walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Off the leash on the Beinn Dearg 4.

Off the leash on the Beinn Dearg 4.

Postby mamoset » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:21 pm

Route description: Beinn Dearg - the Four Munros circuit

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Dearg (Ullapool), Cona' Mheall, Eididh nan Clach Geala, Meall nan Ceapraichean

Date walked: 31/07/2020

Time taken: 11.3 hours

Distance: 27 km

Ascent: 1600m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Finally able to cross the border, our preferred mountain to tackle was An Teallach. Unfortunately, as the date approached, so did a strong wind. Fortunately, there are enough mountains left to visit, and the Beinn Dearg group of Munros was a fitting Plan B. The drive took a bit longer than anticipated, having set off at 9:00PM but we eventually left the car at 5:45AM near Inverlael Bridge. A good path leads through the forest, alongside River Lael, eventually coming out into Gleann na Squaib.
P1040311.JPG
Down Gleann na Squaib.
P1040313.JPG
Eas Fionn waterfall.
The wind was fairly strong blowing down the Glen and it came as a bit of a relief to leave it and head left, leading up to Lochan a' Chnapaich. After a short stop, we made our way up to the ridge and on to Eididh nan Clach Geala.
P1040318.JPG
Moody looking An Teallach from EnCG ridge.
P1040321.JPG
Meall nan Ceapraichean & Beinn Dearg.
There was extensive views from here, though the summer haze stopped it being as clear as we would have liked.
P1040331.JPG
Distant Assynt hills.
P1040352.JPG
Seana Bhraigh.
P1040353.JPG
Eididh nan Clach Geala summit.
Headed down to the bealach on a good path, before ascending Meall nan Ceapraichean.
P1040358.JPG
The bealach.
P1040360.JPG
Not a bad lunch spot.
Met 3 walkers here who had wild camped in awful weather so it seems we picked the right day. :lol:
P1040365.JPG
Cona' Mheall & Beinn Dearg.
P1040377.JPG
Meall nan Ceapraichean summit.
Not much to hang around on the summit for, so made for our next break spot which was at the wall near Lochan Uaine.
P1040381.JPG
Lochan Uaine & Beinn Dearg.
P1040383.JPG
Cona' Mheall.
We ditched the bags here, as Cona' Mheall is an out and back walk; it's nice to lose the load sometimes :clap:
P1040396.JPG
Loch Prille & waterfall.
P1040397.JPG
Cona' Mheall summit.
P1040399.JPG
Seana Bhraigh & Creag an Duine from Cona' Mheall.
From CM, I was surprised to see what a big mountain Beinn Dearg actually is, stretching off in all directions.
P1040402.JPG
Beinn Dearg towering over Meall nan Ceapraichean.
P1040403.JPG
Loch a' Choire Ghranda.
We had noticed a few walkers coming down from BD, but as we started the ascent, it was like the floodgates opened. :lol: We were expecting this area to be relatively quiet, but it seems so many others had the same thought :shock: Anyway, it was an easy ascent, following the wall, to finally reach the 4th and last Munro of the day.
P1040413.JPG
Beinn Dearg summit.
P1040419.JPG
The long ridge down off Beinn Dearg.
Sat atop BD for a while, taking in the views & enjoying the warmth. Rather than retrace our steps, we had already decided to follow the long ridge of BD over Meall Breac & Creag-na-h-Iolaire, to reach the track and the beginning of the forest, which would then lead us back to the car.
P1040423.JPG
Looking back to Beinn Dearg.
P1040422.JPG
Eididh nan Clach Geala to Meall nan Ceapraichean.
We had a room booked at Aultguish Inn, but upon arrival, we decided a refreshing beer took precedence over sorting our digs out :lol: A really great day out and we're already looking forward to coming back up this way again.
mamoset
Mountain Walker

Munros:256   Corbetts:6
Donalds:1
Hewitts:115
Wainwrights:214   Islands:5

Re: Off the leash on the Beinn Dearg 4.

Postby Grisu » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:00 am

Interesting route! I did the four munros two weeks later but - as I would say - the usual round - on a very hot summer day and I was wondering about the stunning long wall.
Thanks for your report! :clap: It brings back nice memories and reminds me to write my report :wink:
Grisu
Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:27   

Postby mamoset » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:09 pm

Grisu wrote:Interesting route! I did the four munros two weeks later but - as I would say - the usual round - on a very hot summer day and I was wondering about the stunning long wall.
Thanks for your report! :clap: It brings back nice memories and reminds me to write my report :wink:

Hi Grisu
We took the route we did just to make it more of a "round" though it was a looong walk off Beinn Dearg after such a long day :lol: :lol: :lol:
mamoset
Mountain Walker

Munros:256   Corbetts:6
Donalds:1
Hewitts:115
Wainwrights:214   Islands:5

Postby Grisu » Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:58 pm

I can imagine but the other route over EnCG was very looong too as are alomst all walks in this area
Cheers
Grisu
Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:27   

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland