walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Waterproof overtrousers?

Re: Waterproof overtrousers?

Postby simon-b » Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:55 pm

I've used Berghaus Deluge and Berhaus Helvelln overtrousers. Both did the job but the Helvellyns are definitely better, both in performance and durability. It looks like Bergahaus have replaced the Helvellyns with a model called Hillwalker Overtrousers in their range. They look around the same price as Paclites but should be more durable in demanding mountain conditions.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby matt_outandabout » Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:50 pm

5 of us have Berghaus Deluge's (cheaper, heavier, warmer, sweatier slightly, flappier) or Berghaus Paclite's (lighter, old ones are better cut, less flappy, less warm). You pay's your money and take a pick.

Having had much more expensive things in the past from Patagonia, ME and Montane I struggle with paying much as the all end up ripped, all are sweaty, all have been black with zips. Modern fabric is so much better - back when I had my (brilliant) Patagonia GoreTex ones, the fabric waterproofing, cut and few great features (in-built gaiters, braces you could put on or off without removing jacket) mean they were just way better than anything else. That is not the case now, and I could not justify £350+ for Patagucci now.
matt_outandabout
Wanderer

Munros:81   Corbetts:29
Fionas:22   Donalds:26
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:191
Wainwrights:176   Islands:28

Postby lexyz22 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:42 pm

Berghaus' offerings are pretty good, but to be honest, when i've been wild camping, trekking round scotland and wales, Helvellyn's do the job for me.

That being said, i've also heard good things about some of the walking trousers by Patagonia and i think Jack Wolfskin are working on some new designs too.
lexyz22
Mountaineer

Walk wish-list

Postby staggie34 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:07 pm

I've given up with overtrousers as they're are really expensive to get a decent pair with a good fit and long leg (i'm 34ins leg).
I now use Regatta Dayhike III trousers which are an all in one waterproof breathable trouser but have loops for a proper belt. The fit is excellent and they work so well. In the winter I use Paramo cascada.
staggie34
Munro compleatist

Munros:32   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:104
Wainwrights:73   Islands:3

Postby Grievesy » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:10 pm

Army surplus goretex trousers fornmuch cheapness on Ebay. Almost full length zip. Very tough as long as you aren't a fashion victim you're fine.
Grievesy
Scrambler

Munros:5   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:4   

Postby regedmunds » Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:11 pm

I hate waterproof trousers with a passion, such a faff, on-off, on-off etc.

I use a rain skirt from Amazon, £10 when I bought it. Goes on an off in 5 seconds and when off its just stuffed into the gap between my Osprey rucksack and the back material.

To work at its best I always wear my Rab waterproof gaiters.
regedmunds

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk