walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Memories of St Kilda - a glimpse into the Stone Age

Memories of St Kilda - a glimpse into the Stone Age

by Anne C » Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:35 pm

Route description: Conachair and Village Bay, St Kilda

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Conachair (Hirta)

Date walked: 09/06/2018

Time taken: 11 hours

Distance: 6 km

Ascent: 459m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Memories of St Kilda - a glimpse into the Stone Age

Postby Anne C » Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:35 pm

wildmountaintimes wrote:Tremendous stuff.

Great to hear you enjoyed the report wildmountaintimes - thank you!
Anne C
Walker

Munros:142   Corbetts:30
Fionas:34   Donalds:29
Sub 2000:48   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:57

Postby JohnBSnr » Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:34 am

Great report Anne. I’ve always wanted to visit and have booked a 4-night camping trip on 3-7 May 2021. Hopefully it will not be cancelled due to COVID-19.
JohnBSnr
Mountain Walker

Munros:215   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:8   
Islands:7

Postby Anne C » Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:34 pm

John - thank you. That's quite a trip you have planned, I really hope it goes ahead! You'll need to post a report. There must be so much more to discover on St Kilda, especially over the northern end.
Anne C
Walker

Postby Sgurr » Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:36 pm

A great reminder (and so well written) of a trip we too have done. We too went with Sea Harris, but were lucky enough to get there the first year of trying. We met some people wandering round Harris one year whose third year (6 attempts) had just been cancelled. The St. Kilda sea stacks are the reason why my total of sub 2000 hills will never get bigger than 569 (unless they re-measure something else). There are some brave people who have climbed them, but I never will.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Sunset tripper » Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:09 pm

Sgurr wrote:A great reminder (and so well written) of a trip we too have done. We too went with Sea Harris, but were lucky enough to get there the first year of trying. We met some people wandering round Harris one year whose third year (6 attempts) had just been cancelled. The St. Kilda sea stacks are the reason why my total of sub 2000 hills will never get bigger than 569 (unless they re-measure something else). There are some brave people who have climbed them, but I never will.

I just had a look at your sub 2k map and an amazing achievement including so many remote islands also. There is one thing I don't get. It says you have done 569 out of 573 but it also shows 5 red balloons at St. Kilda. :?

Is doesn't add up. Is that some sort of glitch with the map or am I being daft and missing something? - entirely possible. :D
Sunset tripper

Postby Anne C » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:34 am

Sgurr wrote:A great reminder (and so well written) of a trip we too have done. We too went with Sea Harris, but were lucky enough to get there the first year of trying. We met some people wandering round Harris one year whose third year (6 attempts) had just been cancelled. The St. Kilda sea stacks are the reason why my total of sub 2000 hills will never get bigger than 569 (unless they re-measure something else). There are some brave people who have climbed them, but I never will.

Thanks Sgurr, good to hear you enjoyed the report. Yes , still lucky to get out on the 2nd attempt! Have never seen photos of anyone climbing the sea stacks, must google that and see what comes up, if anything. They look quite impossible even from the point of getting onto the rock initially from a boat! :shock:

Your tally of sub 2000s is terrific! :clap:
Anne C
Walker

12 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland