walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Chonzie from Loch Turret Dam

Ben Chonzie from Loch Turret Dam

Postby xpfloyd » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:10 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Chonzie

Date walked: 04/09/2010

Time taken: 5 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Yesterday I climbed Ben Chonzie starting from Loch Turret Dam. It was my girlfriends first munro.

We headed off just after 7am and were at the Dam car park by 8:45. Nice and easy to find this time so no repeat of last weeks fiasco. We chose Ben Chonzie as its supposed to be an easier one and we wanted to guage how fit/unfit Lynn was. With all the reports of this munro being boring etc from the otherside the Loch Turret direction seemed the obvious choice and we were not dissappointed.

It took us 3 hours up and 2.5 hours back down. This was slower than my usual pace but on the up side it prevented my knee injury from swelling up and ended up being my first munro that I havent been limping on the descent.

The weather forecast said it would be dry and party cloudy but there was alot of rolling mist about.

IMG_0969.JPG
Looking back towards the dam

IMG_0970.JPG
Our first glimpse of Ben Chonzie

IMG_0972.JPG
Some local inhabitants

The walk up the lochside is quite straightforward and once you reach the end you continue on the same path until you reach what looks like a concrete garage base beside an upper pool.

IMG_0976.JPG
End of first path

The path now splits right and left. We decided to take the right hand route and up onto the ridge with the aim of returning on the left hand route.

IMG_0981.JPG
Part way up right hand route

At some points of the ascent the path was very unclear and we found ourselves heading in the general direction but making our own path. Every so often you would rejoin a faint path and then lose it again but we were soon at the summit without too much drama. Unfortunately it was a total whiteout :)

IMG_0985.JPG
Lynn at summit

IMG_0988.JPG
Customary flag shot

On the way back down we attempted to come down what would have been the left hand route but could not find the path at the top so instead we took a sort of direct approach towards the garage base in the distance and made our own descent route. It was actually quite good fun being off the beaten track as it were.

So was Ben Chonzie boring ?? - Not at all. It was a nice walk up the Loch and the ascent/descent were interesting too. On top of that we spotted 2 hares, 3 frogs, lots of Grouse, sheep (dead and alive), and this little guy -

IMG_0992.JPG
Friendly Highland Cow

All in all a good day out and good for Lynn to get her first munro under the belt. Roll on the next one :D

Eddie
xpfloyd
Munro compleatist

Munros:105   

Re: Ben Chonzie from Loch Turret Dam

Postby skuk007 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:48 pm

Well done on your girlfriends first Munro, hopefully the non existent views in the mist wont put her off the rest.
Bit close to the coo at the end, or have you got a super-zoom? :lol:
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby xpfloyd » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:59 pm

They were actually lining the single track road leaving the dam car park. I had to slow down to crawling pace so as not to startle that one but it wasnt phased by the car so I took a photo of it from the open car window.

A few more pics of them -

IMG_0993.JPG

IMG_0994.JPG
xpfloyd
Munro compleatist

Postby Jockstar » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:04 pm

I agree that the walk from the loch turret reservoir end is cool and saw some good views of glen almond once you headed
around the 'corner'. Unlucky with the weather. I had a fine day and also, like you, saw plenty wildlife -butterflies , toads, eagles and 2 young dear and and an older buck. An interesting walk back and better than going back via the south side of the reservoir as its very boggy and loads of peat bogs. Well done to the lady...what next now? :)
Jockstar
Munro compleatist

Munros:53   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby xpfloyd » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:15 pm

Sitting here just now with my smc Munro book and this website trying to plan what one to do next Saturday. Thinking Ben ime and beinn narnain but unsure if it's too much of a step up from chonzie for Lynn. I think she will be fine though, and worst case scenario we call it a day after the first one.
xpfloyd
Munro compleatist

Postby nathan79 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:07 am

xpfloyd wrote:They were actually lining the single track road leaving the dam car park. I had to slow down to crawling pace so as not to startle that one but it wasnt phased by the car so I took a photo of it from the open car window.

I was up Loch Turret Last Monday, those coo's must've made the road their new home!I had to drive half on the grass to get round a couple of them were unconcerned with making way for me. They seem quite placid though.
nathan79
Hill Bagger

Munros:103   Corbetts:29
Fionas:13   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:16   Islands:7

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland