walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Carn an Fhreiceadain in lockdown, snow and sun

Carn an Fhreiceadain in lockdown, snow and sun

Postby gld73 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:28 pm

Route description: Càrn an Fhreiceadain from Kingussie

Corbetts included on this walk: Càrn an Fhreiceadain

Date walked: 12/01/2021

Time taken: 4.6 hours

Distance: 18 km

Ascent: 682m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Although legally it seems (currently!) I could still travel anywhere in the Highland council area to exercise, I'm more inclined to stick to the guidance not to travel far and not to do anything risky in terms of terrain or navigation. Kingussie is a good place for lockdown exercise, especially with this straightforward corbett easily walkable from the town centre, meaning no additional travel at all as I'd been working there - finished the overnight on-call part of my shift in the morning then just did the walk from the hotel before heading home. In summer it can be done in trainers as it's on a track all the way, but today it was snow underfoot, though still lovely and sunny and very little wind. Nothing really to say about the route, I did the circular route as on WalkHighlands, same as I've done a couple of times before - the track obscured by snow on some short stretches on the way up (but it just meant I went more directly on some short bits rather than seeing the zig zag to follow). Probably the most mountain hares I've ever seen on one walk, dozens, all in their winter coats, though too fast to get any decent photos of by the time I'd taken my gloves off. No human footprints in the shallow fresh layer of snow which fell yesterday, but hare prints everywhere on the hill.
First summit of the year; I suspect there won't be too many more in the immediate future ... and any I do manage will be local repeats rather than travelling afar to tick off new ones. Still, can't complain, lockdown won't last forever!
APDC7999.JPG
Carn an Fhreiceadain summit

APDC8001.JPG
View towards the Monadhliath munros from the nearby tall cairn - think it's A' Chailleach in centre shot?

APDC8003.JPG
mountain hare pawprints were all over the hill

APDC8005.JPG
..they obviously like the easy run of the landrover track too, when there are no humans using it

APDC8006.JPG
Looking back up the descent route, the landrover track is obvious
gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland