walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Aonach Eagach Ridge

Aonach Eagach Ridge

Postby Gwalke » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:07 am

Route description: Aonach Eagach

Munros included on this walk: Meall Dearg (Aonach Eagach), Sgòrr nam Fiannaidh (Aonach Eagach)

Date walked: 05/09/2010

Time taken: 7 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Hi guys,

First time poster! Thought I'd upload some photos taken from the ridge. What can I say, this is easily the most spectacular walk I have ever done in my life! My brother and I decided to go a walk. After much debate we decided to tackle the ridge. Looking back I can admit that we were under prepared for what was in store, but we managed to come through unscathed. You really do need to stay calm when tackling this climb, the adrenaline pumping through your viens at times is unreal, and you can easily understand why accidents occur here.

Here's a few snaps; enjoy.
Attachments
P1010278.JPG
P1010269.JPG
P1010259.JPG
P1010254.JPG
P1010238.JPG
P1010234.JPG
P1010223.JPG
P1010218.JPG
P1010215.JPG
Gwalke
Munro compleatist

Munros:42   

Re: Aonach Eagach Ridge

Postby skuk007 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:35 pm

Great route for a first time poster! Like the bit where you and your brother decided to go for a walk, AE Ridge!
That's a mountain expedition in my book, well done for completing it though. :clap:
Which way did you do it? Did you go West to East?
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby Barnety2000 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:28 pm

Nice dramatic pictures with the clouds rolling in on one side of the ridge! I take it this wasn't your first Munro walk...very brave if it was! :lol:
Barnety2000
Stravaiging

Munros:128   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:4

Postby Gwalke » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:23 am

Thanks guys! We tackled it from Lost Valley side, east to west i think (uploaded photos show it the opposite way). Yeah the clouds were fantastic, on the north side we couldnt see a thing compared to the south which was clear all day, very dramatic as you say. You really need to be careful if its windy, at points the wind funnels up through parts and gathers pace - not good if your on a pinacle! :shifty:

We've done a few Munro's but not for a while, definitely caught the bug again after this!
Gwalke
Munro compleatist

Munros:42   

Postby Jockstar » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:23 am

well done on completing this walk..it looks awesome!!!!! Maybe get a chance myself at the end of October with the meet at Glen Coe. The last photo is great..fabulous clouds and you can see the atmosphere... :D
Jockstar
Munro compleatist

Munros:53   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland