walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Deep snow on Carn na h-Easgainn

Deep snow on Carn na h-Easgainn

Postby Jaxter » Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:44 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Càrn na h-Easgainn

Date walked: 03/01/2021

Time taken: 2.35 hours

Distance: 7.27 km

Ascent: 302m

9 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It had been a fairly disappointing holiday due to a combination of lockdown but more my complete exhaustion and inability to get off the sofa. But there had been a big dump of snow and we really needed to get out of the house....it was a short and easy drive along the A9 but as soon as we turned off we were into deep snow!

Fortunately Malky's winter tyres were up to it, and we were on our way, crunching through the snow. It looked beautiful on all the trees

We followed the road towards the houses at Lynebeg

As we climbed up towards the farm at Lynemore, we passed some tightrope walking chickens :lol:

The mist was lying in the glen, but we could see the mountain ahead appearing out of the cloud

The snow was starting to sparkle as sun broke through the clouds in places.

There were other people ahead of us as we plodded through the snow – despite being relatively well-trodden it was hard work!

We crossed the burn easily

The first section from the burn crossing is the steepest and it felt like it was going on forever. My breathing was all over the place and I was exhausted.

Looking back we could see things coming in and out of the cloud

The track was easy enough to walk on, but now we had gained a bit of height we could see deep snow everywhere else

Now we were a little higher the track had filled in and we were very glad of the people who had been up over the few days before for creating a path through!

We could see the sun starting to come through as we made our way across the flat section before the final climb

Ahead

We could see the blue sky ahead

We were passed by a big group with lots of kids and sledges coming down, and just before the summit we could see where they’d been spending the day :lol:

Summit ahoy 8)

The snow looked amazing – it felt awesome to be out in it 8)

We were finally at the summit 8)

The peat hags at the summit were completely filled in with snow

The cloud was hadn’t quite cleared but the wind was virtually nothing and it was nice to stand around and enjoy being outside. Malky had carried up a flask of tea which we were able to enjoy. As the sky got a bit brighter, we could see a fog bow (which wouldn’t fit into one photo :lol: )

And a faint brocken spectre 8)

Another person arrived so we decided we should head back down – I was going pretty slowly so it would take me a while to get back :roll:

We had a wee look at the igloos and snow holes that the kids had made – a little small for an adult, but I just managed to squeeze through :lol:

The cloud did clear as we came down and we could see across to Carn nan Tri-tighearnan (which would have been even more of a nightmare in the snow than when we were there :lol: )

Looking back

The paper mill out past the airport

Beinn Dearg peeking through the cloud

As we dropped back down we were heading back into the cloud

By the time we were back into the trees the evening was getting on

The sky was pretty as the sun set behind us. I was dragging my feet by the time we reached the road and fortunately I didn’t have to drive :lol:

It was a lot of fun to get out but definitely paid for it later :roll: :lol:
Attachments

activity_6048313665.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Re: Deep snow on Carn na h-Easgainn

Postby Alteknacker » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:59 pm

Looks wonderful. Am really jealous :sick:

But on the positive side, I get my first jab next Friday!!!
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Jaxter » Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:57 pm

Alteknacker wrote:Looks wonderful. Am really jealous :sick:

But on the positive side, I get my first jab next Friday!!!

It felt so good to be out in the snow, even if I was practically dying :lol: Good luck with the jab - that's great news :clap:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Postby hjbworton » Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:55 pm

Terrific report as usual - I love to read em, instructive and inspirational.

Just read your article about Long COVID - Think it’s important folk understand that it’s a real thing and pretty darn scary in its own right. Considering everything it’s positive that you can get out at all..and I’m sure science will find a treatment for it soon.

Anyway, just wanted to post a message of support - and I’m thinking that folk who are frustrated at not being able to get into the hills due to the current restrictions will maybe take it as a warning to be even more careful to not catch COVID ? If you can be struck down with it then anyone can.

All the best
hjbworton
Scrambler

Munros:17   Corbetts:15
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:5   

9 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland