walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Gulvain and Braigh nan Uamhachan

Gulvain and Braigh nan Uamhachan

Postby bootsandpaddles » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:52 pm

Munros included on this walk: Gulvain

Corbetts included on this walk: Braigh nan Uamhachan

Date walked: 07/09/2010

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 24 km

Ascent: 1300m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I had been wanting to do Gulvain ever since I walked past it and over to Strathan when I was doing the Cape Wrath Trail 3 years ago. We parked in the layby on the A861 at its junction with the A830. Crossing back over the A830 we took the track immediately opposite past some cottages and then turned left along the track up the glen. After a couple of km you cross a bridge and can soon glimpse the roof of a cottage amongst the trees (Wauchan). The huge bulk of Gulvain looms ahead
IMG_2346.JPG
Gulvain
but there is still a long way to go the bridge and ruined buildings at Na Socachan. We were overtaken by a couple of cyclists but we passed them a bit further on where they were having problems with a saddle that seemed to have detached itself from the bike - ouch!! :cry:
The track I had followed towards Cape Wrath turns north at the bridge but for Gulvain you carry straight on and start climbing on quite a good zigzag path. It seems a long slog up to a rocky knoll but it never gets too steep. After that the ground eases a bit and you reach a trig point.
IMG_2349.JPG
Looking along the ridge towards the summit
Then down a bit of dip and up to the summit of Gulvain.
IMG_2351.JPG
The Summit
We dropped our bags on the low point of the dip as we were coimng back that way. After a bite to eat we headed off down into the corrie towards Gualann nan Osna. This descent was very steep and ended in quite boggy ground over which we headed for the climb up to Braigh nan Uamhachan. Plan A had been to carry the camping gear and then drop down to Lochan a Chomhlain, spend the night there and then do Streap the next day. I'm glad we opted for Plan B! :D Both the descent to the lochan and the ascent up Streap Comlaidh looked fiercely steep. So we wandered along the ridge, soon accompanied by a dry stone wall
IMG_2357.JPG
until we reached Na h-Uamhachan from which we descended to the glen, meeting the path just before the start of the forestry.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

bootsandpaddles

Munros:282   Corbetts:103
Donalds:7

Re: Gulvain and Braigh nan Uamhachan

Postby gaffr » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:32 pm

The first time that I went to Gulvain was by bike...well as far as I could reach up the track from the Loch Arkaig road.
I returned later for Uamhachan, same way as yourselves, I just had to pay another visit to Gulvain....It just seemed so welcoming from that side. I quite often find that it is enjoyable to do them from another direction and have ended doing many of the tops in this way. Originally the Corbett was to have been ascended after visiting Streap and its satellite peak but somehow it didn't happen on the day.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland