walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

ViewRanger

ViewRanger

Postby KC Pendragon » Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:41 pm

Hi. There doesn’t appear to be the usual link to ViewRanger on WH routes. Does anyone know why please? Thanks
KC Pendragon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:138
Fionas:12   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:7

Re: ViewRanger

Postby AyrshireAlps » Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:34 pm

Viewranger is no more, WH guys are looking at options last I read.
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Postby WalkWithWallace » Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:10 am

KC Pendragon wrote:Hi. There doesn’t appear to be the usual link to ViewRanger on WH routes. Does anyone know why please? Thanks

Just download the standard gpx from Walkhighlands onto your phone, then import it from ViewRanger and the WH route will appear.
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:193
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby Paul Webster » Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:17 am

This will get you the route line, but not the full WH route description for offline use. It's the latter ("premium routes") that Viewranger have scrapped, and we're considering options for (I realise not relevant to people who don't want that).
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby jayedubya73 » Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:58 pm

Wow- its been 2-3 months since I downloaded one, so haven't picked up they are no more. That's a blow, the VR routes have been excellent. Is there a decent alternative in mind?

john
jayedubya73
Hill Bagger

Munros:233   Corbetts:6
Fionas:5   Donalds:12+6
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby WalkWithWallace » Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:30 am

Paul Webster wrote:This will get you the route line, but not the full WH route description for offline use. It's the latter ("premium routes") that Viewranger have scrapped, and we're considering options for (I realise not relevant to people who don't want that).

That's true. I used to save the route description on my phone so it can be viewed offline. Download the gpx, job's a good un. 8)
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:193
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby Martraven » Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:51 pm

This is the reply I got from ViewRanger;

ViewRanger is now part of Outdooractive and ViewRanger is no longer selling new subscriptions. Any existing VR subscripting will be honoured until it expires in 2021.

Outdooractive works on a subscription basis. When connect your ViewRanger account to Outdooractive, you'll be given a free period or a voucher based on what you own in ViewRanger. The subscription gives you the whole country, plus numerous other countries, rather than needing to buy separate subscriptions in ViewRanger. The maps are all up to date, updated regularly. And for OS GB, the maps are the high resolution ones, not available in ViewRanger.

Any gifted OA subscription will not automatically renew when it expires. OA charge an annual fee of €30 for Pro or €60 for Pro+ (or in-app £26.99 for PRO and £53.99 for PRO+).

ViewRanger credits do not transfer to Outdooractive, but they are taken account of when they set you up initially and obtain an incentive in OA.

You can continue using ViewRanger, it is not stopping, but we are only doing maintenance on it now, no new development.

Outdooractive bought the company behind ViewRanger, with the aim of combining the two to make the best possible outdoors app and service. Over the last year we've been working to add the best features of ViewRanger to Outdooractive (for example Buddy Beacon, Skyline, Wear, Challenges), and that continues, with the aim of making Outdooractive the best app. So we do expect most people will choose to move to Outdooractive over the coming year. But you are welcome to stay using ViewRanger.
Martraven
Walker

Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:4
Islands:16

Postby KC Pendragon » Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:23 pm

WalkWithWallace wrote:
KC Pendragon wrote:Hi. There doesn’t appear to be the usual link to ViewRanger on WH routes. Does anyone know why please? Thanks

Just download the standard gpx from Walkhighlands onto your phone, then import it from ViewRanger and the WH route will appear.[/quote

Thanks so much! I’m so un-tech minded 👍
KC Pendragon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:138
Fionas:12   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:7

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion