walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Hydration while hiking

Re: Hydration while hiking

Postby Caberfeidh » Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:00 am

Drinking burn water is ok as long as you don't have it lying around festering in your bottle/ container for too long. I once filled up from the Sligachan burn on Skye, but then left the half-used water in the bottle in the Caberfeidh-Mobile whilst I visited a young lady friend for a few days. The car sat baking in the sun of a rare highland heatwave, my water bottle incubating some horrific life-forms unknown to science. After a few days I got back in the car, drove off and drank from the bottle. I had swallowed the fetid water before I realised just how rank it was. Later I had to stop at the Clachaig to use their facilities. Later still I threw up all over Glen Coe. I vomited my way across Rannoch Moor, Bridge of Orchy, Crianlarich, Callander, Doune, Perth, Dundee, and all the way up to Aberdeen. Then the diarrhoea set in. For a week or more I suffered vomiting and diarrhoea, muscle cramps, joint aches, blinding headaches and generally wishing I was dead. As I recovered I was left with a horrific dose of flatulence the like of which Hell hath no, which was unfortunate as I was then posted to a drilling rig in the North Sea. The rig was a jack-up, a mobile drilling rig which was towed into the Danish Sektor, a sektor notorious for the Hydrogen Sulphide gas. The gas detectors were cranked up to eleven... You can see where this is going, can't you? I am possibly the only person in history to shut down production on a rig by farting. Every time I 'vented gas' as we say in the industry, the alarms would go off and we had to muster at the lifeboat muster stations. All through the night, over and over... Luckily no-one twigged it was me, I would have been lynched! :shock:

North Sea Platforms#r.jpg
Danger - gas!
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Fiona Reid » Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:48 am

1l in an sigg style bottle and a water to go filter bottle for top ups from streams. Hubby got dicky guts from drinking stream water years back and we now don't risk it at all. Everything goes through the filter bottle.
Fiona Reid
Mountaineer

Munros:121   Corbetts:35
Fionas:219   Donalds:86
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:44
Wainwrights:61   

Postby CharlesT » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:24 am

I must be descended from a Camel. I take a 750 ml flask of coffee and a 750 ml SIGG bottle of diluted orange barley water. Frequently I finish the coffee back at the car and have over half the juice left. Doesn't seem to alter however long or short, hot or cold the day is.

My other antecedent must be a Rhinoceros as I have drunk from mountain streams all my life without any ill effects. :D
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby litljortindan » Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:32 pm

Since I had a stuck kidney stone and discovered that I am missing a kidney I tend to carry more water than strictly necessary, so 3l for a full day's walking and usually at least 2l as well as an extra litre that I drink before setting off. I also carry a lifestraw filter and a cup to go with it. For a low level walk I would probably cut back to carrying 1l-2l.
During one of my kidney stone hospital stays the kidney doctor said it is most important to rehydrate after exercise.
I do pay attention to urine colour as an indicator of hydration but I've also learned that this can be misleading on a warm day; for example, after a day's walking on Eigg when the temperature was up to 25 Celsius I had a good 2l of water to drink afterwards and the pee was crystal clear but in the morning was alarmingly dark. Thankfully that wasn't enough to precipitate another stuck stone but it made me realise I should be more careful on warm days.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby Alteknacker » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:14 pm

CharlesT wrote: My other antecedent must be a Rhinoceros as I have drunk from mountain streams all my life without any ill effects. :D

I'm the same - and have never had any bad effects. Typically for a long day I'll carry 2 litres, and a long summer day, 4 litres. I did a longish walk on Skye once on a blistering hot day, and drank 4 litres without anything coming out of the other end; was parched as hell when I got to the other end, and then drank at least a further 4 litres!
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Alteknacker » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:14 pm

CharlesT wrote: My other antecedent must be a Rhinoceros as I have drunk from mountain streams all my life without any ill effects. :D

I'm the same - and have never had any bad effects. Typically for a long day I'll carry 2 litres, and a long summer day, 4 litres. I did a longish walk on Skye once on a blistering hot day, and drank 4 litres without anything coming out of the other end; was parched as hell when I got to the other end, and then drank at least a further 4 litres!
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Pastychomper » Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:42 am

I reckon min. 2 litres in the summer and one in winter, but have often doubled that before I started using local water. I don't generally drink from burns without some kind of treatment (tablet :sick:, heat or filter), but I'd use a high spring if I was desperate. My theory is that highland burn water will almost always be safe but I'd rather carry extra weight every time than leave my breakfast behind once.

Lately I've acquired a Sawyer Mini, which is great on top of a bottle but slow enough that I'd still carry an extra litre or two.
Pastychomper
Wanderer

Munros:5   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:8   
Islands:5

Postby Marty_JG » Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:31 pm

The Sawyer Squeeze has a better flow rate than the Mini but it's a bit bulkier. A lot of people are recommending Katadyn BeFree due to it's amazing flow rate and low weight. The downside is it needs its own bag (it's not universal fit) but if flow-rate is of importance to someone it's worth a look.

https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/equipment-c3/water-treatment-c24/water-filters-c165/befree-water-filtration-system-0-6l-p7645

Personally I don't mind the Mini flow rate and am quite happy to take a five minute break. :lol:
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby bydand_loon » Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:23 pm

Marty_JG wrote:The Sawyer Squeeze has a better flow rate than the Mini but it's a bit bulkier. A lot of people are recommending Katadyn BeFree due to it's amazing flow rate and low weight. The downside is it needs its own bag (it's not universal fit) but if flow-rate is of importance to someone it's worth a look.

https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/equipment-c3/water-treatment-c24/water-filters-c165/befree-water-filtration-system-0-6l-p7645

Personally I don't mind the Mini flow rate and am quite happy to take a five minute break. :lol:

The CNOC Vecto 42mm 2 or 3 litre bags fit the Befree perfectly, they have the added advantage of also being filled from the bottom, great for scooping from really small burns.

Me, I carry a wee plastic smartwater bottle, or my preferred option, a small wide mouth lucozade bottle, week or more trips I'll probably have both, but invariably one will always be empty.

I also always have an empty 2ltr platypus or CNOC soft collapsible bottle in my rucksack for camp or waterless areas. No chance I'm walking around with an extra 2 or 3kg when the stuff is everywhere. 99% I drink from streams on the move without a filter, use a water filter if the burn has passed through habitated areas or is in spate
bydand_loon
Hill Bagger

Postby Marty_JG » Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:44 pm

I have a 2l Evernew bladder with the scoop-open top. That's my dirty bag. I'll direct directly from it via the filter itself, or squeeze it into a 1 litre Evernew bladder.

The Vecto BeFree looks a very interesting setup.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion