walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Gleouraich and Spidean Mialach

Gleouraich and Spidean Mialach

Postby Les Stuart » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:28 pm

Route description: Gleouraich and Spidean Mialach

Munros included on this walk: Gleouraich, Spidean Mialach

Date walked: 31/08/2010

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 1150m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The day before I had walked the two Munros in Glenfinnan then drove by car to Invergarry to stay overnight at a B&B. After having a good breakfast I drove for several miles west before turning left to pick up the single track road to take me to the north side of Loch Quoich and about 5km past the dam. From there I picked up the stalkers path which took me up the steep slope to about the 850m height where it leveled off and managed to get a breather before tackling the last steep slope to the summit of Gleouraich.
IMG_4740_edited-1.jpg
Loch Quoich

IMG_4741_edited-1.jpg
Sgurr a' Mhaoraich

IMG_4742_edited-1.jpg
South Glen Shiel Ridge

IMG_4743_edited-1.jpg
Looking South

IMG_4745_edited-1.jpg
Gleouraich

IMG_4746_edited-1.jpg
The Summit looking north

Again it was a hot day though there was a chill in the air on the summit ridge and this made it more comfortable to walk and enjoy the views. Had lunch, relaxed then set off east along the ridge to Spidean Mialach which looked nearer than it actually was. There was several steep up and downs along the way and deep corries though the views were excellent in all directions.
I had been walking two weeks previous in Glen Shiel so picked out the western end of the South Shiel Ridge and The Saddle which I had done on that visit.
IMG_4747_edited-1.jpg

IMG_4748_edited-1.jpg

IMG_4749_edited-1.jpg
Looking West to Spidean Mialach

IMG_4751_edited-1.jpg
Spidean Mialach

IMG_4752_edited-1.jpg
The Summit looking North

IMG_4753_edited-1.jpg
Looking West

IMG_4754_edited-1.jpg
Loch Fearna and Loch Quoich

Reached the summit of Spidean Mialach and again had food and refreshments in the sheltered cairn looking north at the whole of the South Shiel Ridge before setting off south west then south east to take me back to the road, then along to the start point. Just after leaving the summit I met my first and only walker of the day or I should say fell runner as he was only doing Spidean Mialach.
Another good day out in great conditions, though on writing this it looks as if the weather is changing for the worse.
Les Stuart

Munros:226   Corbetts:6

Re: Gleouraich and Spidean Mialach

Postby HighlandSC » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:50 am

Good stuff Les, some fantastic views there. I've got this walk lined up for next time I'm in that area.
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Postby skuk007 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:23 pm

Nice report Les. The views from the tops look pretty good in your pictures.
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby monty » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:03 pm

Hi Les,
Love the picture of Loch Quoich. There was a bit of mist about when I done these. Its nice to see them in the open. Did you spot the memorial at the 800m point?
monty

Postby trickeyja » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:25 am

Wow, that first photo is exceedingly beautiful - great report :D
trickeyja
Munro compleatist

Postby Les Stuart » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:41 pm

HighlandSC wrote:Good stuff Les, some fantastic views there. I've got this walk lined up for next time I'm in that area.

If you get reasonable weather you will enjoy the walk.Great views.
Les Stuart

Postby Les Stuart » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:42 pm

monty wrote:Hi Les,
Love the picture of Loch Quoich. There was a bit of mist about when I done these. Its nice to see them in the open. Did you spot the memorial at the 800m point?

Hi Monty
I must confess i did not. I will use the excuse that I was looking at all the good views that I had on the day.
Les Stuart

Postby Les Stuart » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:44 pm

skuk007 wrote:Nice report Les. The views from the tops look pretty good in your pictures.

Yes it was a good day for views.
Les Stuart

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland