walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall Greigh, Meall Garbh & An Stuc

Meall Greigh, Meall Garbh & An Stuc

Postby Jockstar » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:53 am

Route description: Meall Greigh, Meall Garbh and An Stùc

Munros included on this walk: An Stùc, Meall Garbh (Ben Lawers), Meall Greigh

Date walked: 04/09/2010

Time taken: 9 hours

Distance: 16 km

Ascent: 1230m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Leaving at 6.30, I had the intention of getting to The lawyers hotel and setting off on this walk before anyone was about. So the plan started off well though the conditions weren't great with a lot of low cloud and mist but i still had a head start as i walked up by the farm and headed out towards Meall Greigh. :(
P9040004.JPG
heading towards Sron Mhor

The higher I climbed the worst the mist was and I had to resort to map and compass but given the weather forecast
of clearing and the sun coming out (Ha! Ha!) ploughed on and reched the carin after 2 hours.this would be the first
time of summitting Meall Greigh!
P9040005.JPG
at Meall Greigh (first time!)

So took another bearing and headed west to try and pick up the path on the way to Meall Garbh. Continuously taking my bearing every 15 mins due to the fact I couldn't see more than 20 yards ahead i was confident that i was headed in the same direction. Saw some walkers in the mist going to what I thought was them coming from Meall Garbh so cut across
and went in the opposite direction where I joind a path and carried on..and on ...the weather cleared for a bit and I saw
a right to left shoulder and thought that i was on the right way to meall Garbh. As I reached the summit there was a group of people already at the cairn. On getting chatting to these likeable and friendly people from Fife i quickly realised
that I had come back to Meall Greigh !!! i couldn't even figure out how I had managed it! a lesson in how to get into trouble (nearly) because my map reading is not up to scratch! :?
P9040017.JPG
at Meall Greigh (second time!)

I had 'lost' one and a half hours going round in a circle! Anyway I now had people to walk on with and they were really nice people, one of whom was a ML, one a minister,one a janitor, one the church organist and the other a tutor for distance learning courses, which coincentally is my bag. What a great walk we had and especiall with An Stuc to come much needed confidence to get up the 'scrambling' bit. I hadn't realised what was in store and wow! what a buzz!
So we all marched onto Meall Garbh and made good time to the cairn.
P9040022.JPG
Onto Meall Garbh

P1010024.JPG
Approaching Meall Garbh

From there we could see An Stuc and we made the top in 36 minutes from Meall Garbh.
P1010031.JPG
An Stuc from Meall Garbh

This was the first time of doing scrambling and the buzz was great. as there was a 73 year old gentleman who had just gone up in front of us with no bother so no room for excuses. The 2 ladies in our party also showed that this was no problem and once at the top it was brilliant! :D
P1010032.JPG
ladies leading the way

P1010034.JPG
Bod, Lyn & myself at the top of An Stuc

From there it was down the Bealach to Lochan nan Cat and we stopped on the side of the loch before making our way back to the lawyers for a beer. :D
P1010037.JPG
Lochan nan Cat

This was a big learning curve for myself but also a great walk with lovely people and some great sights of the hills (sometimes!) it has to be the 'best' yet but I know I know I have lots to come. it also mean't that because I had done 1 and a have hours more walking than the others I desrved another pint! :D
Jockstar
Munro compleatist

Munros:53   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Re: Meall Greigh, Meall Garbh & An Stuc

Postby Stretch » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:42 am

I found An Stuc to be a great confidence booster for a hillwalking newbie and I've since tackled much more difficult terrain. Well done on your day!
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Jockstar » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:35 pm

Cheer Stretch. It was great doing that climb but I'm new to this so its all a learning experience....but the buzz will keep me going for a while. Until Glencoe, I hope! :D
Jockstar
Munro compleatist

Postby skuk007 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:35 pm

Crickey you've gotta laugh, ending up at the same top! :lol: Have to invest in a GPS backup.

Always good to meet nice folk on the hills who don't mind a bit of company. Is there a path up through the scrambly bit of An Stuc? I know what you mean about the scrambling buzz - felt the same when going up Bidean nam Bian in Glencoe in May. Glad when it's over but certainly gets the adrenaline flowing.
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby Jockstar » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:30 pm

Yeh, I know, Doh!!! i'm putting it down to experience and came on tops on miles walked... :lol:
The path has recently had some work done on it so there is lots of loose stones and earth but is in good
condition. That said it's pretty steep and I wouldn't liketo attempt it in the winter. As quoted in the SMC
Hillwalkers monros book "It is definitely the hardest bit of the Ben Lawyers ridge". Still it does get the
juices flowing ! :D
Jockstar
Munro compleatist

Postby Bod » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:43 pm

Hey Jockstar, it's your pal Bod here, so glad we hooked up. Just as well you spent some time circum-navigating Meall Greigh, otherwise we might have never met! A spot of being temporarily-geographically-embaressed (lost) is always good for the soul...here's to the next time we venture out there?
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:51   Islands:25

Postby Jockstar » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:36 pm

cheers mate...look forward to getting together for another wee walk..hehe! :lol:
Jockstar
Munro compleatist

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland