having made good use of the current rules. Drove along from Stirling to Tillicoultry and parked in the five-miles-away street, then spent just under 6hr going over King's Seat, across to Tarmangie and out as far as Innerdownie before dropping to the Quey/Campbell pass and walking back via Dollar and the cycleway (saw a fox on the latter just as the light went). Innerdownie is five or six miles from where I parked so I probably did about as much as was feasible given the time of year, the squelchy ground and the 11am start.

Mostly dry overhead but a shower on the top bit of King's Seat and a much colder/sharper one, with sleet, while I was having lunch on Innerdownie and chatting with a bloke who had come up the eastern side. On getting started again I suddenly realised I was quite cold - didn't have masses of kit with me - but got warmed up reasonably quickly once a bit of height was lost. Innerdownie was my 300th Donald/Top of the year (297 of them in the Ochils); heaps more than I've ever done in a year before, and almost certainly more than I'll do in any future year, but these are unusual times.
Dave Hewitt
Mountaineer

Postby madprof » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:21 pm

As I understand it, it is illegal for me to enter Scotland from England under the current restrictions.

Does anyone think this could be lifted before Christmas? I realise none actually knows. Just wondering when, if st all, I should be thinking about cancelling my accommodation for a post-Xmas walking trip.
madprof
Mountaineer

Munros:60   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Walk wish-list

Postby Marty_JG » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:48 pm

I do not believe that to be precisely true, I would like some advice if I am wrong on this. People, be they based in England or Scotland are being asked not to travel between Scotland and England, however the two relevant local authority areas (Dumfries & Galloway on the west, Scottish Borders on the east) are each currently in Level 2 lockdown whilst only travel in/out of Level 3 and 4 is legally regulated.

Level 4 restrictions are due to end Dec 11 but one suspects down to Level 3 which will continue to legally restrict cross-country travel.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby gman » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:03 pm

Restrictions on entering Scotland
2.—(1) A person who lives in a place within the common travel area mentioned in paragraph 4 must not enter or remain in Scotland.

Places in respect of which restrictions in this schedule apply
4. The places are—

(a)England,
(b)Northern Ireland,
(c)Republic of Ireland,
(d)Wales.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ssi/2020/389/regulation/5/made
gman

Postby Marty_JG » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:18 pm

Thanks. Keeping up with this is a full time job and then some. :clap:
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Postby CharlesT » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:41 pm

Marty_JG wrote:Thanks. Keeping up with this is a full time job and then some. :clap:

Spare a thought for the poor souls who have to draft this stuff. :lol: I feel a Marx Brothers moment coming on...."...the party of the first part....etc etc"
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby Walkinmyfootsteps » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:06 pm

madprof wrote:As I understand it, it is illegal for me to enter Scotland from England under the current restrictions.

Does anyone think this could be lifted before Christmas? I realise none actually knows. Just wondering when, if st all, I should be thinking about cancelling my accommodation for a post-Xmas walking trip.

Head up on the 23rd Dec. That’s my intention. Two days to hit the hills and back for Christmas. I might even head back up Boxing Day.
Walkinmyfootsteps
Munro compleatist

Postby Marty_JG » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:35 pm

So, 23 to 27 Dec is currently "three households, one bubble" and suspending of the local authority area travel rules.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Postby madprof » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:55 pm

Walkinmyfootsteps wrote:Head up on the 23rd Dec. That’s my intention. Two days to hit the hills and back for Christmas. I might even head back up Boxing Day.

I'm literally booked from 27th and it's 560 miles for me so not so easy.

I just worry that the Scottish government are shutting the border for the rest of the year (apart from over Xmas) and I'm going to be stuck. Heck if it continues long into January andd February then that really is going to scrupper winter plans.

Some of the best moments of my life in the last 10 years have been in the Scottish hills in winter. Would be nice to get a few more in after this terrible year.
madprof
Mountaineer

Walk wish-list

Postby Sunset tripper » Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:58 am

The 4 nations Christmas plan is a total minefield.
It will be fine (limited households) to go visiting, eating and drinking.
The travel restrictions will no longer be law for anybody by the looks of it.

Regarding tier 3 and 4, using that days to go solo or social distanced hillwalking or other outdoorsy stuff instead of visiting, eating, drinking - not sure about that.

Looks like the guidance / advice will still be that's not acceptable but for that short window it will no longer be law. :?
Sunset tripper

Postby iain_atkinson_1986 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:19 pm

Sunset tripper wrote:The 4 nations Christmas plan is a total minefield.

I don't think as many people would die in a minefield as will due to the Xmas plan, tbh...
iain_atkinson_1986
Munro compleatist

Munros:83   Corbetts:216
Fionas:21   Donalds:16+9
Sub 2000:4   

Postby madprof » Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:40 am

Walkinmyfootsteps wrote:I work on site every day, well 6 days a week since this all began and have never been stopped and asked where I am going. The scottish administration can’t enforce it over that period anyway so fill your boots.

Is that possibly because ANPR cameras are seeing that you're from the same area?
madprof
Mountaineer

Walk wish-list

Postby EmmaKTunskeen » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:05 pm

madprof wrote:
I'm literally booked from 27th and it's 560 miles for me so not so easy.

Me too - and 23rd sounds as though the journey would be utterly horrendous. I think I'm going to be sitting with crampons on, staring at old photos at this rate, a tear rolling down my bereft cheek...
EmmaKTunskeen
Mountain Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:28
Fionas:12   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:50
Wainwrights:41   Islands:24

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion