walkhighlands

Long-running quiz threads, photo competitions and post-a-photo threads. Please keep them here to keep the General Discussion board tidy.

Can I have a "P" please Bob - Scotland (2nd edition)

Re: Can I have a "P" please Bob - Scotland (2nd edition)

Postby rohan » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:52 pm

JK succeeded and this led to better times whereas for DS and JM there was no good outcome.
rohan

Postby rohan » Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:11 pm

rohan wrote:JK succeeded and this led to better times whereas for DS and JM there was no good outcome.

Apologies, I tried to edit the above but was too late. It should read as follows

JK succeeded and this led to better times for many. For DS it was not decided but was favourable to DS whereas for JM there was no good outcome
rohan

Postby rohan » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:04 pm

In this respect Scotland was well ahead of England.
rohan

Postby RICHARDCFF » Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:28 am

Could this be about slavery cases that came before the Court of Session in 18th century Scotland?
Joseph Knight: successful in being freed from slavery
David Spens: gained freedom before the case could be decided by the court due to the death of his supposed 'owner'
Jamie Montgomery: died in Edinburgh Tolbooth before the case was decided
RICHARDCFF
Mountain Walker

Munros:280   Corbetts:34
Fionas:4   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:15

Postby rohan » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:35 am

RICHARDCFF wrote:Could this be about slavery cases that came before the Court of Session in 18th century Scotland?
Joseph Knight: successful in being freed from slavery
David Spens: gained freedom before the case could be decided by the court due to the death of his supposed 'owner'
Jamie Montgomery: died in Edinburgh Tolbooth before the case was decided

Correct. Joseph Knight's case went to the Court of Session where his case was represented by Henry Dundas amongst others and led to the declaration by Sherriff John Swinton that slavery was not recognised in Scotland and therefore illegal, Henry Dundas went on to become a controversial figure in the abolition of the slave trade in the British Empire, arguing in the UK parliament that it should be a gradual process. It wasn't until 1833 that the Abolition of Slavery Act that abolished the slave trade across the British Empire.

Over to you!
rohan

Postby RICHARDCFF » Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:27 am

MB's progeny met M in LM
RICHARDCFF
Mountain Walker

Postby RICHARDCFF » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:07 am

The resulting relationship proved difficult and lasted less than two weeks.
RICHARDCFF
Mountain Walker

Postby Sgurr » Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:03 pm

I know Matt Busby' son didn't like the way his father was portrayed in a film, but not sure of the ins and outs of it.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby RICHARDCFF » Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:08 pm

Not Matt Busby-related

MB's progeny (who was also TS's progeny) made use of the B in "K"
RICHARDCFF
Mountain Walker

Postby rohan » Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:23 pm

Sgurr wrote:I know Matt Busby' son didn't like the way his father was portrayed in a film, but not sure of the ins and outs of it.

I think that was a fictional film but not based on any real event .

Real life Matt Busby's "babes", the nickname for the Manchester United team he managed, qualified to play in the European Cup in 1958 . They were returning from a match in Yugoslavia when their plane crashed after refuelling at Munich killing a number of players, journalists and crew. I can't see any connection with the puzzle beyond Matt Busby's babes.
rohan

Postby RICHARDCFF » Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:10 pm

Recap followed by a picture clue.
MB's progeny met M in LM. The resulting relationship proved difficult and lasted less than two weeks. MB's progeny was also TS's progeny, and made use of the B in "K"

Thread picture 4_RCFF_New attempt.jpg
RICHARDCFF
Mountain Walker

Postby rohan » Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:59 pm

Margaret Balfour married Thomas Stevenson. Their only child was Robert Louis Stevenson who, against his father's wishes did not go into the family profession of lighthouse engineer. (but thankfully his cousin did ...another story!) He wanted to be a writer and an early work recounted his holiday with a donkey called Modestine. I am not sure where they met, somewhere in France LM I presume. RLS has his mother's name Balfour in his name and used it for David Balfour in Kidnapped. I really must get round to reading "Travels with a Donkey" .
rohan

Postby rohan » Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:15 pm

rohan wrote:Margaret Balfour married Thomas Stevenson. Their only child was Robert Louis Stevenson who, against his father's wishes did not go into the family profession of lighthouse engineer. (but thankfully his cousin did ...another story!) He wanted to be a writer and an early work recounted his holiday with a donkey called Modestine. I am not sure where they met, somewhere in France LM I presume. RLS has his mother's name Balfour in his name and used it for David Balfour in Kidnapped. I really must get round to reading "Travels with a Donkey" .

Just checked wikipedia and found Le Monastier. Your 4 picture clues are 1) RLS home in Edinburgh, 2) an illustration from kidnapped, 3) presumeably Le Monastier and f4)a donkey but not Modestine!
rohan

Postby RICHARDCFF » Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:35 am

Correct!
More specifically, picture 1 is Howard Place, RLS's birthplace, while picture 3 is just a general image of the Cevennes, the area through which RLS and Modestine walked.
I would thoroughly recommend "Travels With a Donkey in the Cevennes", a very early account of a long distance walk that is often humorous and always fascinating. The "Stevenson Trail" is definitely on my list of walks to be done in the future...

Your go!
RICHARDCFF
Mountain Walker

Postby rohan » Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:46 am

RICHARDCFF wrote:Correct!
More specifically, picture 1 is Howard Place, RLS's birthplace, while picture 3 is just a general image of the Cevennes, the area through which RLS and Modestine walked.
I would thoroughly recommend "Travels With a Donkey in the Cevennes", a very early account of a long distance walk that is often humorous and always fascinating. The "Stevenson Trail" is definitely on my list of walks to be done in the future...

Your go!

Now on my to do list as well, thanks. I would have kicked myself if I didn't get a Stevenson question but had been mulling around fictional characters in the Stevenson canon rather than his autobiographical writings.

How may CB, LL and BH be related.
rohan

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Photo threads, comps and quizzes