walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Cycling paths in Wester Ross

Cycling paths in Wester Ross

Postby holtlynx » Mon May 04, 2009 8:36 pm

Does anyone know if the track from Poolewe into Fisherfield is at all passable by bike and if so how far? Grateful for any experience.
holtlynx

Re: Cycling paths in Wester Ross

Postby Paul Webster » Mon May 04, 2009 8:45 pm

It's cyclable to Kernsary and a bit further into the plantation; slightly stony in places but fine on a mountain bike.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby Can 0f Airy » Mon May 04, 2009 10:09 pm

I biked this route into Fisherfield (on my birthday) in July, two years ago. From Kernsary we took the track that heads NE to the Fionn Loch. There is a boathouse at the end of the track marked on the map as 'Bad Bog'. You gain a bit of height biking out here but the steep climb around the plantations beyond Kernsary pay off with the extensive views down the loch towards A Mhaighdean.
Once back to Kernsary we took the track to Loch Maree. We didn't descend all the way down to the loch but still had great views out the loch's islands.

The whole journey is on double-track landrover tracks. Easy enough on an mtb.
Can 0f Airy

Munros:197   Corbetts:13

Postby Can 0f Airy » Tue May 05, 2009 12:27 am

Actually, I'm wondering if you were thinking of heading a bit further, perhaps on the track heading SE towards the southern end of Fionn Loch.

Here's something that's been pretty useful for me recently. Geograph is a website where people submit photos for each square of the map. Type in the grid reference and view pictures taken with relevant information (camera position, direction etc). It is particularly useful in assessing whether a track might be bikeable. That particular path certainly looks interesting.

I know of (but don't own) Kenny Wilson's book 'Mountain Bike Scotland' which covers some very remote and challenging routes. There might be some routes into Fisherfield in there. If you're feeling brave you could also ask on singletrackworld.
Can 0f Airy

Munros:197   Corbetts:13

Postby holtlynx » Thu May 14, 2009 12:13 am

Grateful for all your thoughts and handy tips. Hope to head that way in June to do the F'field six.
holtlynx

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion