walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Macdui and Cairngorm

Ben Macdui and Cairngorm

Postby bio-man » Tue May 05, 2009 11:11 am

Route description: Ben Macdui and Cairngorm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Macdui, Cairn Gorm

Date walked: 05/05/2009

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Completed this a few weeks ago, hence the snow, although there is a bit of snow in the Cairngorms just now. A fantastic day out which can be shortened if necessary. There wasn't many people out and about being a week-day, but I'd checked the forecast and managed to get a day off work!! :D As you can see from the photos, the weather was excellent, 100% visibility, but very cold. In good conditions, there's nothing tricky involved at all, it's just a long way.

Cairn Lochan and Coire an Lochain.jpg

The stretch from the start point to the cairn at 1083m is breathtaking in itself, with great views opening up for miles
North West for miles!!.jpg

Loch Morlich and Aviemore.jpg

Once on the plateau, before the cairn, the wind really picked up.....balaclava-time :o

The incline just south of the cairn and north of the March Burn was the only point in the day where crampons were needed, just sheet ice and a drop to the Laraig Ghru not far away!!

The Lairig Ghru - Devils Point and Cairn Toul.jpg

Towards Ben MacDui.jpg

The summit of Ben MacDui can be seen and looks a long way away, but once the crampons were off, the going was good. I could see someone in front on skis, who I met at the summit. Ermanno Rambelli, originally from Italy, now living in Glasgow. He took my photo then skied off into the distance. When I looked at how far Cairn Gorm was, I wished for a moment that I was on skis as well!!

Summit at last!!.jpg
Those chest pockets don't do well for the profile!!

Ben MacDui, Cairn Toul and Sgor an Lochain Uaine.jpg

Heading over towards Cairn Gorm and could see that there were a few more people out and about. I have to remember to add an extra hour to my times as I'm forever chatting and handing out cards advertising my forthcoming challenge. At the snow-holes in Coire Domhain i chatted to a guy on skis. I was telling him about the challenge and why I was doing it. He asked me if I had heard of Karen Darke, who had been paralysed in a climbing accident. I explained that that I was going to hear her talk in Birnham in a few weeks time. The guy said that he used be a neighbour of hers and as he was a BT engineer had installed her telephones!! Surreal!!

Anyway, had a good look into the Northern Corries, few folk ice-climbing as well!!

Coire an Sneachda.jpg

Onto the summit of Cairn Gorm, the hardest part of the day in terms of tiredness

Ben MacDui from Cairn Gorm.jpg

Headed off down the described route for a well earned pint at the ski centre, then off on the bus to the station. A long but satisfying day out.

End of the Day!!.jpg
bio-man
Munro compleatist

Munros:1   

Re: Ben Macdui and Cairngorm

Postby Paul Webster » Tue May 05, 2009 1:40 pm

Some stunning shots there - love the fourth one especially, really catches the atmosphere up there. Have you recce'd your entire route?
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby bio-man » Tue May 05, 2009 3:15 pm

Thanks Paul.....it was the first full day of 100% visibility that I've had in the 'Gorms, very special :D

I will have come Sunday!! Heading to the Grey Corries and Aonachs for 2 overnighters at the weekend. Haven't done them continuous before!! Weather looks great, not!! :)
bio-man
Munro compleatist

Postby yokehead » Tue May 05, 2009 5:39 pm

Agreed, 4th photo is excellent. Enjoyed your report.
yokehead

Munros:73   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:118
Wainwrights:23   

Postby bio-man » Tue May 05, 2009 6:48 pm

Cheers!! :D
bio-man
Munro compleatist

Postby sloosh » Wed May 06, 2009 4:53 pm

Any sign of the grey man? :shock: :? :)
sloosh

Munros:62   Corbetts:1

Postby bio-man » Thu May 07, 2009 1:44 pm

Not that day......bright sunshine, I suppose!! Although I've been on the mountain before, but in poor visibility and felt a few times that there was someone walking behind me....spooky!! :evil: :shock:
bio-man
Munro compleatist

Postby ken reid » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:30 pm

hi bio-man just fond this site, liked the photos of your trip the last time I was on ben macdui was this feb ther were 8 of us in a shlter having lunch out of the wind but ther was a lot more snow on top we estimated we were around 15ft higer than normal, we returnd via the goat track a nice decent with crampons and axe required.
ken reid
Mountain Walker

Munros:246   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland