walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Small Peak, Big Peak (Binneins Beag & Mor)

Small Peak, Big Peak (Binneins Beag & Mor)

Postby Alastair S » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:28 pm

Munros included on this walk: Binnein Beag, Binnein Mòr

Date walked: 21/08/2010

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 21 km

Ascent: 1745m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

20100821.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Kinlochleven-Bennein Beag-Bennein Mor-Kinlochleven profile.jpg

Day 1 of the Granite City Hillwalkers meet at Kinlockleven, but day 2 for me having done The Easains the day before. Weather dawned not nearly so bad as forecast with the odd patch of blue between heavy cloud. Breezy but not the predicted gales. Some peeps just wanted to do Sgurr Eilde Mor but I opted to join the other Alistair and head for the more distant Binnein Beag with Binnein Mor and perhaps Na Gruagaichean too (weather & tiredness permitting).

P1080965.JPG
Start point: Blackwater Hostel & Campsite

So 6 of us started from our hostel – the Blackwater Hostel (& Campsite) just behind the Ice Factor. Ended up getting our route out of Kinlochleven slightly wrong in that we went up the “wrong” side of one of the burns the feed into the village. Mind you the “proper” path is very erroded so the faint path to the south was just as easy as the marked path to the north. Got 15 minutes of rain on the way out but this turned out to be the only significant rain we got all day. We split at the land rover track that runs from the Mamore Lodge down to Loch Elide Mor.

Loch Leven from behind Kinlochleven

Coire an Lochain & Sgurr Eilde Mor

Binnein Mor from summit of Binnein Beag

The other Alistair viewing The Grey Corries from Binnein Beag

Binnein Mor & unnamed lochain from half way down Binnein Beag. The flickr page has notes that show the route we took up up Binnein Mor - which was up the ridge to the left (on flickr you have to hover the mouse over the picture to bring up notes)

From left to right: Sgurr Eilde Mor, Coire an Lochain & Sgor Eilde Beag from the East flank of Binnein Mor, with Blackwater reservoir in the distance. This picture also shows the large drop in altitude & the path from the lochain (you may need to visit the larger version on flickr to see the path)

Binnein Beag from Binnein Mor (you can see why they are called Small Peak & Big Peak!)

Binnein Mor summit with summit of Ben Nevis obscured by cloud on the left

Another of Binnein Beag from Binnein Mor, this time from the summit

Na Gruagaichen from Binnein Mor summit

Loking back at Binnein Mor summit from the top at the junction of the 3 ridges that make up Na Gruagaichen, Binnein Mor and Sgor Eilde Beag (another top of Binnein Mor). It was at this point that we were hit by what felt like 60mph winds. We both had difficulty standing up and decided that going along the ridge to Na Gruagaichen was best left for another day. 100m on and 10m down and the wind was just a strong breeze again. Its a wonder that I managed to get such level picture!

Coire an Lochain & Sgurr Eilde Mor from Sgor Eilde Beag. There is a good path that zig-zags down the SSE side of Sgor Eilde Beag that isn't shown on any map I've seen. This saves going round to the marked path from Coire an Lochain to half way between Sgor Eilde Beag & the 3 ridge top.

The way back showing the land rover track. Despite the ominous clouds we didn't get rained on :)

Evening over Loch Leven - wild camper in the lower left

Then down the very eroded path we aimed to take on the way up. More midges in the woods, but nearly so bad as the previous evening. So, the highest & the [almost] lowest of the Mamores. It may have only been 21km but 1745m of ascent is easily my highest 1 day tally and my legs & knees knew about it. Also my first Mamores and I was suitably impressed - bring on the Ring of Steall :D

BTW MWIS 0 : Alastair 2 (aggregate 0:4)

Full flickr set here
Last edited by Alastair S on Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Re: Small Peak, Big Peak (Binneins Beag & Mor)

Postby Stretch » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:34 pm

Great pics Alastair! I did the four eastern Mamores over the past 2 days and really enjoyed all of them. I didn't fancy going up Binnein Mor from the north and instead, opted to go back around to the path that zig zags up between Sgor Eilde Beag and Binnein Mor, well worth if if you're carrying a heavy pack loaded with wildcamping gear as you can simply drop the pack at the top and stroll over to the munro summit.
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby skuk007 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:04 pm

There's some great pictures there. Makes these peaks look extremely wild and challenging. Can't wait. :)
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby kinley » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:14 pm

Beautiful hills - great pictures.

Nice one Alastair 8)

A wild camp trip this way is on the to-do list :)
kinley

Postby mountain coward » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:51 am

Some superb pictures there - especially seeing as you went up an unusual ridge onto Binnein Mor and therefore got a new angle on things - what was that ridge like? (I can't get to Flickr anyway so can't look at your further pics or notes)... I went up onto the right hand ridge which was grassy, easy and straightforward (but then I'm a mountain coward) - I did look at the other 2 ridges though and wonder :D

I thought Binnein Beag was going to be terrifying as I hate steep scree but found it really lovely when I got there - may well do those 2 again (and I'm not saying that about many Munros!)

Just one small point - where you have a pic saying 'na Gruagaichean again...' it's actually a Binnein Mor pic :D
mountain coward

Postby Alastair S » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:40 am

Thanks for the kind comment peeps :D

mountain coward wrote:what was that ridge like? (I can't get to Flickr anyway so can't look at your further pics or notes)... I went up onto the right hand ridge which was grassy, easy and straightforward (but then I'm a mountain coward) - I did look at the other 2 ridges though and wonder :D

From the lochain between the Binneins we went across to the deep river gully the holds Allt a' Gharbh Choire, up beside this gully (fairly steep, grassy and not a problem), crossed over once we were above it, and then up the rocky ridge that curves round to the main south ridge, then up this south ridge to the top. There was a bit of clambering about on the rocky stuff but nothing scary - we kept to the coire side but its a quite broad ridge.

mountain coward wrote:Just one small point - where you have a pic saying 'na Gruagaichean again...' it's actually a Binnein Mor pic :D

Thanks -now fixed :)
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby Paul Webster » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:14 am

Stunning stuff - especially love the last of the pics of Sgurr Eilde Mor - magical light.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby gaffr » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:25 am

I think that many of these images capture the atmosphere of this dramatic area of the highlands. :)
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby mountain coward » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:45 am

Thanks for the info on that ridge - I'll give it a go next time :D
mountain coward

Postby Barnety2000 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:33 pm

Another excellent report on the eastern Mamores- they certainly seem to be popular at the moment! You didn't fancy the wild camp then... :D
Barnety2000
Stravaiging

Munros:128   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:4

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland