walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Dress For The Hills

Dress For The Hills

Postby Jim777 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:14 pm

Date walked: 28/02/2021

Distance: 8 km

Ascent: 650m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I won’t bother you with a serious walk report - this is more to do with the people I met on the hill as I was descending. I passed two families on the way down from the summit of Ben Vrackie to Loch a’ Choire.
I should have been brave enough to say something but I didn’t want to get into any arguments with irate parents.
The children in both families (they weren’t together) were basically dressed in trainers and t-shirts.
Admittedly there was no forecast of rain but it was still cold enough at the summit that you didn’t want to hang about. The path itself was covered in snow higher up which necessitated walking up where all the water normally runs down.

6C1D9DA2-BA0E-4EB3-AF67-0A5834582BA6.jpeg
Looking to the summit

As you can see the Loch was still partly frozen.

D6C11FE2-08CE-45C8-B7DC-6E1D555BABF5.jpeg
View from summit

What can you say to parents to dissuade them without getting into an argument?
Last edited by Jim777 on Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim777
Mountain Walker

Re: Dress For The Hills

Postby matt_outandabout » Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:41 pm

Sometimes you cannot argue with stupid.

We had two guys in running shorts and hoodies on Ben Ledi - in -20odd windchill and deep snow this winter. They were shivering at the top within about 30 seconds of arriving. I thought about saying something, but likely it wouldn't have gone down well.

I have on occasion commented, sometimes quite clearly when leading a group as a mountain leader it is easier to say 'as a mountain leader (well prepared group in background), could I suggest that you need some waterproofs today? I think you will struggle...' kind of thing.
I have also made pointed jokes as well - 'Oh, I am glad to be heading down, it is p*ss*ng down up there....!'
matt_outandabout
Wanderer

Munros:81   Corbetts:29
Fionas:22   Donalds:26
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:191
Wainwrights:176   Islands:28

Postby JimboJim » Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:17 am

" Nice to see your enthusiasm, kids....... and good thinking to get mum and dad to carry your safety gear and warm clothing for when you get to the top!" 😊
JimboJim
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:55
Fionas:15   
Sub 2000:23   
Islands:22
Walk wish-list

Postby daisie678 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:36 pm

That's so shocking for me how could parents do that with their children, at least they have to wear something warm like a body warmer or sweater.
daisie678
Mountain Walker

Postby al78 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:53 pm

I suspect this is a side effect of tourist summits. Ben Vrackie is Pitlochry's tourist summit. When there is a car park, a well made path, a bit of signage and not too much distance to cover, some think it is benign and there aren't any hazards, so just do it in clothes they would normally wear wandering around town..
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby PeteR » Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:38 pm

You don't want to be climbing Ben Nevis then 🤣 All those sensible shoes and heels.......not to mention the bottles of strongbow in carrier bags 🤣
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland