walkhighlands

To make the forum a bit more social... for new members (and old ones!) to introduce themselves to the site. You are welcome!

Postby BigGee » Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:52 pm

Hi everyone, been a member of the site for a while but never actually posted until today!

I'm looking for some advice as a novice who is looking to get in to walking with my 8 year old daughter.

After being "locked up" for almost a year, when the time comes I would love to get out and see some of what Scotland has to offer.

Would anyone be able to give some advice on some entry level/easier walks that I could do with my daughter to get feel for this and any do's/don'ts that would be beneficial.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :D
BigGee

Re: Newbie

Postby Sgurr » Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:11 pm

You don't say where you live. Even 8 year olds are going to object to driving for ever. One way of finding good entry level hills within reasonable driving distance from where you live is to click Bagging> Sub 2000s> Your Map and then click on the individual hills and read some reports. Some sub 2000s are boring, some almost impenetrable with forestry, but some are gems, just right for an 8 year old. Otherwise, just tell us where you live and we will do our best.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby BigGee » Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:30 pm

Hi Sgurr, that may have helped! :lol:

I'm from Cumbernauld, just outside Glasgow so hoping withing reasonable driving distance of nice walks. I'll also have a look at Bagging section you have mentioned too.

Thank you :D
BigGee

Postby SteveeMac » Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:15 am

Hi Gee, it's great you're looking to get out with your daughter, nothing better than seeing kids out getting fresh air and exercise like we used to when we were young before computers and technology!

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/glasgow/

Your area has tons of walks to browse here, enjoy!
SteveeMac
Mountaineer

Munros:50   Corbetts:3
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:8   
Walk wish-list

Postby BigGee » Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:18 am

Hi Stevee,

Thanks for that! Will definitely have a look at this :D.

Much appreciated.
BigGee

Postby Sgurr » Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:03 pm

Once lockdown restrictions are done, three excellent starters are Ben A'an, Conic Hill and Dumglow, but you have to stay in your own health board area at present, so best to go with the walks in/near Glasgow suggested.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Say hello...