walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Re: 2021

Postby mproudfoot » Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:46 pm

An unashamed bagger since 2014 (with 3 years out due to living overseas) I was surprised to hit up 42 munros (plus another 19 hills - Corbetts, Grahams and Donalds) in 2020, without breaking any of the restrictions, taking me to 186 munros in total. I had planned to take the remaining ones at a relaxed pace (maybe over 3 years) - with around 32 a year - those include most of the cuillin and the remote ones like the Fisherfield lot, Knoydart and the long walk-in/out ones around the Cairngorms, so i figured that was a reasonable target.

Now, with the way 2021 has started (lockdown just announced - so at least Jan is a write-off, and I suspect quite a bit longer than that), I'm not so sure what will be achievable this year. May revise my target down to try and hit at least a 200 munro total, with any more than that being a bonus. I also started mountain biking last year, which I enjoyed (live in Argyll & Bute so there's decent routes around) so I'll likely pick that up again when it's less icy. Until then I may need to keep myself active with something I've never enjoyed - running >.<
mproudfoot
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:201
Fionas:22   Donalds:28+11
Sub 2000:6   
Islands:10

Postby AJ01 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:15 pm

My aim for this year is to get up another Munro (or several) as the last one that I did was in 2008. I've been working on regaining my fitness as much as I can in the current restricted circumstances, but there's nothing like going up mountains to get fit for going up mountains. I've got 61 Munros left to do, and I'm already a bit long in the tooth, so I need to get them done as soon as I possibly can. I'll give it the best shot that I can.
AJ01

Munros:221   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   

Postby jupe1407 » Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:22 am

My list of over-ambition-liable-to-end-in-complete-failure for 2021:
- Finish the munros. I have 43 to go, but a lot of them are in "good" groupings. Eg Mullardoch round (2-3 day backpack), Fisherfield, Rough bounds, a few on Skye.
- Cycle 5000 miles
- Run 500 miles
- Camp on A'Mhaighdean

Away from outdoorsy/fitness nonsense, and far more importantly:
Take my Dad to the football once restrictions lift. He is recovering from bowel cancer and I think it's given me a major jolt. You go through life never considering that your parents are in fact mortal, and that happens to remind you of reality. So yeah, it's something we haven't done as father and son for many years, partly through laziness and partly because we're Dundee fans and it's frankly murder. He certainly won't be there for my final munro, not because of health reasons, but because he's shit-scared of heights and hates hills :lol:
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Postby Jon and Jen » Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:52 am

Not being able to get further than the Sidlaws is honestly taking a toll on me now. 2020 has been the toughest year of my life so far and not just due to lockdowns. May to June I will be walking the Scottish National Trail. After that, Scotland will feel my boots as often as I can manage.
Jon and Jen
Mountain Walker

Munros:37   Corbetts:7
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:7   

Postby Giant Stoneater » Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:33 am

With February approaching and another month of lockdown being considered and under 50s not being vaccinated till about the end of April all my plans are for later in the year,July onwards.Hopefully things will improve and I might be able to put a dent in my final 30 Munros. The coastal paths around Carnoustie are being well worn out by my constant plodding on them, still every day is different,weather changes,meet different folk,always something to make you smile, well i could be in a worse situation.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby mynthdd2 » Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:43 pm

There are so many positives here mingled with more than a tinge of sadness for what might have been

We can see these crappy times through Team Walkhighlands.....
mynthdd2
Munro compleatist

Islands:34

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion