walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A visit to Rum.

A visit to Rum.

Postby gaffr » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:38 am

Corbetts included on this walk: Ainshval, Askival

Date walked: 04/09/2010

Distance: 24 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Arrived p.m. at Kinloch and with the midges in biting mood I booked into the hostel for the night. Checked out the approach path to the hills and made contact with three highland gentlemen from the mainland who were working on improvements to the water supply to Kinloch. I think that it was Malky who said that he has a connection with this project.....anyway it appears to be in good hands. I wandered above the 300 mtrs, where the folks were working, to see what happened to the path in the upper corrie. Some shearwater holes were visible as were the rodent traps placed and tethered in the vicinity. Mountain nesting seabirds and high level rodents...what a mix up here.
1 Askival  ridge from the Hallival bealach HPIM4658.jpg
2 Looking back tom Hallival from Askival HPIM4661.jpg
The seabird holes were near to the bealach left of Hallival.
3 The southern tops from Askival HPIM4660.jpg
The descent to Bealach an Oir being buffeted by the wind I found not very enjoyable and with rain threatening I decided to make my way down to Dibidil for the night.
4 The fine refuge with Gillean behind HPIM4666.jpg
Reached the refuge before the rain came in squally showers throughout the evening and overnight...it fairly rattles off the tin roof sheeting!
5 One of the occasional shafts of sunlight near to Dibidal HPIM4670.jpg
With the camping kit left in the Bothy I set off the next morning with much lighter tread for the Southern tops of Rum.
6 The refuge from the slopes of Sgurr nan Gillean HPIM4688.jpg
A fairly remote and windswept area of the island.
7 HPIM4686.jpg
Not too many flowering plants.
8 The three main tops from the unnamed .759 HPIM4676.jpg
9 The ridge to .759 from Ainshval HPIM4683.jpg
The rocks were fairly greasy after the rainfall.
10 Trollaval from Ainshval HPIM4681.jpg
11 Leaving Dibidal on the path back to Kinloch HPIM4703.jpg
Spent a second night at the refuge then returned to Kinloch along the coastal path on Monday morning.
12 many of the familiar Skye tops from the path to Kinloch HPIM4707.jpg
A wee shelter at the Kinloch camping HPIM4713.jpg
Showers are available at the camping at Kinloch.....would safely say that they are the best anywhere...and with shelter for cooking lunch...I could now rejoin the cleaner folks on the ferry back to Mallaig. There is a system of honesty payments for camp and shower use here!
Last edited by gaffr on Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Re: A visit to Rum.

Postby trickeyja » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:45 am

Excellent report - brings memories back! Sounds like you had to make a quick descent because of incoming rain too. Fantastic light on your morning photo, really scenic. I agree with you - the showers are absolutely fantastic (something I commented on) - especially the one on the left! :lol:
trickeyja
Munro compleatist

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland