walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Merrick 05.09.10

The Merrick 05.09.10

Postby jbaileyboy » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:37 pm

Route description: The Merrick, from Loch Trool

Corbetts included on this walk: Merrick

Donalds included on this walk: Merrick

Date walked: 05/09/2010

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 875m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Good sunny Sunday morning for walking. Started of from Bruce's Stone following the walkers path all the way past Benyellary and onto The Merrick.
Bruces Stone.JPG
Bruce's Stone

Glen Trool.JPG
Looking West along Glen Trool

Glen Trool 2.JPG
Looking East along Glen Trool

Past some campers who had used the bothy at Culsharg overnight.
Culsharg Bothy.JPG
Campers at the Bothy

Got pretty windy as I approached the wall at Benyellary. Time for windstopper to go on and for a break hiding behind the wall.
All the way up the top of Benyellary and The Merrick where hidden by cloud. As I approached the top of Benyellery the cloud cleared but the wind was still blowing low cloud up the Scars of Benyellary and over the Neive of the Spit. It was a strange feeling walking along the Neive of the Spit as the cloud arched overhead forming a long tunnel to walk through. As you walked through the tunnel formed by the cloud there was not a sound of wind which could clearly be seen overhead. Once through the Neive the sound and force of the wind battered you again.
Going up the Broads of the Merrick I was hoping the Sun would burn through the clouds and give me a clear summit on The Merrick. My luck was in.
The Merrick Summit Cairn.JPG
At the top.

The Mullwarcher with Corserine in background.JPG
The Mullwarcher with Corserine in background.

Clear summit with good views over the hills and lochs. Was very windy up top and I was struggling to keep my balance as I tried to get a few photos. After a brief stop it was time to make my way down back to the car. Another good Sunday walk before going back to boring work.
Benyellary and The Merrick.JPG
Benyellary and The Merrick
jbaileyboy
Munro compleatist

Munros:38   Corbetts:6
Donalds:6
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:4   Islands:10

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland