walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Lightweight trekking tent?

Lightweight trekking tent?

Postby Grievesy » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:22 pm

Troops, how are you.

I currently own a Vango blade 100 & banshee 300, used the blade on the three lochs way in 2020 and it is a great tent but I was thinking about being able to shed some weight for the longer distance treks I plan on 2021 (hadrians wall for a start)

Ideally a large 1 man tent or 2 man tent.
Side opening
Good mm rating
Dark green for wild camp.
Under 1.5kg.
Decent vestibule area for 65l rucksack (not much need if 2 man tent)
Ideally able to sit up in it (I'm 6'2)
2-3 season
<£200

Was looking at a lanshan tent, but as you need your own trek pole (I use a wooden one) so dont think it would suit as not adjustable.

Anyone know a tent that fits this criteria or am I expecting too much? Seen the MSR elixir 1 which ticked off everything but quite a poor mm rating. We live in Scotland after all..

Thoughts on a postcard please!.
Grievesy
Scrambler

Munros:5   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:4   

Re: Lightweight trekking tent?

Postby davekeiller » Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:13 pm

Possibly not the answer you're looking for, but if you're happy with your existing tent, could you save weight by replacing some components?
You can probably save 5-10g per peg by replacing the pegs with lighter weight ones. You might be able to do similar with the poles. You may also be able to save a bit of weight by replacing guy lines with shorter ones with smaller diameter.

It probably won't be a huge difference, but 1-200g reduction in weight might be achievable for less than £50.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby Marty_JG » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:00 pm

Grievesy wrote:Was looking at a lanshan tent, but as you need your own trek pole

People who do not use hiking poles purchase carbon-fibre poles separately. You can get them from Aliexpress at the same time you buy the tent, they don't cost much. Price for these are £48 for two poles but you might check around for bargains.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32897533413.html

Naturehike don't seem to have very many 1.5 kg options with side doors in dark green, you'd have to compromise on at least one of those features.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby SteveNorthumberland » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:16 pm

Another option and one I have used is find a tent you like ie terra nova etc and then keep an eye out on eBay for one, I got a very good deal on a virtually unused terra nova photon 1 which has lots of room enough for me and all my gear and packed total weight is 882g.
SteveNorthumberland
Backpacker

Islands:12

Postby Grievesy » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:08 pm

Cheers troops

I am hoping to shed more than a few hundred grams so I'm going to buy a lanshan 1 pro and take up Marty's idea of the carbon poles.

Thanks all.
Grievesy
Scrambler

Munros:5   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:4   

Postby Marty_JG » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:54 am

As you won't need 2 poles, you can get a Six Moons Designs single 49" pole for 50 grams.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Postby WalkWithWallace » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:12 am

Grievesy wrote:Cheers troops

I am hoping to shed more than a few hundred grams so I'm going to buy a lanshan 1 pro and take up Marty's idea of the carbon poles.

Thanks all.

I have the Lanshan Pro 1 and really like it. One caveat is the carbon pole is flexible and you get a lot of movement in winds as light as 10-15mph. Doesn't make for a pleasant evening to be honest. I would also use something like a lid at the bottom of the carbon pole to prevent it sinking into the earth.

If your wooden walking stick is 125cm in height, I'd be tempted to use that instead.
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:192
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby AyrshireAlps » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:39 am

People who do not use hiking poles purchase carbon-fibre poles separately. You can get them from Aliexpress at the same time you buy the tent, they don't cost much. Price for these are £48 for two poles but you might check around for bargains.

Lomo (Glasgow based) sell carbon poles for £45 (or £65 for the even lighter running poles that I use walking, which pack down really small!)

https://www.lomo.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh000088.pl?WD=poles&PN=Carbon%2Dwalking%2Dpoles%2Ehtml#SID=50

You could buy a pair and sell one no probs.

I've a Lanshan pro 2 and its brilliant, really well made and pishes all over lots of far, far more expensive tents.
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Postby Marty_JG » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:50 am

You can also import trekking poles from Aliexpress as a single pole, just over £16 including shipping.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000903481583.html
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk