walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Arthurs & Bonscale Pike's Ullswater May B/H

Arthurs & Bonscale Pike's Ullswater May B/H

Postby 37lumleyst » Mon May 04, 2009 8:16 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Arthur's Pike, Bonscale Pike

Date walked: 04/05/2009

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We started out on Saturday 2nd May from waterside Farm campsite in Ullswater. The weather was fine and clear but a little chilly. I had my wife as company and my son in our Mac-pack Vamoos child carrier strapped to my back for the days walk ahead. Very quickly we came to Parkfoot campsite which is where we turned and walked up through the site and out onto the fell just after their pony trekking centre.

View to Arthurs Pike from the lower hills above Ullswater.jpg

From this point on you leave all the noise and hustle of low level campers and everything that goes with it behind. Its a great feeling when you close the gate behind you and your eyes look up the slope towards the tops of Arthurs, Bonscale and Loadpot stretched out invitingly before you. We soon found our pace and settled down for the mornings pull up to Arthurs Pike. The day stayed sunny but it had a real bite in the N/W wind so we stopped and dressed our son in his ‘snow suit’ which he loves (You get cold when just sitting) and then we were off again.

Looking back at the grassy ascent route.jpg

First view of the summit cairn.jpg

We soon reached Arthurs Pike which gave us some great views down the length of Ullswater and the central Fells beyond. Helvellyn and both edges were clearly visible with a little zoom on the camera. From Arthurs you can clearly see your route across to Bonscale which is easily achieved.

Looking SW towards Helvellyn from Arthurs Pike.jpg

Helvellyn with Striding and Swirrel Edge from Bonbscal Pike.jpg

We stopped for lunch (Pick-nick) in the lea of Bonscale before heading down into Howtown with a view of catching the ferry intoPooly Bridge for beer and food. The path almost immediately disappears as you leave the summit and start your descent. This steep grassy slope is quite challenging as it starts with a gentle descent and quickly turns into a very steep slope. None the less the path comes and goes as you traverse and descend with the contours of the fell side. The views down into Howtown are well worth it. Unfortunately too worth it as we saw our time scheduled ferry dock and then leave when we were still several hundred feet up the side of the hill!!

Howtown from Bonscale Pike descent.jpg

The top of the grasy descent into Howtown.jpg

So when we reached the bottom we followed the track back to the mouth of the valley and back to our camp site. A very pleasant 7.5 mile walk in sunny spring conditions.

For a review on how I got on with my new walking poles, see the general notice board under ‘walking poles’ which I posted a week or so back.
Last edited by 37lumleyst on Tue May 05, 2009 8:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
37lumleyst

Munros:6   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:49
Wainwrights:56   

Re: Arthurs & Bonscale Pike's Ullswater May B/H

Postby Paul Webster » Tue May 05, 2009 8:43 am

Enjoyed that - I've never been to that part of the Lakes. Like the photo looking into the eastern corrie of Helvellyn, and the one looking down to Howtown - which looks a great spot.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Re: Arthurs & Bonscale Pike's Ullswater May B/H

Postby GarryH » Tue May 05, 2009 7:42 pm

Enjoyable report and glad to see you didn`t waste your money on the poles.
GarryH

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland