walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Coast to coast : dawn to dusk

Coast to coast : dawn to dusk

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:26 pm

Route description: Cùl Beag

Corbetts included on this walk: Cùl Beag

Date walked: 29/09/2020

Distance: 10.5 km

Ascent: 729m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

As we progressed through the strange time of semi lockdown and restrictions in the autumn of 2020 I found my thoughts wandering to Assynt, so we decided to give up the tyranny of munro bagging for one day a head for an Assynt corbett. There were some good reasons for this, first of all we both love Assynt, secondly the hills there are doable in a day trip from home and thirdly we could take our elderly spaniel, Biggles, with us. He'd been retired from long hill days last year but at thirteen and a half he was still showing healthy signs of enjoying the great outdoors. Cul Beag should be within his limits.

The start was relaxed, even time to take some dawn views of the Cromarty Firth before we left.

Dawn with a jack up

An easy run to Ullapool (only spoilt by the inconsiderate behaviour of a group of fat middle aged men in confederate style bikng gear using their bikes to prevent anyone else using the Petrol Station :( :shock: causing massive queues down the main road). But once we were on the road north their behaviour was forgotten, eclipsed by the grandeur of the landscape.

Cul Beag and Cul Mor at the start of the walk

with a clear message for walkers

reflective mode

Cul Beag with Roger and Biggles off in front.

Biggles making the most of a rest stop :lol: :lol:
he got his rewards :D

Cul Beag getting closer

with Cul Mor over to our right

Skyscape to the south

Juniper - I've never noticed as much juniper as on this hill

Humans fuelled by cake, but not the type for sharing with a dog :( :(

Looking south west towards Ben More Coigach and Sgurr an Fhidhleir

then north east to the Assynt Munros across the amazing pancake rocks of Meall Dearg

From the bealach between Meall Dearg, Biggles investigates

we admire the lochan

before starting the final (steep) ascent (with rest breaks :lol: :lol: )

Roger and Biggles safely at the summit

Even when I know the views from the top will be stunning I wasn't really prepared for just how stunning

Stac Pollaidh

Loch Lurgainn

Stac Pollaidh crept into the viewfinder again :lol: :lol:

Looking north east over Assynt

Coastal view north

On the return trip Biggles decided to investigate the lochan further

South west cliffs of Cul Mor

and the Assynt Munros

Almost back, Cul Mor reflection

Not quite sunset :lol: :lol:

Last look at three stunning hills

We drove home happy with the day and delighted to get Biggles out into the environment he has learned to love. Sadly we didn't realise that this was going to be his last hillwalk. Over the next two and a half months he walked up (little) local hills, went on forest walks and coast walks, but then, just before Christmas, his kidneys failed and we had to make the sad decision that prolonging his life would not have been kind. This was a double hit for us, Bertie, his life long canine companion, had died from cancer at the end of June and so our two great hill companions had gone. They had beaten us to the top of over a hundred Munros; one day I'll write about them and the great times we had together - but not yet.
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Re: Coast to coast : dawn to dusk

Postby Verylatestarter » Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:52 pm

I'm truly sorry for your loss. You must miss them terribly.

John
Verylatestarter
Mountain Walker

Munros:35   Corbetts:11
Fionas:3   
Islands:5

Postby Sgurr » Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:57 pm

Oh dear. Their lives are so sadly short. We wonder if we will see daughter's spaniel again: over a year now since we have been allowed to go over there. No grandchildren and no grand-dogs. Sad for you.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Hillbeback » Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:02 pm

It just goes to show that it doesn't have to be Munros and other smaller hills can offer just as good, if not even better scenery. Assynt is one place l would like to go to and enjoy the walking in this fantastic landscape.

I'm so sorry for your loss of both your dogs. Biggles had a great day in September and right up to that fateful day. We lost our black labrador Glen on 1st July. He was over 14years old. He, like your dogs, lived his life to the full. We dog owners try to make their short lives abundant with adventures and they give us something even better...... unconditional love. We still have Shane, a yellow labrador who will be 12years old in May. Don't know how we would have coped if we didn't have him.

Take care.
Moira
Hillbeback

Munros:67   Corbetts:6
Fionas:4   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:4   

Postby Pietrach » Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:00 pm

I am trully sorry for your loss.
Beautiful photos and a memorable trip!
Pietrach
Munro compleatist

Munros:11   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:58 pm

Thank you all for your kind comments, they are much appreciated.

Verylatestarter wrote:I'm truly sorry for your loss. You must miss them terribly.

John

Thanks John, we do.

Sgurr wrote:Oh dear. Their lives are so sadly short. We wonder if we will see daughter's spaniel again: over a year now since we have been allowed to go over there. No grandchildren and no grand-dogs. Sad for you.

Yes and when we take on a new dog we know what is likely to happen, but still we do it, and will again. I hope you are at least able to see your family by video link, and even the grand-dogs (although once ours earliest they wouldn't get treats from the people they saw on screen they lost interest :roll: :roll: .

Hillbeback wrote:It just goes to show that it doesn't have to be Munros and other smaller hills can offer just as good, if not even better scenery. Assynt is one place l would like to go to and enjoy the walking in this fantastic landscape.

I'm so sorry for your loss of both your dogs. Biggles had a great day in September and right up to that fateful day. We lost our black labrador Glen on 1st July. He was over 14years old. He, like your dogs, lived his life to the full. We dog owners try to make their short lives abundant with adventures and they give us something even better...... unconditional love. We still have Shane, a yellow labrador who will be 12years old in May. Don't know how we would have coped if we didn't have him.

Take care.
Moira

Thank you Moira. Assynt is very special and we are lucky to live not too far away even if we are distracted by Munros :roll: Sorry to hear about Glen and glad to know you were comforted by Shane, did he miss his companion? I hope you all manage to find some wonderful outdoor adventures in these restricted times.

Pietrach wrote:I am trully sorry for your loss.
Beautiful photos and a memorable trip!

Thank you - the Assynt hills are really special a wonderful place to have made such an important memory

Liz
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Postby Hillbeback » Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:23 pm

Thank you Moira. Assynt is very special and we are lucky to live not too far away even if we are distracted by Munros :roll: Sorry to hear about Glen and glad to know you were comforted by Shane, did he miss his companion? I hope you all manage to find some wonderful outdoor adventures in these restricted times.

Liz,
Yes Shane did miss Glen. That first day he kept going up to the gate and sniffing. It was painful to watch. At the park if he saw a black labrador he would stare, thinking it was Glen and was ready to run to it. Looking forward to getting back amongst the hills soon.
Moira
Hillbeback

Munros:67   Corbetts:6
Fionas:4   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:4   

Postby dogplodder » Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:09 pm

How hard it is to lose our beloved hill companions. I also remember Cul Beag with mixed emotions as Jack and Tess were with me the day I did it. But we need to hold on to those great hill days they had and that we didn't let them suffer at the end. I'll never forget the enthusiasm of your two boys with noses down still quartering the ground after a long day on three big Affric Munros! And you know I have a special soft spot for Biggles who adopted me on Gulvain. x

Your photos are up to their usual standard and what a beautiful day that was! :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:26 pm

dogplodder wrote:How hard it is to lose our beloved hill companions. I also remember Cul Beag with mixed emotions as Jack and Tess were with me the day I did it. But we need to hold on to those great hill days they had and that we didn't let them suffer at the end. I'll never forget the enthusiasm of your two boys with noses down still quartering the ground after a long day on three big Affric Munros! And you know I have a special soft spot for Biggles who adopted me on Gulvain. x

Your photos are up to their usual standard and what a beautiful day that was! :D

Many thanks DP, I still laugh a lot when I think of some of the things they got up to - and the luxury of not having to hunt for my shoes because Bertie had hidden them and forgotten where :lol: :lol: . The good times are worth the tears. :D
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:28 pm

Hillbeback wrote:Yes Shane did miss Glen. That first day he kept going up to the gate and sniffing. It was painful to watch. At the park if he saw a black labrador he would stare, thinking it was Glen and was ready to run to it. Looking forward to getting back amongst the hills soon.
Moira

Likewise, this time will pass :D :D
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Postby Anne C » Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:40 pm

A very sad loss but what lovely memories you shared. Very difficult to lose two much loved companions in a single year too.
You got some great shots over Assynt to Stac Pollaidh.Amazing Assynt.
Anne C
Walker

Munros:142   Corbetts:30
Fionas:34   Donalds:29
Sub 2000:48   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:57

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:00 pm

Anne C wrote:A very sad loss but what lovely memories you shared. Very difficult to lose two much loved companions in a single year too.
You got some great shots over Assynt to Stac Pollaidh.Amazing Assynt.

Thanks Anne, it was a fitting last big hill for us all, I'm looking forward to spending more time in Assynt as things improve :D :D
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Postby past my sell by date » Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:59 pm

I think it was Betjeman who said that one of the great sadnesses of life was the number of pets that we outlived - very true: but lovely pictures of Cul Beag - one I've not done
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland